Monstrous Creations

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aramanthus
Monk

Re: Monstrous Creations

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Cool! Sounds cool! I'm looking forward to seeing more of these monsters.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Okay, here's one I created as a response to a player who wanted a character to have one for a companion. It's kind of short, but I did that deliberately. Feel free to adjust or modify as you see fit!

Sabretooth Tiger

Size: About four feet tall at the shoulder and six feet long.
Weight: About three hundred pounds.
AR: 8 (Due to thick, course fur.)
Hit Points: 5d6
SDC: 1d6 X 10
PPE: 1d4
Attacks per Melee: 3
Damage: Claws- 3d6
Bite- 3d6
Gouge (With Sabres)- 5d6
Bonuses: +2 to initiative, +3 to strike, +4 to parry and dodge, +10 to damage, +3 to save vs. HF and +4 to all other saves.
Natural Abilities: Nightvision 300 ft., Climb 50%, Swim 80% (Loves the water), Prowl 90%, Track by smell or sight 60%, leap 15 ft. high and 25 ft. long from a standing position and can perform a leaping pounce which will do double damage if used as an attack.
Speed: 35 (About 30 mph and can race at speeds of 50 mph for 1d6 minutes)
Average Life Span: 20-45 years.
Value: Fur 1,000 gold. Sabre teeth 1,500 gold a piece (Valuable to Alchemists)
Habitat: One of the few animals that is comfortable in any environment.
Range: Extremely rare, but can be found occasionally in dry and arid environments, specifically the Land of the South Winds.
Behavior: Sabretooth tigers are initially quite shy, tending to stay as far away from civilization and humanoids as they can. They will not attack a lone human, even if hungry, unless cornered or ill. However, once befriended these cats are fiercely loyal. Defending friends and family to the death without so much as a second thought. In recent years Ogres and other large monstrous races have taken to capturing these creatures and training them for use in arenas and as personal attack animals. Until they started showing up here, the world at large had little idea that Sabretooth tigers even existed!
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice one! I'm looking forward to trying this one out. Please keep them coming!
Last edited by Aramanthus on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Wasn't exactly expecting Sabertooths but very nice :ok: . Another large cat players in my
group will run from before they try attacking a demon or deevil.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Hey, sorry Mephisto. That's a note referencing one of my custom potions in game. It's an ingredient for a potion I created based off of the rage potion in WOW. Probably should have edited that, my bad.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Aramanthus
Monk

It's ok. We understand. And it makes sence. Although isn't there something similair in Rifts. You could probably bring that spell over to Palladium.

HH....FIE
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

My primary game is PF, so I don't do much with Rifts, though I do have the main book and some of the sourcebooks. Mostly I just use it as reference for stuff that's available for PF or the occasional dimensional rift to Earth.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Deleted
Last edited by Reagren Wright on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nasty! Really scary to run into. But it looks like fun to throw at the players.

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

New Month time for a new monster. Working at the beach again this summer has given me
inspiration for two new critters. Post them when I got a moment.
Aramanthus
Monk

Cool! I can't wait to see it!

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

MANGE FLIES

Ley lines or Transitional Places of Power within swamps are breeding grounds for these
annoying pests. They are essentially large green mosquitoes. Unlike the typical mosquito both
the male and female bite, but its not blood they are after its P.P.E. These tiny P.P.E. vampires
hunt down magic practitioners and those carrying magic items. The bite from this mosquito
drains 1D4 P.P.E. from its victim unless a save vs. magic is made (4 I.S.P. for every 1 P.P.E.).
Those bitten by these mosquitoes that are non non-magic practitioners or psychics do not lose
any P.P.E. Of course, this may seem a miniscule amount of potential psychic energy, but all it
takes is for one mosquito to successful drain one P.P.E. point from a victim when the insect
releases a chemical scent that can be smell a distance of about 4 miles (6.4 km). Two to five
minutes later up to 10-40 (1D4x10) mosquitoes will arrive. It a matter of moments, they can
drain a mage of all his P.P.E. (I.S.P. for psionics). Each mosquito is capable of draining 10
P.P.E. which satiates the insect for 24 hours. For all purposes, mages and psychics have no
choice but to flee, destroy, or protect themselves from these pests. Killing them however by
any means other magic or psionics, releases a death scent chemical alarm. This odor can be
scented four miles away (6.4 km), although it is strongest within the first mile (1.6 km) and will
summon 10-40 additional mosquitoes.

Those with holistic medicine can prepare a number of herbal remedies that can be used to
disguise ones scent from these mosquitoes (the equivalent of modern day insect repellant).
Bathing in salt water provides 2D6x10 minutes of protection (both ones body odor overrides
the smell). Wearing body armor does not protect one from being bitten neither does the spell
Armor of Ithan. They are not repelled by fire but are kept at bay by clouds of smoke. They
cannot survive in the cold. Magical barriers are excellent means of protecting one from these
supernatural annoyances however, some might not be possible to utilize while traveling (circle
magic for example). Anyone who receives a blessing of a person by a priest has an extra +1 to
save against having ones P.P.E. drain. These mosquitoes cannot survive outside the
boundaries of a ley line region or the radius of a transitional place of power, they die within 4
melees. Of course, necromancers and summoners who have just as much to fear from these
pests have in turn found them useful in very cunning and clever means.

Hit Points/S.D.C.: 1
Average P.P.E.: 1-10.
Appearance: A bright green mosquito with yellow eyes. Males and female are indistinguishable.
Natural Abilities: Fly and hover, can fly continuously for 2D4 hours (traveling over 50
miles/80 km in a single day), have no need to eat or drink, polarized vision, 180 degree area of
sight, sense psychic and magical energy (same as a 6th level psi-sensitive), sense
supernatural beings (same as a 6th level psi-sensitive), see aura (cost no I.S.P.), see the
invisible, Drain P.P.E (a bite causes no damage, but those who are practitioners of magic or
psychics, must save vs. magic (12) or the mosquito will drain 1D4 P.P.E. (4 I.S.P. for every 1
P.P.E.). The creature can drain up to 10 P.P.E. points before becoming satiated for 24 hours. If
a person receives more than 4 bites, the save vs. magic is done with a -1 penalty (this
penalty is accumulative). In addition, 4 bites cause mild itching for 4D6 hours (-1 to initiative).
More than 10 bites causes severe itching (reduce M.A. by half, -4 on initiative, and lose one
attack per melee), chemical death alarm if killed by non-magical or psychic means, chemical
attraction after successful draining 1 or more P.P.E. The target will be marked for 1D4 hours.
Both chemicals can only be smelled by other Mange Mosquitoes or beings/creatures with
advance/superior sense of smell (Canine Races or Orcs).
Attacks Per Melee: Two (it will not give up until dead or it has feed). The bite of a
single mosquito will only felt on a Perception Roll of 12 or better, 17 or higher during combat or
during a moment of intense action or concentration.
Speed: 44 flying (30.8 mph/49.5 km), with bursts up to a speed of 66 (46.2 mph/74.3
km) lasting 1D6 minutes.
Damage: They cannot inflict physical damage only drain P.P.E. (I.S.P.)
Bonuses: +3 on initiative, +6 to strike, +6 to auto dodge, impervious to horror factor,
phobia, fear magic, illusions, and magical concealment). Penalties: Attackers are -6 to hit with
projectile or missile/throw weapon, -3 to hit with a melee weapon or punch, -4 to hit with a
kick. There is an additional -3 to hit the mosquito if it is moving (flying) or is more than 30 feet
(9.1 m) away (both penalties are accumulative.
Vulnerability: -5 to save vs. magic and psionics.
Magic: None, other than drain P.P.E. (killing them does release P.P.E. at double
the amount whatever it possess-hint-hint).
Psionics: Natural Sensitivity to magic and psionics.
Value: None, no alchemist in his right mind wants them. However, there are some crafty
necromancers and summoners who will pay for large gatherings (100-200 gold per 10 individual,
maximum of 50).
Average Life Span: Unknown
Habitat: Exclusively in swamp and marshes in rich P.P.E. environments
Range: Yin Sloth Jungle, Land of the South Winds, Old Kingdom (low lands), Land of the
Damn (here their numbers encounters are doubled-2D4x10)
Language: None
Enemies: Frogs, toads, and anything else that eats insects. Nearly all mages and
psychics detest them. Faerie Folk kill them on sight.
Allies: None.
Size: .6 inches (16mm)
Weight: .04 grains (2.5 mg)
Aramanthus
Monk

Another excellent creation! What about some sort of mutated preying mantis?

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

Mutated praying mantis? One could always use the giant praying mantis from HU or Mutants in
Orbit. Let me think about it while I iron out my other beach critter.
Aramanthus
Monk

Well that is true. But I was hoping we could see some sort of variation on that. Praying Mantis do have some very exotic forms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis

They can even appear as flowers, dead leaves.

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

Had to combine my idea with the giant mantis request so enjoy.

HUMANTIS

No one is sure how many of these strange aliens there are in the world. Some claim there is
only a single individual, others believe there are a couple of dozen wandering the shores of the
Yin Sloth Jungle and Land of the South Wind. It is believed they have been around since the
Battle of the Gods but no one has ever lived long enough to attempt to communicate or study
them for any length of time. Humantis is a tall, dark lanky man with rather long, spindly limbs,
with extra long feet and hands. It has a large round head full of sharp teeth (which it never
reveals until the last minute). The Humantis is always dressed like a poor beggar. This is all
part of its clever disguise, to appear as a poor, helpless beggar. He will not speak, but will
attempt to communicate with sign language. Once the Humantis believes its victim is in a
secluded location, it will attempt to dispatch him or her with a quick strike, flinging its arms out
to snatch its victim in a vice like grip. It will then bring its victim close enough to its face to
give it a lethal bite to the neck. Should the victim prove to be more of a challenge then the
creature thought, it will transform into a giant praying mantis, but its head remains more or
less humanoid. In its giant mantis form, it uses its two large foreleg pincers that are serrated
and spiky to hit/swat or they can be used to grab and incapacitate its victims, crushing them
to death or to deliver its deadly bite. Humantises are carnivores and their prey is anything
humanoid. They are even brave enough to attack giant size humanoids (more or less in their
giant mantis form). They are only concern about killing humanoids. They are not interested in
anything else, thus they scatter the victim’s personal belongings. However, they are attracted
to shinny jewelry. This attraction often foils their ruse as they pretend to be a poor beggar,
enough though he’s wearing a gold necklace. Humantises cannot be reasoned or bartered with.
They are only interested in killing humanoids and using their bones to make simple tools. Their
lair is typically a solitary thatched hutch. Humantises are for the most part fearless, however
they are weary of attacking clergy and/or those adorn with holy symbols. This might have
something to do with a possible encounter with the deity that brought them to this world.

Alignment: Diabolic
Attributes: I.Q. 1D4+5, M.E. 2D6+6, M.A. 1D4+1, P.S.: 3D6+12, P.P. 2D6+18, P.E. 5D6,
Spd. 4D6+20 running, x2 for flight, P.B. 2D4+2 (in humanoid and giant mantis form).
Hit Points: 20 + P.E. attribute number.
S.D.C.: 3D4x10+20.
Natural Armor Rating: A.R.: 8 in humanoid form, 16 in giant mantis form.
Average P.P.E.: 4D6
R.C.C. Skills: Hand to Hand: Assassin, Sign Language 80%, Camouflage 50%, Detect
Concealment/Traps 75%, Disguise 50%, Tracking (humanoid) 60%, Wilderness Survival 70%,
Climbing 98%, Prowl 80%, Recognize Holy Symbols 80%, Fashion Tools 70%, Meditation 50%,
and Whittling & Sculpting 60%.
Horror Factor: 8 in humanoid form, 14 in giant mantis form.
Physical Appearance: A tall, lanky man with dark skin and rather long, spindly limbs, with
extra long feet and hands. It has a large round head full of sharp teeth. In humanoid form he is
always dressed like a poor beggar. As a giant praying mantis, it has a dull brown color with
white spots on its wings. It head doesn’t change shape or become more insect like.
Size: 6 to 7 feet (1.82-2.13 m) in humanoid form, 9-10 feet (2.74-3 m) in giant mantis form.
Weight: 160-180 lbs (72 to 81 kg) in humanoid form, 600-1000 lbs (270-450 kg) in giant mantis form.
Average Lifespan: Unknown.
Attacks per Melee: Roughly the equivalent of an 8th level Assassin, Five physical
attacks per melee. Can perform auto parry and auto dodge.
Natural Abilities: In humanoid form, can rotate head nearly 180 degrees, superhuman
agility, quick and alert, superior sight and taste, ultraviolet vision, polarized sight, track by
smell alone 75%, predatory assassin (see damage below), sharp teeth and powerful jaws, and
transform into a giant praying mantis.
Giant Mantis Form: Gain an extra attack per melee, paired weapons, +2 to
strike, parry, and dodge when in flight. +1 on initiative, +3 to strike, +4 to parry, and +2 to
dodge on the ground (these bonuses are in addition to those gained by physical attributes and
natural bonuses shown below). Can jump/hop 20 feet 96 m) vertically and horizontally, fly and
hover, fights with forearms while standing on four legs. See damage below.
Damage: In humanoid form, claws 1D6, bite 2D6+2, body flip/throw, combination
grab/bite (SPECIAL!) First the Humantis rolls for a successful strike (grabbed by the
head/shoulders). That’s followed by a second strike roll that represents a lethal bite to the
victim’s neck or head. This bite is the equivalent of a Death Blow and does double damage
directly to the victim’s hit points! No parry or dodge possible during the attack. Normal critical
strike rolls apply. This attack counts as two attacks.
Giant Mantis Form: Forearm Claws/Pincers 4D6 (can be done as a paired
weapon attack), Bite 5D6, Kick from one of the four legs 3D6, Abdomen/tail swat 5D6.
Combination grab/crush (SPECIAL!) First the Humantis rolls for a successful strike (grabbed and
held in pincer), 01-60% incapacitated making the victim physically helpless until released
(cannot move or attack), then the victim is crushed; 6D6 damage for the initial grab and
crush, 3D6 damage per each additional crush/squeeze melee attack. If the victims are small
enough, this can be done with each pincer or if it’s a large humanoid (giant size) it might
require both. To get out of the hold, both the victim and the Humantis roll twenty-sided dice
and add in their P.P. attribute scores. The Humantis also gets to add in his bonuses to hold
and from his P.P. attribute. Higher rolls wins! If the Humantis win, then the hold continues. If
the victim wins, the hold is released and combat can continue. This attack counts as a single
attack, however he must sacrifice an action to maintain the hold throughout the melee.
Bonuses: +3 on initiative, +2 to strike, +3 to parry, +4 to dodge, auto dodge (only
include bonuses from P.P. attribute), +4 to damage, +4 to disarm, +3 to roll with punch,
knockout/stun on an unmodified dice roll of 17-20, and +7 to Horror Factor.
Magic: None.
Psionics: None.
Value: The plates of a dead giant mantis could be fashion into a lightweight armor with
an A.R. of 14 and 140 S.D.C. In humanoid form is this is not possible.
Habitat: Along the shores of beaches (lake, river, or ocean)
Range: Yin Sloth Jungle and Land of the South Wind.
Languages: Sign Language.
Enemies: A killer of humanoids, including wolfen, ogres, and small troll. They are
intimidate by those who wear holy symbols, but if force into a conflict they will fight them.
Allies: None, if they can’t get and eat a humanoid they will eat any animal they come across.
Aramanthus
Monk

I like it! It is a very cool monster! Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Here's something I came up with a long time ago when one of my players thought that the mage he was playing was... ALL THAT! This one is pretty nasty, if played right.

Mage Drainers

These creatures, whose existence has yet to be officially discovered, are a type of PPE vampire who strictly target mages. They are beings of pure energy that inhabit and travel along ley lines, searching for their targets, who are also known to travel along the same routes. Mage Drainers are incredibly fast, able to traverse the entire length of a ley line so fast that it might as well be teleporting. However, if they are enticed away from the ley line not only does their speed reduce to that of a normal human, but they become visible to the naked eye as well. A Drainer would only be enticed away by a particularly healthy source of PPE. (For example, a dragon or some other form of supernatural creature of great magical power.)

The time between feedings for these creatures depends entirely upon how much they ate on their last meal. A Mage Drainer is capable of draining 1d6 PPE per round (NOT per melee) from a mage or other target. (Note: They can drain PPE from any living thing, but their PREFERRED targets are magic users.) On a ley line nexus, that amount is doubled so obviously these creatures on a nexus are extremely dangerous to mages.

Great hunters, Mage Drainers will often lie in wait for a target, especially if they know their ley line lies along a well traveled route, frequented by adventurous mages. A Mage Drainer also has a long memory, and they will remember a particular mage for years after draining PPE from him or her. Odd as it may sound, a Mage Drainer is more drawn to PPE from people of particular alignments, thinking that the Potential Psychic Energy of different types of people tastes differently, (much the way different blood types will taste differently to vampires.) Which alignments PPE they prefer depends upon the personal tastes of the Drainer, but they think that all the different alignments have different flavors, so they will normally remember a particularly “delicious” target.

Alignment: Always evil, usually miscreant or diabolic. Mage Drainers are rarely honorable.
Attributes: The number of six sided dice rolled is designated below, IQ- 2d6 (Animal like intelligence, highly predatory, incapable of much communication or speech), ME- 1d6, MA- 1d6, PS- 3d6 (Supernatural), PP- 3d6, PE- 5d6, PB- 1d6, SPD- (Special, see note below.)
Note on Speed: When moving along a ley line, a Mage Drainers speed is impossible to gauge, they can literally move from one end of a ley line to the other in the blink of an eye. When forced to travel across land, their speed is reduced to roughly that of a human!
Hit Points: 4d6 + PE X 10!
SDC: 5d6
Natural AR: Their natural form is intangible, like a ghost, so they can only be harmed by weapons capable of doing damage to such creatures. Also, they are fully susceptible to psionics, and in fact will tend to run from powerful psychics, as ISP is poisonous to them! (3d6 damage straight to HP anytime a psionic power is used against them!)
Horror Factor: Due to the unknown nature of this creature, when first encountered, it has a Horror Factor of 12. Once it is discovered to be a PPE vampire, a mage will generally have to save vs. a HF of 15!
PPE: None of their own, which is why they must hunt and feed on PPE regularly. If they drop to zero PPE, they MUST feed on a fresh target within twenty-four hours or they will fade from existence, simply blinking out as if they were never there.
Natural Abilities: Natural hunters, the Mage Drainers have the ability to track a powerful source of PPE from anywhere along a ley line. For instance, if they are on a ley line in the Northern Hinterlands, and a powerful mage enters the flow of magic along that line in… say… the southern reaches of the Empire, they will feel it and be there in the blink of an eye. They can also mask their presence from magic users, so that they are undetectable to mages. (Note: Psychics can sense their presence easily.) Mage Drainers can also track humanoids at 60% when not traveling on a ley line. Being intangible, they can pass through solid objects and can enter and leave the astral plane at will. They have no real powers of their own, but can be vicious if cornered or provoked.
Physical Appearance: Appearing as a being of pure energy, Mage Drainers, when visible to others, look like the outline of a demonic form, tall and broad with horns sprouting from their heads and deeply slanted eyes. A large mouth with jagged teeth, all appearing in the form of an energy like outline. Some of the few accounts of people who have encountered these creatures also claim they have long, whip like tails and claws on their over sized hands and feet.
Height: 7’ tall. Weight: No physical weight, as they are completely intangible.
Combat: Mage Drainers have 6 physical attacks per melee round, and may simultaneously use their PPE draining ability. (Meaning that while physically striking a target, they can drain PPE from another, or the same target.) Though they are intangible, their claws burn like electricity when used on tangible mortals, doing 3d6 damage per swipe straight to HP! It is believed that since these are creatures composed entirely of PPE, they are able to penetrate a bodies natural defenses and go straight for killing blows each time. Bonuses: +5 to strike, +4 to parry and dodge, +3 to roll with punch fall or impact, +1 to all saves (with the exception of psionics, against which they save at minus two!)
Magic: None
Psionics: None
Average Life Span: Considered immortal, but no one really knows for sure.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice monster! I know if thrown into the Rift's setting it'd be an endangered animal pretty quickly.

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

Only 1D6 per round and not per melee :( . I would rather go for the jugular and give the mage
something to be scarred about :demon: . Then again that's the kind of G.M. I tend to be. Still
a very cool monster Ranger.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Thank you gents, and as I've always said, if you want to use it but don't like something about it... change it! That's the beauty of this system! Enjoy!

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice little addition to make them even nastier.

HH....FIE
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Northern Ranger wrote:Here's something I came up with a long time ago when one of my players thought that the mage he was playing was... ALL THAT! This one is pretty nasty, if played right.

Mage Drainers

A Mage Drainer is capable of draining 1d6 PPE per round (NOT per melee) from a mage or other target

Round is a melee round.

-If you meant a shorter time then 15 sec, then define it.
-If you meant "per APM", then say so.

On a ley line nexus, that amount is doubled so obviously these creatures on a nexus are extremely dangerous to mages.

Did you mean "the amount they can take per attack is doubled on a nexus"?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

First off, I did mean per attack, and you seem to be the only one that didn't understand that. Secondly, please be careful how you word your posts, because you're coming across rather rude. I almost didn't even respond to this.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Northern Ranger wrote:First off, I did mean per attack, and you seem to be the only one that didn't understand that. Secondly, please be careful how you word your posts, because you're coming across rather rude. I almost didn't even respond to this.

I apologize if my headache is bleeding through into my typing. But I though I was just trying to be clear and specific in my questions. But since when it comes to Game mechanics, being specific is better, then not being specific; I thought I'd ask.

I'll just chalk it up to bad word choice.
and the Answer to the 2nd question?
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

This is a write up of a race I made years ago.

Arymalians

This humanoid race of psychic vampires seemingly looking to be a cross between an elf and a human if one ignores their tails, are found mainly in the rift valley, near the Land of the Damned. They seam to have been deposited there by the may portals between realities there. The older ones tend to stay near the rift valley, hoping to find the way back to their homes, while the young native born daughters tend rome where they may after growing to full adulthood.

While the Arymalians feed off the emotions of other sentient beings, any emotions will do. Each Arymalian will preference a type of emotion, and those more widely traveled, will have a type of race that they like best. While one would think that psychic vampires would have great mind powers, this race seams to have none other then their feeding ability.

The scholars that have studied this race find, that while they each have their preferred ways of living, they are all trained as mages, with a large spell inventories. This leads them to believe that the first individuals that came to this world, were mages investigating portals between realities, and became trapped on this side of them.

The greatest mystery that is how breed. They have been no sightings of male Arymalians, but with each year there are more young ones with in the few known Arymalian enclaves and in their camps. Most of the enclaves are located near of in large cities, and aside from the normal bad blood women of other races, because they tend to seek the company of men of the fair races, appear to have normal relationships with the people there. The nomadic Arymalian camps tend to be hostile to outsiders till they know the outsiders are not there to enslave them. Many a man having stayed in a camp, is loath to leave the companionship of the tents. Few men are tolerated in Arymalian camps for long, and are asked to leave.

The lone Arymalian that wander the rift waists tend to be the oldest, who are searching for the doorway back to their home-world, or outcasts, who are aggressive hunters who feed off of fear.

Other lone Arymalian are young adults with wander lust, just like what happens with the other races. These Arymalian are welcomed in most enclaves and camps for a time, but are encouraged to leave with their traveling companions when they leave.(These are the only available for players to use as PCs)

Alignment: any, outcasts tend to be anarchist or miscreant.

Attributes: IQ: 2D6+6( quick thinking), ME: 3D6+12, MA: 2D6+15, PS: 2D6+6, PP: 1d6+23, PE: 2D6+6, PB: 3D6+1 Spd: 2D6+5
HP: 15 (or Standard if PE is greater then 15)
SDC: 30 (starting SDC, from living in the wilds. even if choosing a non-man-at-arms OCC.)
MDC: only via MDC armor
Natural AR: 9
PPE: 2D6x10+32 +2D6 per level (do not add in the PE Attribute)
Chi: 15 (or Standard if PE is greater then 15)
Horror Factor: special (only those familiar with their reputation are affected from seeing them, Reputations factor: 9)

Disposition: Like humans all sorts. (see descriptive text)
Average Life Span: Unknown, the oldest claim to be centuries old. They grow to full adulthood in 17 years.

Natural abilities: Arymalian have a prehensile tail, giving them +1 tail attack, and are natural leapers: able to leap 10' up and across, or up to 20' down, and like a cat, always land on their feet / all fours. Jumping from higher then 10' they will tend to land ending in a crouch, using their arms as well as their legs to absorb the impact. reborn / semi-indestructible: unless the head is chopped off and burned, the Arymalian will completely regenerate with in 24 hours. Even if blown to bits. Vulnerability: Weapons of pure iron (85%+) by-pass the Arymalian's natural AR, and do and extra 1D6 damage.

Magic: Each Arymalian is trained as a mage on top of whatever OCC they take, and have 6+1d4 spells per level from level 1 to level 9. Each can learn new spells if taught, but do not gain spell per level unless they have a magic OCC. The racial starting spells and PPE, replace the starting magic and PPE if a magic OOC is selected.
Psionic Abilities: None; except for their feeding ability
combat: +4 APM, +2 init., automatic dodge, +2 disarm & entangle, +2 pull punch, +2 roll, along with attribute bonuses.
Bonuses: immune to stress & confusion & Intimidation, +4 vs Insanity, +4 vs HF, +2 vs possession
Racial Skills: land navigation--60+4d6%* ; wilderness survival--60+3d6%* (if a PC, +30% to Land navigation. and Wilderness survival)

Habitat: any where there are sentient to feed off of. Mostly near the Rift valley near the Land of the Damned. Thou recently young Arymalian have been found wandering south for a few years.

Allies: none but what they make individuals, or family units
Rivals and enemies: the undead and other who prey on their food source.
Slave market value: Unknown, none stay captive long enough to be sold.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aramanthus
Monk

Cool! Thanks for the new monster Drewkitty! Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

It's all good Drewkitty. We all have off days. I probably jumped the gun a bit on the accusation too. The answer to the second question is a yes, the amount of PPE they absorb is doubled on a ley line. Does that clarify?

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Reagren Wright

New Month, New Monster. Any suggestions?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Wow, this thread has really taken off. Nice to see this growing even though my own contributions have been lax.
Don't think I posted these before:

Dragon Frog, a.k.a. Fire Toad
Size: 4-10 inches
Weight: 1-3 lbs
Hit Points: 1d4
SDC: 1d4
PPE: 2d6
AR: 6; resistant to fire and heat (half damage)
Damage: Bite does 1 point of damage. They are also able to belch flames up tp a distance of 30 feet, 2 feet wide, inflicting 2d6 to targets hit.
Attacks Per Melee: 2
Bonuses: +1 initiative, +4 dodge
Natural Abilities: Prowl at 60%, Swim at 70%
Speed: 8 on land, 10 in water
Average life span: 10-25 years
Value: 10 gold
Habitat: Hot climates, often in volcanic regions and deserts
Range: Rare
Behavior: This animal is not normally aggressive unless attacked or provoked.
Their coloration is mostly red and brown earth tones, allowing them to blend with their surroundings. Some have been seen with vestigal wings, though this is a rare occurance and usuallt seen amongst those adapting to a more lush environment and having green skins.

Winged Lizard
Actually an amphibian, the winged lizard was hunted to near extinction before some were captured and bred in captivity. No known winged lizards are thought to exist in the wild. They resemble miniature dragons.
Size: 7-11 inches
Wingspan: 12 inches
Weight: Up to one pound
Hit Points: 1d4
SDC: 1d4
AR: None applicable
Damage: Bite does a single point of damage.
Attacks per melee: None against humanoids; has 2 melee attacks per round.
Bonuses: +1 initiative, +3 Strike, +2 Dodge
Natural Abilities: Prowl at 50%, flying
Speed: 3 on land, 24 flying (though only fully grown adults can fly).
Average Life Span: 5-10 years
Value: Merchants will pay 500 to 1000 gold for a single specimen.
Habitat: Bred in captivity
Range: Rare
Behavior: Lethargic, basking during the day, with a nocturnal feeding cycle.
Colors are a wide range and include every color of the rainbow. Many bear crests resembling miniature horns.

Winged Serpent
Size: Up to 6 and 1/2 feet
Wingspan: 4-6 feet
Weight: Up to 4 pounds
Hit Points: 1d6
SDC: 2d4
PPE: 4d6
Horror Factor: 16
Damage: Bite does 1d4 points of physical damage, with the venom doing an additional 2d4 points of damage each melee round for 3d4 rounds unless a successful save is made vs. Lethal Poison (14 or higher).
Attacks Per Melee: 1
Bonuses: +2 initiative, +3 Strike, +3 Dodge
Natural Abilities: Poor daylight vision (100 feet/30.5 m), exceptional nightvision (1000 feet/305 m), Climb at 50%, Prowl at 80%, keen sense of smell, flying.
Speed: 50, but can reach speeds up to 88 or 110 (60 to 75 mph), when flying; 3 on land.
Average Life Span: 5-12 years
Value: 1000 gold for a live specimen
Habitat: Rare; dwell in dark caverns
Range: Unknown
Once believed to be a form of dragon, the winged serpent does bear traits similar to those of dragons, including hornlike crests. Colrs range from dark green to blood red to black, with lighter color scales on the batlike wings, though extremely rare specimens have feathered wings.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Thanks, Ducky.

Black Unicorn
Though beautiful (PB 24), these creatures are highly aggressive and evil, being of a sub-species of unicorns that were twisted by evil magic. They can automatically sense the presence of god and evil and are highly drawn to the evil side or life. They are naturally evil themselves and will readily kill anyone they do not know, including humans and their children.
Alignments: Evil or selfish
The eight attributes: I.Q. Extremely high animal intelligence, roughly a human IQ of 8, M.E. 2d6+2, M.A. 2d6+2, P.S. 20+2d6, P.P. 14+2d6, P.E. 16+2d6, P.B. 18+2d6, Spd 40+6d6
Hit Points: P.E.+50
S.D.C.: 3d6X10
Natural A.R.: 8
Horror/Awe Factor: 12
P.P.E.: 6d6X10
O.C.C.: None; animal
Natural Abilities: Nocturnal, Nightvision 1000 feet, poor daylight vision (60 feet), never tires, immune to fire, can leap 20 feet high and 40 feet long.
Damage: Front kick does 3d6 points of damage, rear kick does 4d6+8, and horn does 4d6 points of damage when ramming.
Bonuses: +4 on initiative, +4 Strike, +3 on saving throws, and +6 to save vs. Horror Factor.
Psionics: Sense evil, sense good, see the invisible, sixth sense, empathy, telepathy, mind block.
Value: Alive, they are nearly priceless. A wealthy lord might pay as much as three million gold. The horn will fetch at least 100,000 gold from an alchemist.
Average Life Span: 10,000 years
Habitat: Dark moors and remote wilderness
Languages: Magically or psionically understands all languages.
Enemies: Unicorns
Allies: None
Size: Up to 6 feet at the shoulders
Weight: 600 to 900 pounds for a fully grown adult.

Tricorn
Agressive deerlike creatures, tricorns are carnivorous and will eat small children and fae creatures without a thought. So named because of their three horns, two being antelope type horns going up the head in a "V" formation with the third forming out of a central bone ridge crest, they will attack other animals they see as invading their territory.
Alignment: Evil, generally Diabolic
The Eight Attributes: I.Q. 1d6 (animal intelligence), M.E. 1d6, M.A. 2d6, P.S. 3d6+10, P.P. 3d6+6, P.E. 3d6+10, P.B. 2d6, Spd 4d6X2
S.D.C.: 2d4X10, leader: 2d6X10
Natural A.R.: 6
Horror Factor: 10
P.P.E.: 1d4X10
Natural Abilities: Nightvision 30 feet, swim 40%, track/locate by smell 40% and excellent speed and strength
Attacks per melee: 3 per round; head butt (not a charging ram) does 3d6 points of damage, or kick/stomp from the front leg(s) does 3d6 points of damage, or rear kick 4d6. A bite does 2d4 points of damage. A running charge at half speed does 5d6+8 points of damage, at full speed it does 1d6X10+10 damage.
Bonuses: +4 damage, +3 strike, +4 parry and dodge, +2 save vs. poison and magic
Average Life Span: 50 years
Value: Horns generally sell to alchemists for 100 gold each, and a pelt will sell for 400 gold.
Habitat: High grasslands and plains.
Language: Own system of grunts, whines, stomping, body language
Enemies: Large cats, Wolfen and all humanoids
Allies: None; animal
Size: 6 feet tall at the shoulders
Weight: Up to 2500 pounds
Notes: Extremely hostile, aggressive and easily provoked to combat. Despite attempts, it cannot be domesticated. A typical herd can range anywhere between 30-210 members. Mating occurs in the fall, resulting in the birth of one calf eight months later. Weak specimens are eaten by larger members of the herd, and females often have to protect their young from the males, though a female will eat her young if necessary for survival.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Gryphicorn
Resembling a cross between a Gryphon and a Unicorn, the Gryphicorn came about as the creation of a wizard creating an animal defender. As pets, they are highly loyal and easily trained.
Alignments: Any Good
The eight attributes: I.Q. high animal intelligence, roughly a human IQ of 5, M.E. 2d6+2, M.A. 2d6+2, P.S. 20+2d6, P.P. 14+2d6, P.E. 14+2d6, P.B. 18+2d6, Spd 30+2d6 (X3 flight)
Hit Points: P.E.+50
S.D.C.: 2d6X10
Natural A.R.: 5
Horror/Awe Factor: 13
P.P.E.: 6d6X10
Natural Abilities: Never tires, can leap 20 feet high and 40 feet long, flying.
Damage: Front kick does 3d6 points of damage, rear kick does 4d6+8, and horn does 4d6 points of damage when ramming, beak attack does 1d6.
Bonuses: +4 on initiative, +4 Strike, +3 on saving throws, and +6 to save vs. Horror Factor.
Value: Alive, they are nearly priceless. A wealthy lord might pay as much as three million gold. The horn will fetch at least 100,000 gold from an alchemist.
Habitat: High altitude cliffs and mountains
Languages: Animal telepathy with those of its own kind
Enemies: None
Allies: Will defend humans and their kind
Size: Up to 6 feet at the shoulders, wingspan 12-18 feet
Weight: 600 to 900 pounds for a fully grown adult.
The Gryphicorn has a birdlike set of tail feathers, feathered wings and light feathers along its body, which is muscled more than a typical horse even though its body resembles one, and its hooves are more massive than a typical unicorn's. The body resembles a horse, all up until the head which resembles that of a hawk but has a horn rising up from its forehead.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Wow, someone feeling creative? This is good stuff though, keep it coming!

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Northern Ranger wrote:Wow, someone feeling creative? This is good stuff though, keep it coming!

Well, I did start this thread, so about time I started contributing. I also write powers for the Heroes Unlimited New Powers thread and spells for Magic and Psionics' Invented Spells thread. :)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Demon Rat
The demon rat is a rodentlike creature which has a serpentlike tail and a face armored with bony plating and heavy horns. It's glands secrete poison through the fur to discourage attackers. They are extremely annoying in that they can rip through wood with their teeth and take up residence in walls of homes and hollow trees.
Alignment: Considered Miscreant
Eight Attributes: I.Q. 1d4, M.E. 1d6, M.A. 1d6, P.S. 1d6, P.P. 2d6+4, P.E. 2d6+4, P.B. 1d4, Spd 2d6+10
Hit Points: 3d6
S.D.C.: 2d6
Natural A.R.: 12
Horror Factor: 12
P.P.E.: 1d6
Natural Abilities: Nightvision 1000 feet, climb 90%, track by smell 80%, prowl 60%, and can burrow and chew through wood at a rate of six square inches per minute.
Attacks per melee: 3
Damage: Bite doing 1d6 or claws doing 1d4, barbed serpent tail whip doing 2 points of damage, touching fur does 1d4 damage for 1d4 melee rounds unless a successful save vs. poison is made. Can also jump/jab with horns for 1d6 damage.
Bonuses: +1 to strike, +3 to dodge, +4 to roll with impact, +6 to save vs. poison, immune to its own poison.
Value: None
Life Span: 6 years
Habitat: Dark and hard to reach places in large old cities, catacombs and ruins, and to a lesser degree old rotting trees.
Languages: None other than whisker movements and squeaks and body language
Enemies: Snakes
Size: 1-2 feet long from snout to butt
Weight: 10-15 pounds
A swarm of them can have upwards of 300 members, though they are usually in smaller groups of 3-4 in well-kept and traveled areas.
Reagren Wright

Cool stuff :ok: , wish I had that kind of inspiration right about now. Still in a creative and
imaginative dead zone.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I am still working on more, so stay tuned. :-P
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Leopard People

Elflike humanoids with spotted fur all over their bodies, the leopared people are known by a variety of names, including the Jaguard, the Maguar, and the Cheetarrans. This is due to their variety of coloration in fur. In spite of resembling big cats in coloration, however, the leopard people actually have only a few catlike traits, which are limited to whiskers, catlike eyes, claws and fangs, and the fur, of course.
The leopard people are a valiant race of warriors living in remote jungle areas. Clashes with humans have made them wary of other races. They can be found in tropical areas and rain forests in tribes of 20-40, with the leopard people being mostly monogamous, with the exception of the tribal leader, who usually has a few wives. This is in part due to the fact that males are ousted from their original tribe upon adulthood to limit the possibility of inbreeding. Their fur patterns vary from tribe to tribe and family to family. To make best use of this natural camoflage, the leopard people hunt jungle cats with similar spots and dress in patterns which match their fur. In addition to skinning jungle cats, they also make use of the meat for food.
Children are raised to hunt from an early age, with female leopard people having litters of 2-4 kids at a time, and are seldom away from an adult until grown. They reach full maturity at age 12.
Alignment: Any, but tend towards good and selfish
Attributes: I.Q. 2d6, M.E. 3d6, M.A. 2d6, P.S. 3d6+1, P.P. 4d6+1, P.E. 3d6, P.B. 4d6, Spd 5d6
Hit Points: P.E.+1d6 per level of experience
S.D.C.: 20, plus those gained from O.C.C. and physical skills
P.P.E.: 3d6
Natural A.R.: 6, most wear animal hide armor
Natural Abilities: Climbing 50%, Track By Smell 60%, Wilderness Survival 80%, Prowl 40%
O.C.C.: Any
Attacks per melee: Five per round, or by hand to hand combat training, whichever is greater
Damage: Bite inflicts 1d6 damage, claw attacks do 2d6, can pounce attack for 2d6
Bonuses: +4 to Strike, +4 to parry and dodge
Magic: By O.C.C. only
Psionics: Standard
Average Life Span: 50 years, though some live past 80 years
Habitat: Tropical jungles and rainforests
Languages: Speaks leopard language of grunts and purrs, faerie and elven at 98%, plus can learn two additional languages at +10%
Enemies: None but defends forests against people who would destroy them.
Allies: Faerie folk
Size: 4-6 feet tall
Weight: 120-160 pounds
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Wyvern

This is a birdlike dragon similar to a Cockatrice or Kukulcan, though it has batlike wings and scales. Other than its tail, scales and wings, it resembles a strutting type of oversize chicken. In spite of its appearance, the wyvern is quite intelligent and tries to repress its carnivorous nature in favor of attempting to interact with other creatures.
Alignment: Any, but typically selfish or abherrant
Attributes: I.Q. 2d6+20, M.E. 2d6+14, M.A. 2d6+14, P.S. 2d6+12 (Supernatural), P.P. 2d6+10, P.E. 2d6+10, P.B. 3d6+6, Spd 2d4X10 running, 3d6X10 flying
Hit Points: 5d6X10+100+P.E. attribute number, hatchling 2d6X10+40+P.E. attribute number
S.D.C.: 4d4X10+20, hatchling 2d4X10+10 plus 2d6 per level
Natural A.R.: Adult 14, hatchling 10
Size: 8-10 feet tall, up to 25 feet long; wingspan 16-20 feet
Weight: 1500 lbs
P.P.E.: Adult 5d6X10, hatching 2d6X10
Horror Factor: Adult 14, hatchling 12
R.C.C. Skills: Basic Math 98%, magically understands and speaks all languages at 98%, literate in Dragonese/Elven 98%, and one other language of choice +20%.
Other skills include demon & monster lore (+15%), faerie lore (+10%), magic lore (+10%), track animals (+20%), track humanoids (+10%), desert survival (+20%), wilderness survival (+10%), as well as 8 from the following categories: Communications, espionage, rogue, scholar/technical.
Natural Abilities: Nightvision 200 feet, See the Invisible, hawklike vision, bioregeneration 4d6 S.D.C./Hit Points per minute, prowl 50%, flight. The talons of the creature's feet are prehensile, work like hands, and can use simple weapons and tools. Resistant to fire and heat (half damage).
Fire Breath(Special): Range 100 feet, six feet wide, inflicts 4d6 damage and can be used three times per melee round.
Vulnerabilities: No dimensional dragon powers, low S.D.C. and Hit Points. Predatory carnivore, so in stressful situations must roll to save vs. insanity to prevent giving in to baser instincts and going on a feeding frenzy, attacking indiscriminately.
Bonuses: +4 initiative, +3 strike, +3 parry and dodge, +2 pull punch, +2 roll with impact, +6 save vs. Horror Factor
Attacks per melee round: Adult five physical or two physical and three fire breath attacks; hatchling three physical attacks or two physical attacks and one fire breath attack
Damage: Varies with Supernatural P.S.. The tail does the same as a punch plus 1d6 when used as a whip. Or by fire breath or weapon.
Habitat: Caves and volcanic regions, deserts and low cliffs
Life Span: 2000-3000 years; hatchlings reach maturity at 200-250 years
Enemies: Trolls, goblins and hobgoblins
Allies: Dragons and elves
Aramanthus
Monk

That is an awesome set of new monsters. And an RCC too. Very cool. Pleaase keep them coming!

HH....FIE
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Aramanthus wrote:That is an awesome set of new monsters. And an RCC too. Very cool. Pleaase keep them coming!

Oh, I plan to. I am just having to pace myself in getting them done.

Coming Soon: Enchanted Elves, Plant Elves, Poison-Arrow Elves, Air Sharks and more.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Plant Elves

Plant elves are a strange race of beings akin to elves and faerie folk, which have bodies made up of plantlike cells. Whether this resulted from an enchantment or strange evolution cannot be said, for their origins are lost in the mists of time. Perhaps they evolved from ents. Whatever the case, they are fairly tall people with pointed ears, tan barklike skin and green leaves in place of hair.
Reproduction is accomplished like plants, with pollen from the males being carried by insects or the wind to the females, who then produce acorns which drop to the ground and sprout up with infants inside plant pods.
Alignment; Any, but usually good
The Eight Attributes: I.Q. 2d6+2, M.E. 2d6, M.A. 2d6+2, P.S. 4d6+2, P.P. 3d6, P.E. 3d6, P.B. 4d6+2, Spd 3d6
Size: 6-7 feet tall
Weight: 300-400 lbs
Natural A.R.: 14
Hit Points: 2d6X10+10+P.E.
S.D.C.: 1d4X10+10
Horror Factor/Awe: 10
Natural Abilities: Can root to the ground and become unmovable; does not eat, surviving by absorbing soil nutrients and water, and sunlight (photosynthesis); sense location of water 90%, swim 50%, camouflage 60%, wilderness survival 80%
Attacks: Five
Bonuses: +3 initiative, +2 strike, +2 parry and dodge, +4 roll with impact, +4 save vs. Horror Factor, +2 to all other saving throws
Damage: Punch does 2d6, kick 3d6 damage
R.C.C. Skills: Botany 70%, identify plants and fruits 80%, speaks Faerie and Elven languages at 98%, plus two additional (+10%), Concealment 48%, climb 60%, plus gets 12 skills from the following categories (+10%): Wilderness, Technical/Scholar, Rogue, Espionage, WP
Note: Plant elves seldom wear armor but so prefer to wear clothing even though they have no need to.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Poison-Arrow Elves

These primative amphibious elves have hide patterns resembling those found on frogs, which range from light yellows to dark browns and bright greens. Their skins secrete poisons when wet as well. They are smaller than other elven races and shy away from humans, who often mistake these secretive creatures for goblins. In spite of being obviously humanoid, these elves have only animal intelligence.
Alignment: Any, typically selfish
The Eight Attributes: I.Q.: 1d6+3, M.E. 2d6, M.A. 1d6, P.S. 3d6, P.P. 3d6, P.E. 3d6, P.B. 4d6+2, Spd 3d6 (X3 in water)
Hit Points: P.E. +1d6 per level
S.D.C.: 1d4X10+10
Natural A.R.: 5
P.P.E.: 1d4X10
Natural Abilities: Swim 90%, Climb 80%, Prowl 60%
Attack per melee: 4
Bonuses: +1 strike, +2 parry, +3 dodge, +3 roll with impact, +2 save vs. Horror Factor, +6 save vs. poison, +2 on all other saving throws
Damage: Punch 1d4, kick 2d6; add an additional 1d4 damage for 1d4 melee rounds to any physical strike unless a successful saving throw vs. lethal poison is made
Value: None
Average Lifespan: 400 years, though some have lived up too 600
Habitat: Jungles and tropical rainforests
Languages: None except grunts, bellows, growls and body language
Alies: Faerie folk and elves
Size: 4-5 feet tall
Weight: 80-120 lbs
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Air Shark

Like its aquatic counterparts, the air shark is a natural predator, killing for pleasure as well as food. It has the basic body shape and look as a sea shark, except it has a lizardlike tail, batlike wings to fly, and legs and talons with which to land.
Size: 18-28 feet, wingspan 30-40 feet
Weight: 1-2 tons
Attributes of Note: P.S. 2d6+30, P.P. 1d6+16, P.E. 2d6+20
Horror Factor: 14
Hit Points and S.D.C. combined: 1d4X100+40
Attacks: 3
Damage: Nip does 2d6, full strength bite does 6d6; head butt 1d6, body ram 2d6, talons 2d6, tail whip 1d6
Bonuses: +3 initiative, +2 strike, +4 dodge, +6 save vs. poison and disease, +10 vs. Horror Factor
Natural Abilities: Flying; can locate objects by feeling air pressure and using keen hearing (90%) up to 3000 feet away, and will sense all movement around it in a 60 foot radius even if it cannot see it, though vision is terrible and cannot see more than 20 feet away.
Speed: 3d6 (X5 for flight)
Life Span: 100-300 years
Value: Skin: 30 gold, meat: 40 gold, teeth: 1 gold for 20
Habitat: Rare; around caves and cliffs in mountainous areas
Range: warm temperate and tropical areas
Behavior: The air shark ranges in color from dark grays to icy pale blue. It will feed on practically anything, being a large and aggressive predator, and has acquired the reputation of man-eater.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Enchanted Elves

This race of ancient elves is magical in nature, being faerie folk. They view the Elven civilization which rose after the Age of Chaos to be corrupted and impure. Even so, they try to befriend any elf who discovers them. Most are happy and pleasant in their dealing with other races. It is believed that the Elven race as it exists today came about by the ancients breeding with humans, possibly to ensure the survival in an age of declining magic. Very few enchanted elves exist due to the rarity of what they call "elven purity". Since Age of a Thousand Magicks, fewer than a hundred Enchanted Elves have existed at any one time.
Unlike elves which came later, Enchanted Elves have wings and what appear to be antennas. Coloration varies, but all are brightly colored, resembling insects, some resembling grasshoppers or bees. They also have large almond-shaped eyes resembling gems.
Shy and withdrawn, they have existed in secret and only go about away from familiar lands when no one will see them.
Alignment: Any, but lean towards good and selfish
The Eight Attributes: I.Q. 3d6+1, M.E. 4d6, M.A. 2d6, P.S. 3d6, P.P. 4d6, P.E. 3d6, P.B. 5d6, Spd 3d6 (X3 flying)
Size: 4-5 feet tall, wingspan 8-10 feet
Hit Points: P.E.X3
S.D.C.: 4d10+10
P.P.E.: 1d6X100
Natural Abilities: Fly and hover, Nightvision 120 feet, See the Invisible, keen normal vision, sense location of ley lines 80%, sense location of water 50%
O.C.C. Available: Any
Magic Spells: Charm, love charm, cloud of smoke, sleep, tongues, invisibility (simple) and the Faerie's Dance, plus any learned through O.C.C.s.
Attacks per melee round: 5
Bonuses: +2 to parry and dodge in flight, +1 save vs. magic
R.C.C. Skills: Speaks Elven, Faerie and Gobbley 98%, and can learn two additional languages (+10%); Identify Plants and Fruits 75%, Land Navigation 82%, Wilderness Survival 90%, Preserve Food 90%, Track Animals 32%, Faerie Lore 90%, Elven Lore 75%, Sing 60%, Dance 70%, Prowl 40%, Climb 60%/50%, and three WP of choice.
Average Life Span: 700 years
Enemies: Same as for Elves, with the addition of Humans
Allies: Faerie Folk
Habitat: Remote forest areas, as far from humans as possible
Range: Unknown

Notes:
1. Worship nature deities
2. Wear all kinds of armor
3. Highly educated and skilled/trained, focusing on Lore
4. Creatures of magic
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I have some more coming: Kirin, an alternative to Ki-Lin from the Monsters & Animals book, and Spider Horse will be posted tomorrow; more if I can get them written up.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Kirin
I did this version of the Chinese Unicorn because I really didn't like the writeup of the Ki-Lin in the Monsters & Animals book. This brings it more in line with the western unicorn.

The Kirin is a very virtuous animal which has a singular horn (like a deer antler) and scales. These are creatures of magic like the Unicorn, and are psychic sensitives of good alignment. They can automatically sense the presence of evil creatures. They typically protect good beings and innocent children of any race, and only allow creatures of an innocent nature and of very good alignment close to them.
Alignments: Good and selfish
The Eight Attributes: I.Q. Extremely high animal intelligence, roughly equal to a human I.Q. of 8, M.E. 2d6+2, M.A. 2d6+2, P.S. 18+2d6, P.P. 18+2d6, P.E. 14+2d6, Spd 40+6d6
Hit Points: PE+50
S.D.C.: 3d6X10
Natural A.R.: 10
Horror/Awe Factor: 12
P.P.E.: 4d6X10
O.C.C.: None, animal
Natural Abilities: Nightvision 90 feet, never tires, heat and cold resistance (half damage), can leap 20 feet high and 40 feet long
Attacks per melee: 3
Damage: Front kick does 2d6 damage, rear kick 3d6+4, head butt 1d6+2
Bonus: +4 initiative, +1 strike, +1 parry and dodge, +3 on all saving throws, +5 vs. Horror Factor
Psionics: Sense Evil, See the Invisible, Sixth Sense, Empathy, Telepathy and Mind Block
Value: Alive, they are nearly priceless. A wealthy lord might pay as much as two million gold.
Habitat: Only the deepest forests and remote wildernesses
Languages: Magically or psionically understands all languages
Allies: Faerie Folk
Size: 4 feet at the shoulders
Weight: 400-700 pounds
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Spider Horse

The Spider Horse, also known as a Strider, is a horse-like creature with eight spider legs ending in hooves. According to legend, the first spider horse was created by an Elven wizard who was fleeing the Baalgor Wastelands. In spite of a fairly docile nature, few have ever been caught simply due to their incredible speed.
Alignment: Any, but typically considered anarchist
The Eight Attributes: I.Q. 2d4 (high animal intelligence), M.E. 2d6+6, M.A. 2d6, P.S. 2d6+10, P.P. 2d6+10, P.E. 2d6+10, P.B. 2d6+10, Spd 8d6X2+20
Hit Points: P.E.X3+20
S.D.C.: 3d4X10
Natural A.R.: 10
Horror Factor: 12
P.P.E.: 4d6
Natural Abilities: Climb 90% and can run up vertical surfaces at 3/4 maximum Spd, Nightvision 1000 feet, and can leap 20 feet up and 24 feet long
Attacks Per Melee: Four per round
Damage: Bite inflicts 2d4, can kick with one hoof for 1d4 or with up to three for 2d4 damage, running and trampling a target underfoot does 6d6. Add P.S. bonus to all physical strikes
Bonuses: +2 initiative, +4 damage, +4 to strike, +4 to dodge, +5 to dodge when running at full speed, +2 save vs. Horror Factor, +4 save vs. magic
Psionics: Sense Evil, See the Invisible
Life Span: 800 years
Value: Alive and untrained, 2000 to 16,000 gold (possibly more); trained 60,000 to 80,000 gold
Habitat: Dark areas and caves near grasslands
Language: None, but can learn to understand commands in any language
Size: 7-8 feet tall, about the size of a typical horse.
Weight: 1000-1500 pounds
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aramanthus
Monk

WOW!!! That is a lot of work! Awesome material. Please keep it coming. We can always use more.

HH....FIE
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I am working on more Elf variants, simply because I like the idea of offshoot races having splintered off after the Age of a Thousand Magicks. I am trying to work on more dragon-like creatures as well, such as Riding Dragons which are on the less than magical side.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”