Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » Palladium Open House

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:53 am

Champion

Forgive my ignorance of not knowing how these things work, but TICKETS?! Is PB so flush with liquid assets that they can say, "oh we're so high falutin' that you've got to pay to hang out with us?" Don't get me wrong, I love PB and they are the ONLY system I have ever played, (well I think I played D6 starwars 2x but that shouldn't count) but I was under the impression that they NEEDED all their fans. At the same time, I can understand if things are so tight that they "have" to sell tickets or they can't hold an open house.

It is all very confusing to me.

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:22 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: Lord of Chaos!
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Forgive my ignorance of not knowing how these things work, but TICKETS?! Is PB so flush with liquid assets that they can say, "oh we're so high falutin' that you've got to pay to hang out with us?" Don't get me wrong, I love PB and they are the ONLY system I have ever played, (well I think I played D6 starwars 2x but that shouldn't count) but I was under the impression that they NEEDED all their fans. At the same time, I can understand if things are so tight that they "have" to sell tickets or they can't hold an open house.

It is all very confusing to me.

There is a lot of planning and expense that goes into hosting around 300 guests. Think of what it would cost you to host that many people at your house.

Renting Of tables and chairs, purchase of food and drinks, organizing games and events, printing badges, getting prizes for the costume contest, food for the VIP night which is catered. Obviously I can't speak for Palladium but the tickets help with much of the cost. Even the soda, pizza and snakes they sell are at a reasonable cost. I don't think Palladium is making a mint here, but you can't honestly expect them to pay for all of this at a loss to the company?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:22 pm

Champion

Carl Gleba wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Forgive my ignorance of not knowing how these things work.

There is a lot of planning and expense that goes into hosting around 300 guests. Think of what it would cost you to host that many people at your house.

Renting Of tables and chairs, purchase of food and drinks, organizing games and events, printing badges, getting prizes for the costume contest, food for the VIP night which is catered. Obviously I can't speak for Palladium but the tickets help with much of the cost. Even the soda, pizza and snakes they sell are at a reasonable cost. I don't think Palladium is making a mint here, but you can't honestly expect them to pay for all of this at a loss to the company?

Thank you for explaining what all goes into it. As I noted above, I don't know what all goes in to any of it.

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:52 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

I've been part of convention teams over the years and its amazing how fast the costs pile up. Also, in the case of company hosting an event, they need to recoup the losses from the time spent in the con planning and hosting and hopefully make a profit. Paizo hosts a con for Pathfinder and WotC hosts one for their Living D&D campaigns. The costs for attending a "company con" are about the same as a regional game convention, but the big difference is more access to authors/artists by the fans and all the gamers in attendance are focused on the company games, aka at the PB OH, all the games are PB games.

Again, that's why the OH is so valuable for PB fans.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:25 am

D-Bee

Guys, I understand that it's expensive for someone.
But publishers are not to blame for the fact that you live very far from the place where convention usually takes place.
I'm from Michigan, I got there.
For the sake of what you love, and what brings you pleasure. Do not feel sorry for the money.
My persoanl opinion :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.