Open House 2010: THANK YOU with my two cents!

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Open House 2010: THANK YOU with my two cents!

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

this was my first open house, it will not be the last. I have seen my share of conventions but this one is really special. To say that the Open House was fun would be saying far too little. It was awesome. It is in a nutshell really as simple as that: awesome.

I could meet most of the people I know and like from the boards, so I could put face and voice to them.

Everyone has been approachable, was open minded and easy going. The atmosphere was very friendly and personal. The open house is more like a family meeting (one of the good ones without the boring and obnoxious parts) than anything else.

On top of that I got to game with fine, fine game masters. I played in games of Kevin, Julius, Brandon Aten and James Browne and, my, was that fun!
    + James ran a Beyond the Supernatural game on the backdrop of the Battle of the Buldge. I played Staff Sergeant Warren. Man, am I glad I played that game – the thing had a “script” (mind you, no railroading there) worthy of an Indy movie. Kudos!
    + Brandon ran Splicers; I played a Packmaster called Ferd Eisenmann with his two gore hounds, dear Rowlf and Lucille. If you haven’t looked at Splicers so far, here’s my advise: get it. I did :D . I am very proud to say with due humility and gratefulness that the party (THANK YOU!) in Brandon’s Splicers game even deemed my gaming of that day worthy of the MVP (YAY!!!) which got me one of the great pictures of the wonderful artist Chuck Walton (double-Yay!!!).
    + Julius let us run as members of the infamous Walker family, I was a superhero (at least once in my life I could be that :wink: ) by the name of Cheyenne, a true bow master the like of Hawkeye and Green Arrow; a cross-genre game (and I still think I should have used those Claymores but walking down the street as the 7 Magnificent Walkers +3 was more fun, less explosive though) the memories of which I shall also not forget.
    + What can I say about Kevin’s game? I have never seen a game master run a game with such nonchalant ease and make a simple plot such immense fun to play. The game and my dwarven character Hurin truly made my day ("now, let us talk steel")!

What am I sorry about? I really missed the chance to play in Carmen’s astounding-amazing-stupefying-ly beautifully laid out massive robotech game. Eryk Strombright’s games (any and all of them) would have been great to see. Actually, I could have played 24 hours and would still have missed great games. Yet, there was so much to do, see and there was so much to talk. I would have loved to play in so many more games and I could have talked to y’all for days more.

I have laughed often; I had fun and interesting conversations. I made friends. Good times all around!

A very warm thank you to you Kevin, Julius, Alex, Wayne, Kathy, Joe and everyone of the Palladium crew for hosting this fantastic meeting! Likewise a very warm thank you to anyone I met. I am honoured to have met y’all!

I have enjoyed this immensely!

Kindest regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Re: Open House 2010: THANK YOU with my two cents!

Unread post by mumah »

I also enjoyed talking with you and exchanging dueling photos of our children. You're a fascinating person and truly one of the highlights of the Open House. I look forward to meeting with you again, good sir!
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

It was a pleasure to meet you. Hopefully next time we will play in a game together. I'm glad you had such an awesome time. I wish I could say I got along with my family like I do with the Palladium family. Don't get me wrong, I get along with my family just fine. I think most of people at the POH have the same passion for gaming I do and that is something awesome and beautiful to be a part of. Thanks Hendrik for showin love and supportin the cause. Once again, it was great to meet you face to face, and maybe next time we'll get to meet on the battlefield.

Peace,
Jorel
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

Before the convention I played in few rifts games. I lived through all the games I think, but of course I did not get to play the robotech game so that might be the only reason. I enjoyed it completely, and look forward to the next one. Have my first rifts book. Hey Kevin next year I will try not to set fire to the 14th, and 7th floor in dead reign, but I will not promise not to set the roof on fire if I am surrounded by the undead.
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Hendrik, it was a true pleasure to meet you and get to know you. You were a wonderful player and made the Battle of the Bulge BTS2 game that much more fun. Our wide ranging conversations were awesome and very insightful. Thanks for making the trip, glad you had fun, and I am looking forward to the next time we get to sling dice!
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

Hendrik wrote:Hi there,

this was my first open house, it will not be the last. I have seen my share of conventions but this one is really special. To say that the Open House was fun would be saying far too little. It was awesome. It is in a nutshell really as simple as that: awesome.

I could meet most of the people I know and like from the boards, so I could put face and voice to them.

Everyone has been approachable, was open minded and easy going. The atmosphere was very friendly and personal. The open house is more like a family meeting (one of the good ones without the boring and obnoxious parts) than anything else.

On top of that I got to game with fine, fine game masters. I played in games of Kevin, Julius, Brandon Aten and James Browne and, my, was that fun!
    + James ran a Beyond the Supernatural game on the backdrop of the Battle of the Buldge. I played Staff Sergeant Warren. Man, am I glad I played that game – the thing had a “script” (mind you, no railroading there) worthy of an Indy movie. Kudos!
    + Brandon ran Splicers; I played a Packmaster called Ferd Eisenmann with his two gore hounds, dear Rowlf and Lucille. If you haven’t looked at Splicers so far, here’s my advise: get it. I did :D . I am very proud to say with due humility and gratefulness that the party (THANK YOU!) in Brandon’s Splicers game even deemed my gaming of that day worthy of the MVP (YAY!!!) which got me one of the great pictures of the wonderful artist Chuck Walton (double-Yay!!!).
    + Julius let us run as members of the infamous Walker family, I was a superhero (at least once in my life I could be that :wink: ) by the name of Cheyenne, a true bow master the like of Hawkeye and Green Arrow; a cross-genre game (and I still think I should have used those Claymores but walking down the street as the 7 Magnificent Walkers +3 was more fun, less explosive though) the memories of which I shall also not forget.
    + What can I say about Kevin’s game? I have never seen a game master run a game with such nonchalant ease and make a simple plot such immense fun to play. The game and my dwarven character Hurin truly made my day ("now, let us talk steel")!

What am I sorry about? I really missed the chance to play in Carmen’s astounding-amazing-stupefying-ly beautifully laid out massive robotech game. Eryk Strombright’s games (any and all of them) would have been great to see. Actually, I could have played 24 hours and would still have missed great games. Yet, there was so much to do, see and there was so much to talk. I would have loved to play in so many more games and I could have talked to y’all for days more.

I have laughed often; I had fun and interesting conversations. I made friends. Good times all around!

A very warm thank you to you Kevin, Julius, Alex, Wayne, Kathy, Joe and everyone of the Palladium crew for hosting this fantastic meeting! Likewise a very warm thank you to anyone I met. I am honoured to have met y’all!

I have enjoyed this immensely!

Kindest regards
Hendrik

Yes And The Walker's Angels bar was a fun place to hang out after we won the day. But I still have not shown our legendary walker cousin that I am the best will have to kick him one more time for that, and blame him if they try to pin what happened at th ranch on us......But my SEGA-12 will help keep the A.W.C. (Anti Walker Coalition) at bay for now.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Hey Hendrik,

Glad you didnt die on the plane journey back. :eek:

I ditto what you said and it was cool meeting you. I also overheard others saying "have you met hendrik? he's a cool dude." (I think they were drunk or something) :wink:

Herbie (Paul)
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eryk Stormbright »

hey man, glad to see you got home alright. and i have to agree with everyone else, it kicked ass to finally meet you and talk with you about Palladium and other things, I do hope you can make more OHs... it wouldn't be the same without you man, really. and for 2012 i'll keep a seat open for yeah in all my games i run. talk to yeah laters man!
I am master of all I see.... and I see Everything.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Sorry I missed you Hendrick :( I went looking for you sunday morning, but you were in several conversations everytime I saw you. Hopefully we'll catch up next time :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Hendrik, the couple of short conversations you and I had this weekend were awesome. I just wish we had more time to visit than we did. Maybe next time I'll be able to wrangle you, Dark Elf, Soldier of Od, Andreus, and maybe Pedro into some kind of crazy, pan-European Rifts adventure. Until then, be sure to keep in touch. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Hendrik was the first person I met during my trip (when we finally managed to find each other at Comerica Park), and I thought he was a complete knob. Easily the most annoying idiot at the Open House.

Not really! - I just thought I needed to bring the tone down a bit from the 'I :heart: Hendrik' posts we've had so far. Don't want you getting a big head! Unfortunately, though, they're all right - Hendrik is indeed a great guy - it was really good to have met you, and thanks for the lift from the park. Hopefully, we'll meet again!

Can't wait for Warwolf's pan-European adventure!

Ian.

'Everybody loves Hendrik'
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

My friend thank you so much for coming to this event and I still owe you a pint 8-) -N
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Soldier of Od wrote:'Everybody loves Hendrik'

For what it's worth, you and your brother were downright awesome fellas as well. I have yet to meet a European Palladium Fan I didn't like. Can't wait to see you all again in 2012! :ok:
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi y'all,

Sorry, to be a bit late in replying. RL has caught up with me quite hard, as surreal as it seems at the moment. While I am very happy to be home again, I would not have minded one bit to carry on with gaming with and talking to you for a "bit".

On top of that, I am quite overwhelmed by your replies! Thank you so very much for your kind words.

Warwolf wrote:For what it's worth, you and your brother were downright awesome fellas as well. :ok:

It is worth a lot and I second that wholeheartedly!

bradshaw wrote:My friend thank you so much for coming to this event and I still owe you a pint 8-) -N

That you do, Nick :D ... but then, so do I! May we share that beer rather sooner than later, my friend!

Soldier of Od wrote:Hendrik ... Easily the most annoying idiot at the Open House.

Doing my best ... :angel: ... just doing my best.

Soldier of Od wrote:Not really! - I just thought I needed to bring the tone down a bit from the 'I :heart: Hendrik' posts we've had so far. Don't want you getting a big head!.

No worries.

Soldier of Od wrote:Unfortunately, though, they're all right - Hendrik is indeed a great guy - it was really good to have met you, and thanks for the lift from the park. Hopefully, we'll meet again!.

I am looking forward to see you shortly!

Soldier of Od wrote:Can't wait for Warwolf's pan-European adventure!

YES!

Soldier of Od wrote:'Everybody loves Hendrik'!.

While that is decidedly not true - to my chagrin and detriment but it helps me retain my sanity - thank you very much for such kindness!

Warwolf wrote:Hendrik, the couple of short conversations you and I had this weekend were awesome. I just wish we had more time to visit than we did. Maybe next time I'll be able to wrangle you, Dark Elf, Soldier of Od, Andreus, and maybe Pedro into some kind of crazy, pan-European Rifts adventure. Until then, be sure to keep in touch. :)

Same here! Great talking to you and I will keep in touch!

Carl Gleba wrote:Sorry I missed you Hendrick :( I went looking for you sunday morning, but you were in several conversations everytime I saw you. Hopefully we'll catch up next time :ok:

Carl

I am sorry to have missed you as I wanted to talk to you very much. Carl, thank you for doing the Minion War. It gave me (and a lot of other people) the first two Palladium Fantasy books in a while - Hades and Dyval have been books I wanted to have ever since PFRPG 1st ed came out! That said, I would have loved to have made your acquaintance. I will catch up with you next Open House! Stay well until then but I am sure we will talk on the boards before that.

Eryk Stormbright wrote:hey man, glad to see you got home alright. and i have to agree with everyone else, it kicked ass to finally meet you and talk with you about Palladium and other things, I do hope you can make more OHs... it wouldn't be the same without you man, really. and for 2012 i'll keep a seat open for yeah in all my games i run. talk to yeah laters man!

I start saving for the next OH right now. Thank you for reserving that seat, I WILL use that :-D . I must be there and I must see y'all latest there! Eryk, it was great to see you a couple of days ago! I know we will keep in touch for the sake of our project and anyways!

Jefferson Wells wrote: Hendrik I enjoyed playing Kevin's game with you, you played the dwarf very well and I loved the comments.-Signed the Randy Elven Long bowman

Ah, the randy elf :D That game was AWESOME! I had so much fun. You, my dear Jefferson, left us all with the enigma of how can elves be so ... errrm ... prolific ... and not cover Palladium with a zillion half-elves. :lol: - signed Hurin, dwarven warrior who rather talks steel than anything else - Great gaming with you!

The Dark Elf wrote:Hey Hendrik,

Glad you didnt die on the plane journey back. :eek:

I ditto what you said and it was cool meeting you. I also overheard others saying "have you met hendrik? he's a cool dude." (I think they were drunk or something) :wink:

Herbie (Paul)

They must have been! I, however, have met a lot of cool dudes, you among them!

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:It was good meeting you Hendrik. Hope you make the OH a regular pilgrimmage.

Likewise! I will, whenever my funds allow!

eoptap wrote:Yes And The Walker's Angels bar was a fun place to hang out after we won the day. But I still have not shown our legendary walker cousin that I am the best will have to kick him one more time for that, and blame him if they try to pin what happened at th ranch on us......But my SEGA-12 will help keep the A.W.C. (Anti Walker Coalition) at bay for now.

Who can forget our cousins Babe Walker, Hottie Walker, Chick Walker and their friends Betty-Jo and Marie-Lou? I will treasure those moments for the rest of my life. Nobody can stand in the way where the Walkers walk!!!

Reelman wrote:Hendrik, it was a true pleasure to meet you and get to know you. You were a wonderful player and made the Battle of the Bulge BTS2 game that much more fun. Our wide ranging conversations were awesome and very insightful. Thanks for making the trip, glad you had fun, and I am looking forward to the next time we get to sling dice!

Thank you very much, James! You are a great person (and so is your wife) and a fine DM. I am especially glad I have meet you and your family. I am looking forward to talk and game again soon (even if soon may be in 2012, but, hey, talk about looking forward to something!). I will DM the next open house and I will be glad to have you as a player! Please send my warmest regards to your wife!

jorel wrote:It was a pleasure to meet you. Hopefully next time we will play in a game together. I'm glad you had such an awesome time. I wish I could say I got along with my family like I do with the Palladium family. Don't get me wrong, I get along with my family just fine. I think most of people at the POH have the same passion for gaming I do and that is something awesome and beautiful to be a part of. Thanks Hendrik for showin love and supportin the cause. Once again, it was great to meet you face to face, and maybe next time we'll get to meet on the battlefield.

Peace,
Jorel

Thank you, Jorel! Likewise. I have enjoyed meeting you finally and talking to you and your wife at the OH. I will report on what I think about Dilla when I have heard his music, thank you for showing me new music (and the buttons!).

mumah wrote:I also enjoyed talking with you and exchanging dueling photos of our children. You're a fascinating person and truly one of the highlights of the Open House. I look forward to meeting with you again, good sir!

Thank you, Mike! I have enjoyed meeting you very much! I will load up on photos until we meet again, and then we can do battle - again!!!

Kindest regards & thank you all again for your kind words,
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Warwolf wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:'Everybody loves Hendrik'

For what it's worth, you and your brother were downright awesome fellas as well. I have yet to meet a European Palladium Fan I didn't like. Can't wait to see you all again in 2012! :ok:

Thanks a lot mate. Ditto.

I'm British, so shows of gushing emotion are a strict no-no, but I have to say I really did have the most fantastic time at the open house, and met so many genuinely great people. The whole event completely surpassed my expectations. Everyone was friendly and welcoming, and so down to earth and normal, not the bunch of socially inadequate uber geeks or know-it-all rules lawyers I was afraid of encountering (well, most of them :wink: ). A big thanks from me to all the Palladium staff for their hard work (not least the people on the tills/cash registers), a big thanks to all the people who ran the fantastic games for us, and a big thanks to everyone for making the experience unforgettable.

Christ, that paragraph was far too soppy for my liking.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)

Return to “Palladium Open House”