Reelman Recap

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Reelman Recap

Unread post by Reelman »

Part 1 - Thursday and Friday -

Kicked off our OH trip with a nice visit to see Jason Marker, his lovely wife and new born daughter on Wednesday night. She is an absolute sweetheart and fatherhood looks good on Jason. Thursday morning we got up early, chatted with a few old friends in the breakfast nook before running off to grab some Einstein’s Bagels and head for the warehouse. After we shared our bounty of bagels and said our hellos, we got to work setting up tables. Once the tables were set and numbered, I setup my Dead Reign – Hollywood Horrors minis and accessories. Chatted with Carmen while I setup and marveled at his Robotech cityscape, truly amazing. I also chatted with Lonnie and got the update on Subbie (prayers for a speedy recovery my friend). Meanwhile, the goddess and the little man made a few hundred laps around the warehouse when he was not stealing trucks from my setup or Carmen’s.

After everything was setup, we ran back to the hotel to freshen up for VIP night. When we returned, the party was in full swing, Kathy’s buffet table was overflowing with enough food to feed an army of hungry gamers and by the time Kevin’s welcome speech started the table was laid nearly bare. The little guy really enjoyed the Ziti!

Kevin went over the state of Palladium books, things are positive but many challenges remain, there was talk of Rifts and Nightbane video games, movie talks, sounds like a script is nearing completion and “hopefully” the movie will enter pre-production sometime next year, Rifts comic cross-over, and the mention of tantalizing but secret irons that remain in the fire. Once the welcoming festivities were complete the gaming started.

My first game: Dead Reign – Hollywood Horrors – We got off to a slow start as I needed to throw together an extra character which required a little bribery of Wayne with a bloody chocolate brain cupcake. The first game did not disappoint and my players decimated the Excel studios back lot, took down a few zombies and saved a few fellow victims. Carmen ran amuck in one of the RVs at one point smashing thru studio buildings. The players were all terrific and really got into their characters, before we knew it the lights were out and we were out the door. How time flies when you are having fun. I hitched a ride back to the hotel with a couple of my players from Arizona or New Mexico if I remember correctly, thanks for the ride folks! Back in the room, I did a little game prep for my BTS game on Friday and finally crashed out around 2:30.

The little guy was up at first light and reluctantly we rose with him. We grabbed our gear and his and headed to Bob Evans for some Blueberry pancakes. We arrived at the warehouse around 9:00 and the place was already hopping, I was a little concerned as I had not reset my minis the night before and worried some of the surprises would be given away due to my late arrival. Never fear, my players from the night before reset everything and had it all ready when I arrived. Another example of how friendly and helpful everyone at the OH is, thanks to everyone that helped, it really got the day off on the right foot!

The second running of Dead Reign – Hollywood Horrors was just as awesome as the first run but totally different. It is always amazing to see how different groups come together and attack a problem in a totally different manner than the last group. Again, I gladly added an additional player to the mix; I guess everyone wanted to play with the toys? The Friday morning group rocked, saved a few victims, killed some zombies and managed not to kill each other but not for lack of trying. Everyone rocked but the real standouts in my mind are the four “gentlemen” that played the four actresses characters. All had a different take but really nailed the part in an imaginative and crazy manner, great stuff!

When the Dead Reign games were over, it was time to pack up, yuck! A couple of hours later, gladly interrupted with bouts to visiting and photo taking, it was all stowed in the boxes. While I was packing, I noticed even more commotion than usual at Carmen’s Robotech game and as usual players leaving. A moment later Carmen came over and proudly stated that he made one of his players cry when they died. Something new for the next Open House checklist shirt! As I was finishing off with the packing and getting ready to head out, Diane told me someone was looking to meet me? I dropped my pack and went in search of this misguided fan-boy that wanted to meet me, a total nobody at PB. Moments later I was introduced to Hendrik, he immediately inquired about joining my BTS2 Battle of the Bulge game that night. How could I turn down our new German friend that wanted to play an American in a WW2 game, so I assured him that even if I had to add a character, I would make sure he had a seat at the game?

We made a quick freshen up trip to the hotel and back for BTS2 Battle of the Bulge. The sign-up sheet was full but only 1 player was at the table at game time, moments later Hendrik joined the table but everyone else’s game must have run late, so I slapped an additional character together, just in case and went in search of players. My friends from Gen Con the Smiths were finishing off dinner and joined the table shortly after. We convinced an additional player to join who wanted to just watch. The secret infiltrator character was chosen (YES!) and not by Hendrik who choose the Ghost Hunter, one of 2 characters that did not have the German language skill, oh the irony! A few minutes into the game we realized that our reluctant player who choose the Psi-Mechanic, loved fragmentation grenades, blowing things up, and had little regard for the meaning of fratricide. All the players were fantastic and when they were in the midst of the final battle, the infiltrator character, shot Hendrik in the back to the total surprise of everyone. I was wondering when he would reveal himself and this was the perfect time. The infiltrator character died in a blaze of gun fire and grenade blasts but not before putting the hurt on the Allies. AlexM was kind enough to let us finish up as we ran late. The Allies finished off the German occult team and it was time to head back to the hotel but not before we stood with the Smiths and Hendrik in the parking lot talking for 30 minutes after the game.

I got back to the hotel, gathered up my game prep materials and headed for the café for a little quite time and final prep for my Saturday and Sunday games. Before long, Warwolf wandered down from the gaming suite and we had a nice talk, next thing I knew Jason Marker stopped in for a few minutes before, Bradshaw, Jorel, and Ninja Bunny (I think) stopped in and we all hung out and talked for a while. Despite much peer pressure and cajoling, I finished up my prep and headed to bed and not up to the gaming suite, sorry guys, I am old and tired.

More to come.......
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Re: Reelman Recap

Unread post by Reelman »

Part 2 -Saturday and Sunday

Saturday morning’s thunderstorm woke me just before the alarm, so things were already off with a bang! A quick pit-stop at Einstein’s for breakfast and coffee and back to the warehouse we ran. My table quickly filled up for Chaos Earth – One Minute Past Midnight. Character sheets were handed out and off we went. The pilot in the group truly relished his role and attacked it with fervor. All the players were excellent and challenged me to be on top of my game as well. Before long our objective was complete and we were out of time.

We make a quick trip out to finish off the little mans costume for the contest, grabbed a bite to eat and headed back to the warehouse. We had a little down time, hung out and chatted a bit and then got the littlest Techno-Wizard in costume. I missed the costume contest last year but this year did not disappoint. All the costumes were a lot of fun to see. I really liked the “Glitter” Boy, the Ley Line Walker and Dino-Hunter costumes, the little man really liked Rat Bastards boots, and Diane was a fan of the Saloon Girl and the Zombie Cop. I am a bit biased but the littlest Techno-Wizard costume did turn out pretty well and once he realized the noise and applause was for him, he really enjoyed the attention. As I recall, Rat Bastard won the fantasy category, Zombie Cop won the modern/horror category and the Ley Line Walker won the Rifts category, and the littlest Techno-Wizard earned a much appreciated Honorable Mention! Everyone’s costumes were great; thanks for letting my little guy join in the fun! After the costume contest, we hung out for the auction, picked a couple of books, a display shirt I did not have and the best item of the auction (besides the Crimson Palladium Fantasy that Hendrik won) Carl Gleba original one and only art rendering. I would lord it over everyone but they would likely look at me with pity and not envy so I will simply display it proudly with my other Palladium artwork. After the auction, I collected my winnings and we headed for the hotel to pack and crash. Had a little dinner from Bennigan’s, packed and that was all she wrote for Saturday.

We loaded up the car on Sunday, grabbed a quick bite and back to the warehouse for the last day of fun and craziness. My Sunday morning game was Chaos Earth – Siege of Firebase Nowhere. The PCs were all burn outs and rejects that were assigned to this firebase on the edge of CS territory. Even with everyone being tired from a long weekend of gaming, including the GM, everyone really took this game and their characters to the limits. During the game, Carmen asked if the little man would like to Godzilla his Robotech setup. Everyone gathered around the cityscape, Carmen dropped him into the middle of the city and he went about taking down buildings and having a good old time destroying everything he could get his hands on. Kalinda has some great photos in another post of the destruction. After that, the Smiths presented me with a framed certificate signed by Kevin proclaiming me the “G_D Father of Souls” and some other lies about my GM ability. I was very touched and humbled at the same time, thanks guys! All of the players were top notch, the bumbling LT that just came over from supply that learned to be a leader but died in the jaws of the Dragon, the Heavy Weapons grunt that played his insubordinate character to the max, the medic corporal that not once but twice brought the Emperor back from the brink of death and was brevet promoted to Colonel and the Emperors personal physician, the eager Dog Boy, the poor communications Warrant Officer that struggled mightily to raise some sort of reinforcements, the hungry Psi-Stalker, and the burnout Sergeant Major trying to get these misfits to work together and not get killed. A truly awesome table of players!

Once the game was over the slow pack up and final goodbye dance started. I had a nice talk with Hendrik, a few minutes catching up with Josh Hilden and had him sign my Dead Reign book, a little retail therapy in with Palladium, talked to Amy and bought a couple of prints, sadly had to decline 3 great dinner offers, and said our goodbyes to our Palladium family. We hit the road around 5 and made to Toledo before the little man decided he wanted some dinner. We fought our way thru the heavy rain between Lima and Dayton and finally made it home around 11:30.

As always the OH was a blast and this one was the best because I had my boy with me, hopefully someday he will share my joy for the game but if not I will always have the pictures to embarrass him with! It was great seeing old friends, hanging out the Palladium crew, running games for AWESOME players, seeing my fellow GMs in action, and just losing ourselves for a couple of days in the love of Palladium books. Thanks again to everyone that played in my games, I hope you had fun! See you all in 2012!
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: Reelman Recap

Unread post by Jorel »

I hope to get in on one of your games in 2012. They looked like great fun. It was a pleasure to meet you. If your son didn't get the prize in the contest, he should have.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)

Return to “Palladium Open House”