Detroit: Safety Tips?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Detroit: Safety Tips?

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

I have never been to Detroit and do not know the city. I will stay in a hotel downtown and go to and fro from the Open House by a rental car. My car is also supposed to pack a navigation system.

I am very much looking forward to the Open House.

Now, I have heard that Detroit is not exactly a safe city. Having seen quite a few cities I assume that is not true for the whole city but only for certain areas. Any advise to avoid a decrease in my fun, such as where not to go, which streets or quarters of town to avoid?

Not that I plan to go much out and about, I just want to be able to go back and forth from the hotel safely and get them dice rolling all through the (extended) week end.

Thanking you in advance,
Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Re: Detroit: Safety Tips?

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

My advise is to not go to Detroit at all. Just come to Westland where Palladium is.

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

Fortunately, while Westland is part of the larger Detroit metropolitan complex, it's well away from the dangerous area. I think you'll find the people there friendly and helpful and the whole city quite unlike it's reputation. My only safety tips revolve around driving:

1. Use your blinker.
2. The accepted speed limit is actually five miles faster than posted. Anything slower and you're likely to get run off the road and cause an accident.
3. When turning left at a light, three cars go after the light turns red. The fourth guy is an idiot. The second car, if they stop, might get shot at.
4. Use your blinker.
5. Merge aggresively. Other cars have brakes. They'll use them.
6. Use your blinker.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

MADMANMIKE wrote:My advise is to not go to Detroit at all. Just come to Westland where Palladium is.

-Mike <8]

Thanks, Mike,

but not an option as my hotel is downtown. Or, are you refering to "driving from downtown to Westland is fine but don't go out in Detroit"? If you mean that then I should be fine, I only plan to shuttle, more or less.

Best
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

MADMANMIKE wrote:My advise is to not go to Detroit at all. Just come to Westland where Palladium is.

-Mike <8]

Come on, it can't be that bad, surely? I've been out on the town in loads of American cities and have felt pretty safe in all of them. I can imagine that there are certain areas you'd want to avoid, but is the city centre one of them?
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

mumah wrote:Fortunately, while Westland is part of the larger Detroit metropolitan complex, it's well away from the dangerous area. I think you'll find the people there friendly and helpful and the whole city quite unlike it's reputation. My only safety tips revolve around driving:

1. Use your blinker.
2. The accepted speed limit is actually five miles faster than posted. Anything slower and you're likely to get run off the road and cause an accident.
3. When turning left at a light, three cars go after the light turns red. The fourth guy is an idiot. The second car, if they stop, might get shot at.
4. Use your blinker.
5. Merge aggresively. Other cars have brakes. They'll use them.
6. Use your blinker.

Thanks, Mike,

I should not have a problem with 1, 4 and 6. Being used to Germany I always use ze blinker. 2 and 3 are interesting, I should be able to handle that. 5, well, let's see. I tend to merge peacefully. Or try.

Yet, I was not worried about the traffic. I was more worried about crime.

Best
Hendrik

mumah

Unread post by mumah »

You should be fine. Like I said, Detroit is largely peaceful and unlike its reputation. Why did you get a hotel downtown as opposed to getting the hotel we have reserved? For one, if your downtown, you have AT LEAST a half hour drive, barring traffic.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

mumah wrote:You should be fine. Like I said, Detroit is largely peaceful and unlike its reputation. Why did you get a hotel downtown as opposed to getting the hotel we have reserved? For one, if your downtown, you have AT LEAST a half hour drive, barring traffic.

Thanks! That sounds reassuring.

That is a good question, a good question, indeed. Well, I have never been to the States, somehow never got around to it - I have "just" travelled in Europe, and recently for business in Asia. So, I thought I go to some nice place in the city centre and enjoy a good dinner or some sports event aside from the Open House or just do some shopping or, you know, get to know the city and see (a part of) the US of A. Basically, a tourist with dice, or rather a dice-slinger doing some touristy things.

A 30/60 minute ride is not much, so that spoke not against it.

Also, to be frank, I wanted to have the option to go to another place to sleep so that I can recharge my batteries and not be tempted to play in too many all-nighters and then sleep through a day.

Best,
Hendrik

mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Understandable. There's lots to see and do in Detroit. The Detroit Tigers will be home that weekend so if you wanted to see some baseball, that will be available. ALso, there's a possibility that the Red Wings will be in the playoffs still, but those tickets are hard to come by in Detroit. I look forward to meeting you!
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Soldier of Od wrote:

-Mike <8]

Come on, it can't be that bad, surely? I've been out on the town in loads of American cities and have felt pretty safe in all of them. I can imagine that there are certain areas you'd want to avoid, but is the city centre one of them?

I wouldn't know. I'm saying that Westland is in-between the Airport and Detroit, so going to Detroit is a waste of time. Staying at the hotel in Westland which has a discount, a pretty good free breakfast and all the other Palladium Open House attendees is easier and a lot less stress.

My guess would be that Hendrik is coming from Europe and used a travel agent that gets paid more if he stays at a bigger hotel in the bigger city. Assuming that, let me explain how American cities work. We always refer to the largest city nearby as where we are from so people can see it on the map, especially if we're from a suburb. Suburbs are what we call the cities that are absorbed by the bigger cities as they all expand. Driving from the Airport to Detroit, you pass through other cities, but there is no rural area separating them. Aside from occasional parks, there is constant development along the way.

So although Palladium is in the "Detroit Metro Area", it is in fact actually located in the City of Westland, which is a suburb of Detroit. It has it's own city government and residents pay taxes to Westland, not Detroit.

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

mumah wrote:Understandable. There's lots to see and do in Detroit. The Detroit Tigers will be home that weekend so if you wanted to see some baseball, that will be available. ALso, there's a possibility that the Red Wings will be in the playoffs still, but those tickets are hard to come by in Detroit. I look forward to meeting you!

Likewise!

Say, which seats are good for baseball? Price is not so important (in this case). And, how long is a baseball game?

I have never seen a baseball game, so that would be quite a treat. I know football (have fumbled my way ;-) through being a wide receiver for while) but baseball, well, that would be new.

Cheers
Hendrik

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

MADMANMIKE wrote:My guess would be that Hendrik is coming from Europe and used a travel agent that gets paid more if he stays at a bigger hotel in the bigger city. ...
-Mike <8]

Hi there,

right!

Thank you for the explanation. I actually thought Detroit ends somewhere west of Ann Arbour *sheepish grin*.

Cheers
Hendrik

mumah

Unread post by mumah »

A baseball game usually runs about three hours. If you happen to be in town for the VIP THursday night, the game starts at 1 and should be done with plenty of time to make it to the Open House. The park the Tigers play in is a great stadium, with very few bad seats. I recommend however anything close to home plate. You can order tickets from http://www.detroittigers.com
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Well, the gaming at the hotel tends to run nearly 24 hours a day. Basically keeps going as long as two or more people are awake then they stumble down the hall to their rooms and collapse, then up again in time for the doors of the Open House reopen. Repeat the process until at least a day after the Open House, possibly longer- people have still been playing every time I've left Monday.
So, if you start to get tired enough to have concerns about finding your way back to your own hotel, you might ask about crashing in someone's room.
Also, caffeine. Sweet glorious caffeine.
Two sets of dice, minimum.
If the Kreeghor have missiles, run.
And while I haven't heard any problems with it at the Open House, good city advice is to not leave anything of value visible in the car.
On the subject of cars, if you didn't already plan on it, get the insurance option on the rental. Having a accident would be bad, but having to pay for the damages yourself would be worse.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

One tip I can think of: if you must leave any valuables in your rental car overnight, make sure to place them in the trunk where they are much less likely to be stolen.

Other than that, be sure not to buy anything from sketchy people standing on street corners (or even accept free candy). :P Oh, and if you end up out towards Ann Arbor watch the blind corners on M-13... especially in the rain.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Warwolf wrote:Other than that, be sure not to buy anything from sketchy people standing on street corners (or even accept free candy). :P Oh, and if you end up out towards Ann Arbor watch the blind corners on M-13... especially in the rain.

ZING
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

After reading some other posts on the forums I think I'll head to Downtown Detroit as it should be safer than the Open House.

Oh no, Ive just watched Robocop - ok I'll head back to the POH. :crane:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Murphy?
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Warwolf wrote:Other than that, be sure not to buy anything from sketchy people standing on street corners (or even accept free candy). :P Oh, and if you end up out towards Ann Arbor watch the blind corners on M-13... especially in the rain.

To bad I can't make it, as I have the best candy. :bandit:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Shawn Merrow wrote:

See what I mean, Hendrik... you just can't trust those people, especially if they have a beat up old van. :lol:
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Soldier of Od
Hero

mumah wrote:A baseball game usually runs about three hours. If you happen to be in town for the VIP THursday night, the game starts at 1 and should be done with plenty of time to make it to the Open House. The park the Tigers play in is a great stadium, with very few bad seats. I recommend however anything close to home plate. You can order tickets from http://www.detroittigers.com

What are the chances of just turning up on the day and getting a reasonable seat for the baseball? Or is it something you really should book ahead of time?
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

I think you should be fine. It's an afternoon game in the middle of the week.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Cheers, mate. Thanks for the advice.
Rifter Contributor:
The Galactus Kid

what mumah meant to say wrote:I think you should be fine. It's the Tigers.

Here mumah. I think this is what you meant to say.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

mumah

Unread post by mumah »

The Galactus Kid wrote:

If I were you, Mr. Aten, I would neither get too drunk nor sleep too deeply. For that comment, I may have to have Bradshaw give you a pit-stache.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

mumah wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

If I were you, Mr. Aten, I would neither get too drunk nor sleep too deeply. For that comment, I may have to have Bradshaw give you a pit-stache.

Gorilla mask.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

mumah wrote:I think you should be fine. It's an afternoon game in the middle of the week.

Looks like Im going to a ball game! :ok:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

The Dark Elf wrote:
mumah wrote:I think you should be fine. It's an afternoon game in the middle of the week.

Looks like Im going to a ball game! :ok:

I will be there - treating me to an on deck circle ticket behind the Tigers' dugout.

Mike, thanks for the advise! This is going to be fun!

Cheers
Hendrik

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Soldier of Od wrote:
mumah wrote:A baseball game usually runs about three hours. If you happen to be in town for the VIP THursday night, the game starts at 1 and should be done with plenty of time to make it to the Open House. The park the Tigers play in is a great stadium, with very few bad seats. I recommend however anything close to home plate. You can order tickets from http://www.detroittigers.com

What are the chances of just turning up on the day and getting a reasonable seat for the baseball? Or is it something you really should book ahead of time?

Soldier, I booked ahead of time because I hate cueing for tickets and will be much more relaxed knowing where I will sit. Thanks to Mike's advise re the website, I ordered online and you can print out the ticket so you do not even have to cue for pickung up your advance booked ticket.

Warwolf wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:

See what I mean, Hendrik... you just can't trust those people, especially if they have a beat up old van. :lol:

Shawn, I am very sorry that you are not at the OH, I wanted to thank you personally for the Q&A in the Rifter, which are truly brilliant.

Warwolf, thank you ... van ... candy ... *committing this to memory*

Cheers
Hendrik

Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Hendrik wrote:Shawn, I am very sorry that you are not at the OH, I wanted to thank you personally for the Q&A in the Rifter, which are truly brilliant.

Cheers
Hendrik

Thanks, I'm glad you really enjoyed them. :)

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Nightshade37
Explorer

Unread post by Nightshade37 »

Speaking of safety...there is a nice firing range just down the street from Palladium that I frequent. I will probably be heading over there at some point if any other enthusiasts wanted to join me.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

WOW, what a fun read! Some serious good advise and a great game reward and upcoming friendship from across the seas is always a good sign!

As a pesron who was born and raised in Detroit and grew up in Detroit,(whew) there is much to get into good or bad, depending on what you look for and how you portray yourself. Simply dont look like an anticipating victim, dont flaunt expensive looking goodies carelessly and review the best ways to get to the highways you plan to traverse (likely 1-75 southbound from downtown Detroit which is right off of Jefferson Ave or M-10 the Lodge to 1-75 Southbound also right off of Jefferson (both entrances are close to the Hotels).

This should prevent you from getting lost downtown and get you right on your way to the POH. GPS is good, but I always try to familiarize myself a tid bit before I go anywhere new. Be sure to enjoy yourself as there are plenty of things and if your going to Comerica Park Stadium to enjoy the Tigers then truly enjoy it, the park is wonderful!

Other tips:
1.) Driving can be a bit aggressive (especially during rush hour 7-9AM & 3-6PM) & occasional road rage does occur, often caused by being cut off, just look straight if you feel you did something a little off, dont entertain yelling matches.

2.) As previosuly stated, avoid valuables being exposed or left in the car in the open, even if your just going into a fast food restaurant or to pump gas. This is a MAJOR flag to becoming a victim rather quickly.

3.) When parking near Comerica Park for the Tiger's game, be sure to remember where you parked(cross streets) and be sure its a parking Lot where you hopefully see other cars and ppl going to the baseball game as well (i.e.; Tigers apparel, caps & jerseys). They typically cost $5-10 USD for parking.

4.) If You have any questions/concerns feel free to asks and we will be glad to help you out!
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

DerbyJack wrote:The only bad spots are between Jefferson avenue to Telegraph road other than that your set. Just kidding, you'll know when you drive into a bad neighborhood. Just try to stay north and west. Ecorse is just south of detroit, anything bordering there is not polite. Stay on the main roads you'll be fine. You'll find clumps of great areas inside the city limits and wastelands in between. Besides the freeways will get you to Palladium in about 30 minutes

And be sure to avoid MLK boulevard... the media is there. :-D
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

DerbyJack wrote:
Media?

SHHHHH!!!! The will HEAR you!
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Scott Samson wrote:Stay Close to Jeff Hansen, I hear he's one bad MO FO. ( He's even got it etched on his wallet) :)

:roll:
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

DerbyJack wrote:Media?

It's from an old Chris Rock stand-up routine.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Scott Samson wrote:Stay Close to Jeff Hansen, I hear he's one bad MO FO. ( He's even got it etched on his wallet) :)

Dont you have that on your butt too? LOL
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

thank you all very much for your safety tips!

I am glad to say that I not only survived Detroit but found it to be a genuinely friendly place. I think it is safe to say that the D has a much worse name then what it deserves. While it is certainly true that the city is saddly run-down in places, everyone I met (and not only at the Open House) but anywhere were friendly and welcoming.

At the baseball game my neighbour explained the rules to me. My taxi driver waited 1 hour for me outside a mall without charge (I have to read the newspaper anyway). Etc. etc.

Mind you, I did not go to any hot spots (but the open house :wink: ).

And, the traffic is actually a breeze. It is gently flowing - when not jammed, of course - around Detroit (I did mostly go via expressways and interstate) and but for the occasional blissful ignorer of traffic rules, such as changing lanes from leftmost to rightmost, i.e. crossing 3!, it is a nice enough if slow traffic. But, indeed, control of the traffic by using mirrors and looking arround is highly recommendable.

Cheers
Hendrik

PS: And, Jeff Hansen is a great person! But then I had to decline his kind offer to show me some of Detroit (I needed to be in a game at that time) :-D

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

I spent hours looking for the OCP building with no joy. The sign posts just didnt cut it. :clown:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
The Galactus Kid

The Dark Elf wrote:I spent hours looking for the OCP building with no joy. The sign posts just didnt cut it. :clown:

LOL. ah robocop.

Return to “Palladium Open House”