Monstrous Creations

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Re: Monstrous Creations

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Okay we got another holiday coming up and I got this idea for another nimal. I'll try to get in
done in time for a holiday game.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

This one aught to be fun for any holiday adventure. No its not a snowman monster (we already
have them their called ice elementals (that bring back a funny rpg moment :lol: ), anyway
enjoy this critter.

DERANGE DEER or BLOOD NOSE

This is a strange animal indeed. For the longest time, the Wolfen refused to believe in its
existence despite the tales Kankoran told. It wasn't until 100 years ago that its existence
became fact. The Derange Deer (called a Blood Nose by the Kankoran) is a extremely large
reindeer (caribou) with a nose that constantly drips with blood to the point it appears shinny.
This unusual blood lost does not bother the deer, but it is pestered more often by blood-
sucking insects, such as black flies and mosquitoes are a plague to the animal during the
summer and can cause enough stress to inhibit feeding and calving behaviors. These animals
are extremely anti-social and do not live in herds at all. They are loners, choosing only to
associate with one another for mating purposes. They don’t like anything or anyone bothering
them. This tension remains in place all the time. Its anger can be manifested in the form of a
fireball that will be launched at is aggressors or predators. These animals have little to fear
form bears and wolves, but that doesn’t stop the predators from attempting to prey upon
them, especially newborn calves and birthing cows. However, should a humanoid, supernatural
being, or creature of magic take a threatening stance or aggressive move towards them, then
this deer does something remarkable. It will metamorphosis into a humanoid demonic looking
deer. At this point it flies into a berserker rage and will not stop until it has torn apart it foe
and/or aggressor. It will hunt the person down, following him or her until the ends of the
earth, refusing to eat or drink or do anything else until it is dear or it foe is. Afterward it will
return to its four-legged state, and behave as if nothing out of the ordinary ever occurred.

The Canine Races have learned to be weary of these animals. Humans, elves, dwarves and
other visitors to the north are still learning about them, thus are the primary casualties of
these animals and their sociopath behavior. Many a hunter has entered the Great Northern
Wilderness, sited these deer, shot it with an arrow, only to have it survive a grievous wound
then transform into a demonic creature and chase the poor hunter back to his home or
campsite where he is torn to shreds, along with anyone who gets in the deer’s way. Though
their meat is quite delicious and their coats and bones can be used for clothing, shelter, and
tools. These animals are extremely dangerous and not to be taken lightly. Their berserker rage
and regeneration capabilities make them nearly impossible to kill. They seem to be almost like
a machine than a creature of flesh and blood. No one is sure of their origins or if they are the
creation of a god (some accuse Locknar), but one things is for certain, one must beware of
the deer with the bloody nose.

Alignment: Anarchist on four legs, diabolic on two legs.
The Eight Attributes: I.Q.: 1D6, M.E.: 1D6+5, M.A.: 1D4+2, P.S.: 2D6+16, P.P.:
1D6+12, P.E.: 2D6+18, P.B.: 2D6+6/1D6 in humanoid form, Spd: 44 (30 mph/48 km) on four
legs, 28 (19 mph/30 km).
Hit Points: 1D4x10+20.
S.D.C.: 1D6x10+40
Natural Armor Rating: A.R.: 11
Average P.P.E.: 2D4x10.
Horror Factor: 6 on four legs, 11 when identified on four legs, 14 on two legs.
Physical Appearance: They look like large adult reindeers with a pair of large antlers
with red noses that drip and are covered in blood. In two-legged form, a humanoid monster
with glowing white eyes that face forward, an oversized mouth with long, pointed teeth, claw
like daggers, oversized hands and hulking body rippling with muscles. It feet are massive
hooves. Its nose continues to be shinny and coated with blood.
Size: 4-5 foot (1.21 and 1.52 m) at the shoulder, 6-7 feet (1.82-2.13 m) from head
and body length. The tail can add 5 ½ to 8 inches (13.9-20.3 cm). On two legs, it’s a
towering 7-8 feet (2.13-2.43 m) tall. The antleers can range up to 3 ¼ (99 cm) width and 4
½ feet (139.7 cm) in beam length.
Weight: 600-700 lbs (270-315 kg) on four legs, 900-1000 lbs 405-450 kg) on two legs.
Average Lifespan: Unknown but some believe they are immortal until slain.
Vulnerability: As long as the creature is not provoked or attacked on four legs, they
just appear threatening. If the creature is approached in four-legged form, and no aggressive
or threatening stance is taking against it, the animal will not turn berserk, but it is likely to
launch a fireball then runaway. If provoked, they will transformation. While four legged, the
creature eats, drinks, breaths, and expels waste like normal.
Natural Abilities: Keen vision, track by smell 87% (can detect the scent of its attacker
1000 yards away and smell his or her blood (especially if it causes a wound 2 miles/3.2 km
away), Swim 60%, Prowl 50%, Leap 8 feet (2.4 m) high and 16 feet (4.9 m) long (this does
not change when they switch to two legs, but can be doubled if it uses up two actions while
running), Nightvision 100 feet (30.4), See the Invisible, Impervious to normal fire, heat, and
cold (magic fire and cold does full damage), Bio-regeneration at a rate of 3D6 S.D.C./hit points
every minute (4 melee rounds), and Total Recall (same as psionic power, but cost no I.S.P.).
Berserker Rage: If the animal is attacked or threatened, it transforms (1 action)
from a four legged animal into a two legged demonic looking humanoid deer man. At this point, it
attacks with a berserker fury until its aggressor is dead. It will give chase for hundreds of miles.
The creature will not stop until whatever made it go crazy is dead. If it’s a group of people, then
the creature will hunt them all down. If by chance everyone manages to get away, then there is
a 01-13% the creature will remain in this state until slain. While in this state, the creature has
the following:
Impervious to horror factor, and fear, including psionics and magic types
+2 attacks per melee round
+40 additional S.D.C.
+3 to initiative, +2 to strike, +3 to roll with punch, fall, and impact, and +2 on all
saving throws
+2D6 to all hand to hand damage and its fireball attack
Can fight up to P.E. Attribute number x3 below zero hit points before collapsing into
a death trance. At this point the creature can be decapitated, incinerated (by magic fire),
drowned, or atomized to permanently kill it.
-3 to dodge, the creature is 90% likely to engage in a simultaneous attack then parry.
During the berserker state, it does not need to eat or drink to survive (no expel
waste products) and can survive on half the air or quality of a normal animal its size. It is still
vulnerable to airborne gases and poisons. Only humanoids, supernatural being, and creatures
of magic, can trigger a metamorphosis and rage, not normal wild or domesticated animals or
even its own kind.
Fireball: Once a melee round in four legged or two legged form, the creature
can create a ball of fire between its antlers that can be launched at foes. The fireball
explodes on impact. The fireball is magically directed and seldom misses. Range: 90 feet (27.4
m), Damage: 6D6, Saving Throw: Dodge, the victim must know the attack is coming and must
roll an 18 or higher (bonuses to dodge are applicable), P.P.E. 10.
Attacks per Melee: Three (Five when it goes berserk).
Damages: Four-legged, a kick does 2D4+2 points of damage. Its antlers do 3D6
damage. A full charge done within 60 feet (18.3 m) away takes an entire melee round, but
does 4D6+8. None of this attacks use P.S. damage points. On two legs, its Claws Strike does
3D6+ normal P.S. damage, a Kick does 4D6 + normal P.S damage, , Headbutt 2D6+ normal P.S.
damage, Antlers do 4D6 damage, a full charge is done as before but this time it will inflict
1D6x10+4 points of damage.
Bonuses: +2 on initiative +2 to strike, +2 to parry with antlers, and is +4 to dodge. On
two legs, don’t forget to add the bonuses of the berserker rage, and the following: +6 to save
vs. psionics, +5 to save vs. magic, and inflicts critical strikes on rolls of 18-20 with its antlers.
Magic: None, accept for its fireball attack.
Psionics: None, although it possesses a natural Total Recall ability.
Value: Fur/hide 400-600 gold; meat (whole animal 1800-3000 gold).
Habitat: Forests, swamps, open brush, land, and tundra.
Range: Great Northern Wilderness, Northern Hinterlands, and Northern Mountains.
Languages: None.
Enemies: Predators of the north (bears and wolves) will attempt to prey upon them.
Anyone who threatens or takes an aggressive tone will become an enemy and will be
destroyed.
Allies: None.
Last edited by Reagren Wright on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Rudolph the red-nosed demon." If my kids had read this post, they'd have had nightmares for a year! They're great though! Good job.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Reagren Wright

The well is a little dry to come up with something new and original so I'll post some evil NPC
monsters, bad guys, or bosses I've used in my past 20 years of PF gaming until inspiration
kick me in the rear.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Nice series of updates! I'm glad I finally made it back here! All very cool creations!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

Like I said the well is running a little dry so I'll post some "boss" type villains you can use. No background I'll leave that for G.M.S. I also don't use the low attribute score table. It really puts a serious hinderous on PFRPG characters. This guy has been around for a long time.

BAD BEAR

Alignment: Aberrant
R.C.C.: Bearman
O.C.C.: Knight
Experience Level: 7th
Hit Points: 67 S.D.C.: 150
Natural Armor Rating: A.R.:11/14 with Iron Hide Ring.
P.P.E.: 17
Appearance: A huge, hulking humanoid bear-like creature with dark brown fur. He wears
just enough leather material to conceal his gentile. He carries a huge scabbard over his left
shoulder.
Attributes: I.Q. 11, M.E. 7, M.A. 8, P.S. 46, P.P. 24, P.E. 38, Spd. 39, P.B. 7
Age: 31, Sex: Male, Height: 9 foot and 5 inches (2.75 m), Weight: 1319 lbs (593.55 kg).
Natural Abilities: Nightvision 10 feet (3 m), Poor day vision (120 feet/36.6 m), Superior
Sense of Smell and Hearing, Prowl 28%, Track by Smell 68%, Swimming 70%, Climbing
60%/50%, Outdoormanship, and Recognize Poison 90%.
Knight Family Background: A member of old family of noble lineage with military
background.
Family Skills: Military (Interrogation Techniques 65%, Track Humanoids 70%, and
Surveillance 70%.
Combat Training: Expert
Attacks per Melee: 7 (2 initial + 3 from Hand to Hand +1 from boxing +1 from R.C.C.)
Combat Bonuses: +7 to initiative, +7 to strike, +11 to parry, +11 to dodge, +31 to
damage, +4 to roll with punch/fall, +5 to pull punch, and +2 to disarm.
Saving Throws: Impervious to disease, +9 to save vs. Horror Factor, +38% to save vs.
coma/death, and +8 to save vs. magic & poison.
Combat Skills: Claws 2D6, Power Punch 4D6 (2), Bite 2D4, Head Butt 1D6, Kick 2D6,
Karate Kick 3D6, Backhand strike 2D4, Knockout on an unmodified dice roll of 20, and Critical
strike on an unmodified roll of 18-20.
Educational Background:
O.C.C. Knight Skills: Dance 75%, Heraldry 70%/75%, Forced March, Land Navigation
74%, Speak Wolfen 98%, Speak Elf/Dragonese 90%, Speak Northern 90%, Literacy: Wolfen
85%, Military Etiquette 85%, Mathematics: Basic 95%, W.P. Lance (+3 to strike and parry, an
unmodified 20 dice roll inflicts triple damage), W.P. Shield (+1 to strike & +3 to parry), W.P.
Sword (+3 to strike & parry), and W.P. Paired Weapons.
Elective Skills: Literacy: Elf/Dragonese 75%, Literacy: Northern 75%, Detect Ambush
75%, Wilderness Survival 70%, Field Armorer 75%, Boxing, Armor/Weapon Decoration 80%,
Leather Working 70%, Intelligence 56%, and Track & Trap Animals 30%/40%
Secondary Skills: Athlete, Cook 65%, Fashion Tools 60%, Lore: Culture & Customs
(Northern Wilderness) 65%, and Fishing 40%.
Money: 1400 Northern Gold.
Weapons:
Giant Size Fire Sword, (Firesword, Indestructible, and Turn Holder Fire Resistant).
Damage: 6D6.
4 Giant Fireball Daggers, (Return to Wielder and Turn Into Fireballs 3x a day when
thrown). Range: Same as normal. Damage: 2D6 as normal dagger and 3D6+2 as fireballs.
Armor: None, but he wears an Iron Hide Ring that gives him a Natural Armor Rating of
Equipment: Along with the standard equipment used by a knight & ranger he has these
two special items.
Glove of Lightning: On his right hand he wears a magical open finger glove that can
expel bolts of lightning 3x a day. Range: 100 feet (30 m), Damage: 3D6+6.
Bracelet of Strength: He wears a bracelet on his left wrist that increased the wears attribute by 10 points.
Reagren Wright

Good question. All I can see though is a bunch of bearmen and bearwomen executing exact
steps and holding hands in a circle, dancing to the song of the teddybears picnic.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Gods! I just had a vision of Bearmen of the North drinking gummy juice and bouncing around amongst the trees! Frightening!
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Northern Ranger wrote:Gods! I just had a vision of Bearmen of the North drinking gummy juice and bouncing around amongst the trees! Frightening!

Bouncing here and there are every where!
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Mark Hall wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:Gods! I just had a vision of Bearmen of the North drinking gummy juice and bouncing around amongst the trees! Frightening!

Argh! :x

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre

Northern Ranger wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Just for you

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Aramanthus
Monk

Very cool creation. I'm looking forward to seeing more creature. Mark that is just a scary video! You are truly evil for posting it! :eek: :shock: :? :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Mark Hall wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Just for you

You are an evil... wicked little man. No wonder I like you!

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre

Northern Ranger wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Just for you

You are an evil... wicked little man. No wonder I like you!

LITTLE? Who are you callin' little?

All Palladium Articles
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Six foot six, two hundred and sixty pounds. To me... most people are little. But intellectually... you're a giant among men.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Aramanthus
Monk

How about creating a creature/ monster based on an extra large horse? Just trying to suggest some new and interesting creatures.

HH....FIE
Library Ogre

Northern Ranger wrote:Six foot six, two hundred and sixty pounds. To me... most people are little. But intellectually... you're a giant among men.

You have one inch and negative a hundred pounds on me.

You may look at my eyebrows, not my eyes, but not by much, stickling. ;-)

All Palladium Articles
Reagren Wright

Believe it or not I do have a giant size horse. I thought about posting him way back when this
thread was just starting, but I didn't because I thought no one would be interested in one. But
if there is a demand then I'll post it.
Aramanthus
Monk

There is always a demand for various creatures. Please keep them coming!
Last edited by Aramanthus on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

THUNDER HOOVES

According to some, they were created by Nut (the mother of Osiris, Set, Isis, and Nephthys)
as a gift to her husband/brother Geb (father of the gods). When one of the Old Ones kidnapped
Nut to prevent Geb from participating in the Chaos War, the ancient god released the herd
and allowed them to roam freely. After the war, Nut never returned, and Geb lost interest
For thousands of years, large herds of these gigantic wild horses roamed freely within
the New Kingdom and what would later be called the Eastern Territory. They held such majestic
sway over the elf empire that all considered it unthinkable to attempt to rides such animals.
Only a select few elves possessed the skill to tame one, much less ride it. However,
when the Elf/Dwarf War started, every elf knight, paladin, and noble wanted one. The sight of
these huge horses urged the dwarf empire to exterminate their numbers by the hundreds. By
the end of the war, only a single herd of 20-30 animals survived in the High Grass region of the
Forest of Enchantment protect by the entirety of the faerie folks living in the region. For the
next 1000 years, the herd slowly migrated out of the region and back into the Old Kingdom
Lowlands away from the mountains. Unfortunately, they became a food source for tribes of
orcs and goblins, as well as ogres and trolls. The horses remained in small herds but because of
their isolation, the fledgling human kingdoms knew nothing of their existence. They were though
of only as a creature of legend, wipeout during the Great War.

During the last century, explorers from the Western Empire and Land of the South Winds soon
brought word of gigantic horses roaming the desolated wastelands. Some ever told stories of
ogres and giants riding such animals. Using literacy pictorial and archeological sources, scholars
were able to confirm these animals were indeed the legendary Thunder Hooves of long ago.
Nobility from all over the world have sent trappers and hunters into the region in order to
acquire just one animal. To the horror of many, the Nimiro Kingdom instead of using these
animals as mounts has deemed the animals a food source. A single horse can feed two or three
giants. Fortunately, no one in the Giant Kingdom has been able to successfully domestic these
animals to put them into pens to be raised for slaughter. The animals are to wild and unruly for
such actions, no to mention, one of these horses is strong enough to kill a giant. Meanwhile,
the Wolfen Empire has sent experts in horsemanship into the region to investigate the
possibility of using the animals as mounts, already reports in the Disputed Lands have sightings
of a wolfen knight, paladin, or noble riding these giant steeds.

Thunder Hooves live in small herds (9-24) like those of wild horses. They are usually made up of
small bands led by a dominant mare, containing additional mares, their foals, and immature
horses of both sexes. There is usually one herd stallion, though occasionally a few less-
dominant males may remain with the group. The makeup of the herd shifts over time as young
animals are driven out of the herd they were born into and join other herds, or as young
stallions challenge older males for dominance.

Armor Rating: N.A.R.: 8
Hit Points: 1D6x10+10
S.D.C.: 2D4x10+10
Average P.P.E.: 6D6.
Appearance: A giant draft horse, with powerful and muscular build, a dense rounded
body, a broad back, strong loins, powerful hind-quarters, and long legs with dense bones. Their
coat is almost always a dark gray (color of thunderclouds), but there is the occassional black
stallion or white mare. Their legs often have white stockings with long hairs.
Natural Abilities: Supernatural Strength and endurance, a single horse can pull a 5 ton
boulder for nearly one hundred miles (160 km), nearly fearless, leap 10 feet (3 m) high or 20
feet (6 m) across, swim 55%, Sensitive to the Supernatural and Potential Psychic Energy
(P.P.E.), Range of Sensitivity: 1200 feet (365 m).
Speed: 40 (28 mph/45.08 km) , but maximum speed is 60 (42 mph/67.62 m). The
horses pulling speed is half its normal speed. A Thunder Hoof can maintain its average running
speed for 22 hours with minimal strain/exhaustion (needs only two-three hours of rest). It can
maintain its maximum speed for 1 hour and 1D6x10 minutes. A domesticated horse is extremely
loyal and will run until they collapse from exhaustion. Note: If the horse is made to travel its
maximum distance without stopping, after the animal rests it will spending 2-3 hours grazing or
needing to be feed, before it can take off again. If the horse is not allowed to eat, it will
become unruly and lash out (its hungery).
Attacks Per Melee: Three
Damage: Front kick does 3D6+6 points of damage, rear does 5D6+6 points of damage,
stomp 2D4, trample 6D6, and bite 1D6+2 damage. Unlike other horse, Thunder Hooves do not
instinctively leap over and run around humanoids and most other animals, they will fight by
kicking and trampling. It does take much for a rider to coax a domesticated horse into
attacking an opponent.
Bonuses: +1 on initiative, +5 to strike, +1 to dodge, +9 to save vs. Horror Factor, and
+3 to save vs. poison and disease.
Magic: None
Psionics: Natural Sensitivity but no actual powers.
Value: Untrained 10,000-18,000; trained 60,000-110,000 gold. Note: These horses are
not easily domesticated. In fact, because of their size and unruliness, they are considered
exotic animals, and have to be tamed as such. Any attempts quickly figure out how to ride
these animals using traditional horsemanship is done with a -20% and -25% penalty to breed
(raise, break, train, etc).
Average Life Span: 25 years.
Habitat: Grasslands and plains
Range: Old Kingdom Lowlands (west of the mountains).
Language: None.
Enemies: Giants races and large predators. They are cautious around humanoids but
with time and patience, they can be taught to trust
Allies: Benevolent faerie folk and trust worthy humanoids.
Size: 32-34 Hands (10.5 to 11.3 feet/3.2 to 3.4 m) high at the withers (shoulder).
Weight: 6000-6600 lbs (2700-2970 kg).
Last edited by Reagren Wright on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice creation! I like it! Makes for a great mount! How are some variant dinosaurs. Say what about a series of raptors? From small to large.

HH....FIE
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Try this one on for size. Hope it all fits! Let me know what you all think.

Grim Elf

An ancient race, dating back several millennia, the grim elves have been slumbering for many thousands of years, waiting for the right time to resurface and make their mark on a new and changed world. It is uncertain why they went in hibernation all those years ago, but now that they have returned they are hungry to experience everything that this new world has to offer. They claim to have no recollection of the elves that dominate the world today, hinting that they predate the creation of the eldest of the mortal races.
Appearing cruel and stand-offish to the casual observer, the grim elf can’t really help how they treat others. They emit an aura that effects others in a negative way, turning them into self-doubting individuals full of morose feelings. This has lead to them not working well in groups and forcing the Grim Elf to be a loner, thus, on the rare occasions when they do find themselves in the company of others, they hunger for physical and emotional contact of any kind. To them it is perfectly natural to use their gods given abilities to make such trysts happen and they particularly delight in experiencing the pleasures of the flesh with elven and attractive human women (or men).
Apparently in the time from which they come magic and magic users did not exist, or were still so new a phenomenon the grim elves had had little or no contact with it. As a result, they are now untrusting of magic and its practitioners and will go out of their way to avoid them. Interestingly, they do not see the arts of diabolism or summoning in the same light. Perhaps this is due in part to the fact that a large part of the grim elf culture was revolved around the written word. When they awakened, they brought with them a vast library of records from their own time, records that modern day scholars are understandably hungry to look at. However, showing their truly selfish nature, grim elves have not as yet been willing to share their history. It remains to be seen if an agreement can be reached, but the leader of this ancient people, calling himself Monarch Kress Olighter, has been quoted as saying that his people will only share their writings of history if the various leaders of the new world agree to grant them a certain expanse of land over which to rule. Since the land in question is located in what is now the Western Empire, in particular the Middle Kingdoms, such an arrangement is not likely.
Monarch Olighter, an extremely powerful psionic warrior, has taken up residence in an abandoned temple located at the highest peak of a mountain in the Bruu Ga Belimar mountains. The few scholars and messengers that have gone to visit his stronghold have returned to civilization claiming to have seen vast wealth in his possession, not to mention a harem of some of the most beautiful human and elven women that the visitors had ever seen. But the very air around that stronghold seems to put a damper over all positive emotions. Monarch Olighter has a personal bodyguard and family that live in the stronghold with him, numbering near fifty grim elves. Including the monster race servants he has taken (goblins, orcs and ogres mostly) and his impressive harem, the population of this old temple to a god whose identity has long since been lost is close to a hundred. Other grim elves, while they admit to their allegiance to the Monarch, seem to be enjoying their somewhat nomadic status in the world, traveling around and learning how things have changed.
Alignments: Any, but most common are selfish or Aberrant.
Occupations: Prefer men-at-arms and can be psychic classes. Though they have a naturally high tendency for PPE, they shy away from magic users and are not likely to study a magic casting class. (Note that they will occasionally study Summoning and Diabolism, as they don’t seem to categorize these are true magic classes.)
The Eight Attributes: The number of six sided dice rolled are as follows-
IQ: 4D6, ME: 4D6, MA: 2D6, PS: 3D6, PP: 3D6+6, PE: 3D6, PB: 2D6, SPD: 3D6
Hit Points: PE plus 1D8 per level of experience.
SDC: 15 plus those gained from OCC and physical skills.
Natural AR: 16 due to their unnaturally hard, rock like skin.
Average PPE: 5D6
Horror Factor: None, but they radiate a special aura. (See Natural Abilities, below.)
Physical Appearance: Tall and toned with a musculature that seems almost chiseled from rock. The Grim Elf has a jade green colored face with a body that is the color of shale. Their pointed ears are slightly over exaggerated and hug the sides of their heads. They have long white or gray hair and constantly wear an expression of what can only be described as grim determination.
Height: 5’6” to 7’6” tall.
Weight: 180 to 275 lbs.
Average Life Span: 800 years, but some live well past a thousand. Any such Grim Elves are considered honored among their people and can be believed extremely dangerous!
Special/Natural Abilities: Nightvision 150’, Normal dayvision and have an infravision which reaches 50’ and can be activated at will and maintained as long as they desire. Grim elves are also possessed of a keen hearing, rivaling that of regular elves. By their nature, Grim Elves gain a +10% bonus to all espionage skills. Also, they have an extra attack per melee and a one time bonus of +3 to strike, parry and dodge.
Grim Aura (Special): Grim Elves emit an aura that cause all within its field of effect to become very sad, melancholy and unsure of themselves. All skills are performed at –20% and the victim has a 35% chance of believing what the elf tells them and even doing what they are commanded by the grim elf. If only in the presence of the Grim Elf for a short period of time, then alignment restrictions apply to these commands. However, if the character is under the influence of the elf’s aura for more than an hour, there is a 20% chance that they will follow even an order that is contrary to their alignment. This percentage increases by 5% every hour they stay in the elf’s presence. The saving throw for this ability is 16 or higher and ME bonuses apply. The victim must save every hour they are in the elf’s presence and the save is reduced by one each hour. The radius of effect for the aura is twenty feet, but it increases by five feet for every five levels of experience.
Magic: None naturally. The Grim Elf is instinctively distrustful of magic and they tend to shy away from it.
Psionics: All Grim Elves have the following psionics, which are performed at their own level of proficiency: Astral Projection, Commune with Spirit, Empathy, Mind Block, Presence Sense, See Aura, See the Invisible, Sense Evil, Sense Magic, Alter Aura, Death Trance, Detect Psionics, Hypnotic Suggestion (Often used with Grim Aura), Induce Nightmare, and one Super-Psi power of choice. Also the racial ability of ISP Drain (Special, see below.) ISP: ME +3D6, plus 12 per level. Considered a master Psionic.
ISP Drain:
Range: Target must be within line of sight.
Duration: Instant
ISP: 10
The grim elf can target another psychic with this power, draining a certain amount of their ISP and transferring it to their own ISP pool for use. It works a bit like a reverse Transfer ISP healing power. If the target doesn’t save, (Standard), then the elf can drain from 2D6 to 6D6 ISP from the target. It is the elf’s choice how much they draw, taking any amount as listed in increments of 1D6. The transfer is permanent, in that the elf keeps the ISP until it is used. The target psychic will regenerate lost ISP at half the normal rate.
Enemies: Grim elves have no enemies per se. They are not trusted by other races, mostly due to their grim aura ability. Also they have an unexplainable attraction to normal elven females and human women with a PB above 16. While they do not consider them enemies, grim elves have a difficult time tolerating the presence of Gnomes.
Allies: Oddly, grim elves have a soft spot in their hearts for dwarves. They see a lot of their own grim outlook in the stout little people. Also, they have allied to humans and elves, provided there are attractive women in the area for them to… interact with. Though they do not necessarily like orcs, they tend to see the chaotic race as a means to an end and will often use them as lackeys.
Habitat: Grim elves can and do live in any climates. They thrive in sub-tropical climates like those found in Ophids Grassland or the Land of the South Winds, but they will be found anywhere.
Preferred Weapons: While they will use any type of weapons, grim elves tend to prefer great swords and pole arms.
Other Notes:
1) Worship a variety of deities, usually of an evil or selfish variety.
2) Believe that might makes right, and if there is something they want, they are prone to take it.
3) Dislike magic and are untrusting of magic users.
4) Cunning leaders who rule through intimidation and fear. They are master at instilling this in foes.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice creation. Just one thing. Does this count as an RCC or it is a monster?

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

Very cool guys. Nice job Ranger :ok: .
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Thanks guys. I count them as an RCC, but they could easily be used as villains.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Reagren Wright

I already use the Tiger Claw Raptors from Rifts New West (page 162) and in Adventures in
Dinosaur Swamp (pasge 59-60) or the Titan Raptor (page 60-62). Lots of weird and cool
monsters to use in those two books, and in Adventures in Dino Swamp there are S.D.C. stats.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is true about those two. I guess you are right about not needing more of those.

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

Got two-four week off my day job, so I'll have time to post one or two critters and maybe
another NPC villains. Look for them.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there

I just saw this thread for the first time. AWESOME!

Thank y'all for the effort - good stuff!

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Reagren Wright

Thanks Hendrik I'm always trying to come up with stuff that other people (namely G.M.s) will
enjoy using in their games, nothing to challenging just thought provoking :D .
Aramanthus
Monk

Cool! Glad to hear new material is coming our way! Keep them coming!

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

I'm back with two creatures that draw heavily from PU 2. First one up is the Mage Fly and its
evil spawn the Terrorflies.

THE MAGE FLY AND THE TERRORFLIES

After the Battle of the Gods, the Southern/Jungle Gods claim the land of Kawan as their own.
Yin Sloth declares himself the dominant god of the pantheon. However, Myiagros, the God of
Flies and the Lord of Rot and Plague argues that he is unworthy of the title. He insists that
the land of Kawan should also be named after him, after all, his minions (flies, mosquitoes,
gnats, etc) control the fate of every living thing in the jungle, for if he wished it they could
spread disease and wipeout every animal and mortal alive. Yin Sloth doesn’t take kindly to his
boasting. He savagely attacks the god and tears him apart. Afterward he demands, “Does
anyone else think their stronger than me?” No on else or ever since has tried to challenge Yin
Sloth. Nonetheless, the death of the Myiagros, meant no single being held dominion over the
insects of the jungle. Yet this also meant his most prize servant, the Mage Fly was no longer
held in check, and ever since the vicious cycle of death and destruction has yet to be broken
or defeated.

The Mage Fly is a large botfly with a human female head and two tiny arms. This female
insects is only half an inch (13 mm) in length yet responsible the death of hundreds each
year. No one is sure if there are more than one of these flies, due to their small size, they are
extremely difficult to detect much less kill. She actively hunts for male mages, to land on their
body undetected, than deposits her egg sack directly on the skin. She then recites her
magical ritual (takes about 10 minute). In order to ensure complete success, she must not be
interrupted, hence the reasons she usually selects her victim at night while they are sleep.
Once the ritual is completed, she departs. The body heat from the person induces hatching
and the nearly invisible to the naked eye larvae then burrow into the skin (or tissue lining). As
they burrow into the flesh, the victim remains oblivious to what has happened and doesn’t
feel a thing. At dawn of the next day, the mage will suddenly discover his ability to channel
and direct P.P.E. is hampered, i.e. siphoned by the larvae. At this point, there is no way to
detect the presence of the larva unless one does a See Aura on the victim. At this point, the
larvae are nothing more but a mere nuisance. Around noon, this changes as the larvae started
drain even more P.P.E. and begin to grow larger. They can be seen clearly traveling
underneath the skin throughout the body. At this point they can be physically removed
(inflicts 1D4 points of damage per larvae), however within the egg sack are approximately 700
larvae. The victim begins to itch severely and uncontrollably all over his body. After sunset,
the P.P.E. drain and itching becomes even more cumbersome. The larvae are no longer moving
but are stationary in their pupa stage. The victim body appears to be covered in hideous boils
from which the larvae can be physically removed, but cutting them as mentioned earlier, will
likely kill the victim. Twenty-four hours after the mage fly has laid her egg sack and
completed her egg laying ritual spell, fully-grown Terrorflies emerge from out of the victim’s
body all in one huge surge, as if the victim’s body explodes and instead of smoke releases a
cloud of flies. This causes the victim to suffer 1D4x10+10 points of damage. This is the only
time the victim suffers physical damage. To matters worst, the poor victim will have to make
save vs. insanity (-2 to save) or must roll on the random insanity table and gain some sort of
insanity in relation to what occurred to them (must deal with flies, itching, their body is
infected with more flies, fear of disease, obsession with cleanliness, etc.).

The cloud of Terrorflies forms into a mass that becomes a short of humanoid being. All the
P.P.E. that has been siphoned off by the larva becomes the P.P.E. base for this animal gestalt
being. If the victim has died during the release of the flies, his remaining P.P.E. will be doubled
and absorbed by the mass of flies. At this point, the body of flies will remains active for 8
days than it starts to deteriorate. The gestalt body loses 1D6+20 S.D.C. per day and is no
longer able to regenerate as the flies start to die, slowing reducing the body in size and
shape. When the S.D.C. is reduced to 20 or less, this means only a handful of flies remain,
one of them being a new female Mage Fly. It takes 8 days for the female Mage Fly to grow
into full maturity. During the first 8 days of the Terrorflies Gestalt existence, the creature
seeks to slay any living creature with more then 20 P.P.E. in its body to feed on. The gestalt
creature is a P.P.E. vampire. Should the creature be slain before 8 days, the Mage Fly will die.
Should it happen before the natural deterioration of the gestalt; she will not only thrive but
will leave the area to start the cycle anew.

Individual Terrorflies do not posse a threat to anyone, however as a gestalt they are
supernatural menace to all living things, especially to supernatural beings, creatures of magic,
mages, and any humanoid being with above average off P.P.E. (elves for example, especially
elf children under the age of 20). The Mage Fly by herself is more or less a creature of
annoyance.

Killing the gestalt is no easy feat. Its body automatically releases any offensive spells cast by
the infected male mage during the 24 period larvae period that successful harms the body. If
the male didn’t cast any offensive spells during that period or after each spell has been
released and its still possess abundant P.P.E. then successful strikes against its body
automatically releases a 5th level sickness spell against the attacker (save vs. magic of 14)
that only cost 12 P.P.E. of its base.

The infected male with larvae can escape his fate by receiving a successful exorcism by a
priest (not via spell or psionic), a greater supernatural being/creature of magic, or by a circle
of wonder. This will instantly kill off all the larvae, but the person must make a save vs.
poison or takes 2D6 points of damage. Those infected cannot enter anything that prevents
lesser supernatural creatures from approaching (cannot enter a room with a Sanctum spell). A
restoration spell will also kill all the larvae as will turn the infected man to stone (petrifaction)
then restoring him with stone to flesh. The best and easiest method is simply to kill the Mage
Fly before she lays her eggs, but due to diminutive small size and stealthy nature, one would
have to anticipate her attack in order to do so.

The Mage Fly

Alignment: Diabolic
The Eight Attributes: I.Q.: 3D6+2, M.E.: 3D6, M.A.: 1D4, P.S.: 1D4, P.P.: 18+2D6,
P.E.: 1D6, P.B.: 1D4, Spd: 6 running, 28 in flight.
Hit Points: 10
Natural Armor Rating: A.R.: 6
Average P.P.E.: 3D6x10
O.C.C. Skills: Speak Faerie 98%, Lore: Magic 90%, Lore: Geomancy 90%, Lore: Faerie
Folk & Creatures of Magic 85%, Lore: Demon & Monster 70%, Prowl 77%, Track Humanoids
60%, Detect Ambush 50%, and Detect Concealment 50%.
Horror Factor: 9
Physical Appearance: She looks like botfly with a female human head, long brown hair,
and a pair of humanoid arms. Her thorax is brown and her entire body is cover with hair. She
has one pair of wings and like a true insect has six legs.
Size: Half an inch in length (13 mm).
Weight: Almost nothing.
Average Lifespan: Unknown but some believe they are immortal until slain.
Vulnerability: Arachnophobia, they are deeply afraid of spiders, getting caught in a
spiders web makes them go into a phobic panic, furthermore anything that resembles a web
(including a net or carpet of adhesion) has the same effect on them.
Natural Abilities: Fly 98%, sense of direction 98%, sense movement 90%, see in all
directions (impossible to sneak up from behind), evasive reaction (auto dodge), P.P.E. Vampire
(see PFRPG page 181), sense magic (same as spell), impervious to possession and mind
control, and magical abilities.
Attacks per Melee: Four attacks per melee or two using magic.
Damage: Bite 1D4 points of damage, afterward roll to save vs. disease (14) or within 3
hours become sick with a terrible fever and nausea. Reduce all bonuses, attacks per melee,
skill proficiencies and speed by half for 1D4 days.
Bonuses: +2 on initiative, +2 to strike, +6 to auto dodge (does include bonuses from
P.P. attribute), +2 to roll with punch, +6 to save vs. horror factor, and +2 on all saving
throws.
Magic: Befuddle, Fear, Heavy Breathing, Paralysis: Lesser, Repel Animals, Sleep,
Dispel Magic Barriers, Sickness, Wisps of Confusion, and Egg Laying Ritual (see above). All
spells are cast equal to a 5th level wizard. The egg laying ritual requires a save vs. ritual
magic (16).
The Egg Laying Ritual: Every 15 days she can place an egg sack filled with
700 larvae onto the body of a male mage (usually on the scalp). The egg sack is .03 inches (1
mm) in length. Once the egg sacks is put on the skin (it bonds almost immediately), she must
perform the egg laying ritual spell within 2-3 minutes. It takes her a mere 10 minutes to
complete the ritual (which is why it’s easier to do on a sleeping foe). The victim must make a
saving throw vs. ritual magic (16) for the egg sack to be absorbed into the body. If not, the
egg sack will fall off and the larvae within are lost. If they are absorbed, they don’t hatch
until sunrise (or sunset depending upon when they where laid). At that moment, the mage will
find his P.P.E. has been reduced by 15% and it cost him 20% more P.P.E. to cast any spell.
By noon (or midnight), the victim begins to itch all over (reduce M.A. by half, -4 to initiative
and minus one attack per melee) as the larva begin to move underneath the skin and over the
muscles tissue. At this time, the mage loses 30% of his remaining P.P.E. and it cost him 50%
more P.P.E. to cast a spell. At sunset (sunrise), the itching increases and the victims body
becomes cover in boils, (reduce P.B. by half, -6 to initiative, -3 to strike, parry, and dodge,
and minus half attacks per melee round). The mage loses 50% of his remaining P.P.E. and it
cost him double the normal amount of P.P.E. to cast a spell. Twenty-four hours after the egg
laying ritual has been completed, the larvae burst from the skin all full grown terrorflies. This
results in the mage suffering 1D4x10+10 points of damage. All his remaining P.P.E. is absorbed
by the flies, and becomes the P.P.E. for the Terrorfly Gestalt. Should he die from the
experience, his remaining P.P.E. is doubled and is added to the Terrorfly Gestalt.
Psionics: None.
Value: None, no alchemist in his right mind wants this pest anywhere near him or her.
Habitat: Jungles and swamps.
Range: Yin Sloth Jungle.
Languages: Faerie Speak.
Enemies: Good Faerie Folk/Creatures of Magic, Frogs/Toads (including Toad Stools) and
Spiders. They hate/fear spiders more than anything else. They will not harm anyone if there is
a Priest of Tark in their company.
Allies: Evil Faerie Folk (accept Toad Stools) and the Undead.
Reagren Wright

Terrorflies

Armor Rating: N.A.R.: 6
Hit Points: 4
Average P.P.E.: 1D6.
Appearance: They look like botflies with a bald male heads and a pair of humanoid
arms. The male’s thorax is green and the entire body is cover with hair. He has one pair of
wings and like a true insect has six legs.
Natural Abilities: Fly 98%, sense of direction 98%, sense movement 90%, see in all
directions (impossible to sneak up from behind), evasive reaction (auto dodge), sense magic
(same as spell), impervious to Horror factor, possession and mind control, and form a gestalt
body with its brothers.
Speed: 4 walking, 28 (19.6 mph/31.5 km) flying.
Attacks Per Melee: 2
Damage: Bite 1 points of damage, afterward four successful bites, one must roll to
save vs. disease (14) or within 3 hours become sick with a terrible fever and nausea. Reduce
all bonuses, attacks per melee, skill proficiencies and speed by half for 1D4 days.
Bonuses: +1 on initiative, +1 to strike, +3 to auto dodge, and +2 to all saving throws.
Magic: None
Psionics: None
Value: None,
Average Life Span: 8-14 days.
Habitat: Jungles and swamps
Range: Yin Sloth Jungle
Enemies: They fear nothing and attack everything.
Allies: The trust nothing and attack everything,
Size: Up to ½ inch (13 mm)
Weight: Almost nothing.

The Terrorflies Gestalt

Alignment: Diabolic
Attributes: P.S.: 28 (supernatural), P.P. 26, P.E. n/a, Spd. 12 running, 28 (19.6
mph/31.5 km) flying.
Hit Points: 1D6x10 +M.E. attribute of the Mage Fly.
S.D.C.: 700. However, after 8 days the body loses 2D6+50 S.D.C. Each S.D.C. point
results in a single terrorfly.
Natural Armor Rating: A.R.: 14. All rolls below the A.R. pass through the insect body
without harming a single one. Those that successful strike not only causes damage, but
unleash spells (see below).
Average P.P.E.: Depends upon how much was gained via infected mage. Typically 140-
230, but can be a lot more depending upon the mage).
O.C.C. Skills: Speak Faerie 98%, Lore: Magic 90%, Lore: Geomancy 90%, Lore: Faerie
Folk & Creatures of Magic 85%, Lore: Demon & Monster 70%, Prowl 77%, Track Humanoids
60%, Detect Ambush 50%, and Detect Concealment 50%. Note: All O.C.C are reduced by
15% per 100 individuals lost.
Horror Factor: 13
Physical Appearance: A mass of living, squirming flies in a humanoid body.
Size: 5 feet (1.5 m) tall. It dimishes by 10% each day after 8.
Weight: Varies.
Average Lifespan: 8-14 days.
Vulnerability: The gestalt body loses 1D6+20 S.D.C. per day after existing for 8 days
and does not regenerate as the flies start to die. The gestalt body starts reducing in size and
shape. When the S.D.C. is reduced to 20 or less, the body disperses leaving only a handful of
terrorflies and the mage fly. If she is not 8 days or older she will automatically die. When the
body takes damage and unleashes a spell, the P.P.E. is also lost. If the P.P.E. is reduced
below 30, the gestalt body can no longer hold form and separates. If the Mage Fly is less
then 8 days old she will die while the terrorfly swarm depart the region as a mindless swarm
(still a menace) but no longer capable of forming the gestalt.
directions (impossible to sneak up from behind), evasive reaction (auto dodge), P.P.E. Vampire
(see PFRPG page 181), sense magic (same as spell), impervious to possession, Horror Factor,
disease, cold, heat, fire, and mind control. The gestalt Bio-Regenerates 2D6 S.D.C. every
other melee during the first 8 days of its existence.
Attacks per Melee: Four attacks per melee or two using magic.
Damage: Supernatural P.S. damage. With each successful strike, the victim must also
make a save vs. disease (14) or within 3 hours become sick with a terrible fever and nausea.
Reduce all bonuses, attacks per melee, skill proficiencies and speed by half for 1D4 days. The
moment an opponent is killed by the gestalt, its P.P.E. is doubled and absorbed by the
creature. This can also happen if the creatures releases a spell that kills a victim and he or
she is within 20 feet (3 m) of the creature.
Swarm Attack: The gestalt will sometimes grab victims and pull them into its
body. Only those in fully enclosed armor (environmental or power, not plate mail) can keep
the bugs from biting him or her. The victim takes 1D4x10 points of damage per melee round,
and must make a save vs. disease (14) with a -3 penalty or within 1 hour afterward become
sick with a terrible fever and nausea. Reduce all physical attributes, S.D.C., all bonuses,
attacks per melee, and skill proficiencies by half for 3D4 days. The victim will also have to roll
to save vs. insanity (-5 penalty) must roll on the random insanity table and gain some sort of
insanity in relation to what occurred to them (must deal with flies, itching, their body is
infected with more flies, fear of disease, obsession with cleanliness, etc.).
Natural Armor Rating: If anyone grabs, touches, or brushes up against the
gestalt, and fails to by-pass the A.R., half to a dozen insects swarm up the arm, weapon, or
onto the body of the attacker/toucher. Those no protect by body armor or very heavy
clothing will be bitten, suffering 2D6 points of damage and must make a save vs. disease (14)
with a -3 penalty or within 1 hour afterward become sick with a terrible fever and nausea.
Reduce all physical attributes, S.D.C., all bonuses, attacks per melee, and skill proficiencies by
half for 2D4 days.
Bonuses: +2 on initiative, +2 to strike, +6 to auto dodge (does include bonuses from
P.P. attribute), +2 to roll with punch, +6 to save vs. horror factor, and +2 on all saving
throws.
Magic:
Spell Release: Any offensive spells cast by the infected mage are retained by the
Terrorfly Gestalt (same experience level as the mage). These spells are AUTOMATICALLY
released the moment the body takes damage. They will automatically affect the one who
made the successful attack against the gestalt (if within range). For example, if the mage
released the following spells during his infected period; Three firebolts, a carpet of adhesion,
two eyes of thoth, one tongue, and an energy field. The Terrorfly Gestalt would unleash the
firebolts and the carpet (released randomly) per each successful strike against the by-passed
it’s A.R. Once a spell is released, it is lost and so is the P.P.E. the spell cost (it normal
amount). The lost of P.P.E. is a danger to the gestalt. (see Vulnerability). If the mage didn’t
cast any offensive or such spells have all been utilized, the gestalt body will start unleashing
5th level Sickness spells costing only 12 P.P.E. per successful strike against the gestalt’s
body.
Psionics: None.
Value: None, no alchemist in his right mind wants this abomination anywhere near him or her.
Habitat: Jungles and swamps.
Range: Yin Sloth Jungle.
Languages: Faerie Speak.
Enemies: Good Faerie Folk and Creatures of Magic. The fear of spiders is ever present.
Allies: Evil Faerie Folk (accept Toad Stools) and the Undead.
DiceCollector
Wanderer

Unread post by DiceCollector »

Are "Carpet Flies" hard to fight? Are these native only to the LaPorte area??? A OLD friend in Valpo wanted to know (some guy named Randy)
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was NO match fo me at kick boxing" -Emo Philips
Reagren Wright

Not sure, I'm sure the female victims of their reign of terror more than a decade ago are still
feeling the effects of their song magic :D .
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice new monsters! Please keep them coming! Any idea of what you are going to create next? If you are looking for something. How about some sort of comical critter. Something which could be a pet as well as wild. Good enough to get people in the group all laughing about something silly it did at the wrong moment.

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

Something comical hunh, I think I can do that. But first another gestalt. All I can say is I
love the Animal Gestalt picture on page 27 in Rifter #10. It has given be the inspiration to
come up with this entity.

THE WRAITH OF NATURE

No one is exactly sure what are the the Wraiths of Nature. Some claim they are powerful
greater nature spirits/elementals that appear to exact revenge on the despoilers of natures.
They also serve as protectors of forests, fields, mountains, and the animals that live in
them. Regardless if its mortal or supernatural, those who lose respect and appreciation for ]
nature and animals, and deliberately hurt and destoy animals and wildlife, cause these angry
spirits to appear who demands retribution. There is no reasoning or bargining with these
beings, unless one can find an emissory for the spirit will communicate with, and even then
there is no guarentee on surviving.

Wraiths of Nature have more in common with major elementals and Will-O-The Wisps, then
they do wih spirits and entities. They are completely distant from mortals with their own
high standards for (and view of) natural life and the order of things. They have a ravenous
hatred for machiens and technology, destroying tools (especially metal ones) on sight (axes,
saws, animal traps, wagons/carriages, means to make fire, etc). Nevertheless these same
spirits do not have a outright hatred for mortal life, for they view mortals as apart of nature
if they choose to live in harmony within in it. That is why Druids, Were-Shaman, and
Beastsmasters are the only mortals it will have a conversation with and can serve as an
emissory for other mortals. Warlocks will be spoken too, but whatever they have to say will
be dismissed for the warlock can only speak on behalf of the elements, while nature is a
combination of all five (earth, water, fire, air, and spirit). Wraiths of Nature looked upon
them as primivites or immature children. However, mortals who do not seek to subvert or
make nature yield to their demands, but live within in and harmony (enjoy the bounty it
provides) then these spritis will regard them as under its protection, defending the person
as if they were a tree or a helpless fawn.

Wraiths of Nature have a paticular dislike for industrial racial characaters class (dwarves,
orcs, kobolds, and goblins) who don’t think twice about cutting down a forest in order to
make metal, machines, and technology, dig holes in the ground, or they are reckless with
fire (can use for warmth/cooking nothing else). Likwise, the racial characters who are more
in harmony harmony with nature (jungle people, forest/wood elves, kankoran) are treated
with what could be described as compassion, but make not mistake about it, only an
emissary from them will be spoken too.

Alignment: Aberrant
The Eight Attributes: I.Q. 3D6+5, M.E. 3D6+4, M.A. 3D6+6, P.S.: 3D6+20
(supernatural), P.P. 2D6+10, P.E. n/a, Spd. 6D6+60 (always the same after the initial
determination of the very first Gestalt body), and P.B. 1D6+1 gestalt or 1D6+6 depending
upon the animal possessed.
Hit Points: 3D4x10 + M.E. attribute number. Only has Hit Points in natural form.
S.D.C.: Small Animals like chipmunks, lizards, birds, small snakes, amphibians, etc
have 5 S.D.C. each, but 4D6x10 animals make up the Gestalt body, so multiple the result of
the die roll by 5 (4D6x10 x 5) to determine S.D.C. Small but heavier or a bit larger animals
like ferrets, squirrels, raccoons, beavers, bobcats, large lizards, medium size snakes, and
similar animals, have 15 S.D.C. each with, 2D4x10 animals, making up the body, so multiply
the result of the dice roll by 15 (2D4x10 x 15) to determine S.D.C. Medium size animals like
deers, birds of prey, wolves, foxes, large felines, black bears, warthogs, etc have 30 S.D.C.
each, but only 1D4x10 animals make up the Gestalt body, so multiple the result of the dice
roll by 30 (1D4x10 x 30) to determine S.D.C.
Natural Armor Rating: A.R.: 12.
Average P.P.E.: 1D6x100+400.
O.C.C. Skills: Mathematics: Advance & Basic, Hand to Hand; Expert, All Domestic
Skills, All Wilderness Skills, Astronomy & Navigation, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Holistic
Medicine, Animal Husbandry, Brewing: Medicinal, Anthropology (all), and Tracking Humanoid
at 1D6+90%, plus 1D4 Physical skills at 1D6+80%. S.D.C. and attribute bonuses from skills
do not apply.
Horror Factor: 12
Physical Appearance: A mass of living, land animals (birds, amphibians, reptiles,
mammals) in a humanoid form or a large wild animal.
Size: Varies from 5-8 feet (1.5-2.4 m) tall.
Weight: Varies.
Average Lifespan: The spirit itself is immortal, the animals are only used for the task
at hand.
Vulnerability: Weapons made of wood or stone inflict triple damage to the gestalt’s
S.D.C. and double to the possessed creature. Rune and millennium tree weapons inflict
damage direct to the spirit’s hit points, regardless if it is possessing an animal or in gestalt
form. Spell magic, magic weapons, and psionics that affect the supernatural can damage
the spirit. Psionics and mind control magic can also influence and affect the spirit.
Attacks per Melee: Six physical attacks per melee or by magic. Equivalent to a
person who possess Hand to Hand: Expert at 5th level.
Natural Abilities: The ethereal energy being is naturally invisible and impervious to
organic attacks (disease, poison, toxins, gases, etc), normal weapons, energy attacks (non-
magical), cold, heat, and possession. The gestalt and possessed creature lose these
invulnerabilities. Besides its magical abilities in gestalt and possessed form, the spirit can
utilize any of the natural abilities of the animal (or utilize two of them if more then two
animals make up at least 20% of its total body as a gestalt). So if the possessed animal
body or the gestalt is made up entirely of rabbits, only the natural abilities of a rabbit are
gained. In a hodgepodge of animals, it could be the natural abilities of a skunk and
porcupine are gained. Note: The Wraith is incapable of inflicting physical damage in its
natural form. It can only utilize its psionics in its natural form.
Create a Gestalt Body: The ability to form a humanoid body from the living
bodies of other animals. When this is done, the natural needs of the animals (food, water,
air, etc) are suspended until the animal’s release. This living body can only be generated
once in a 24 hours period, but there is no limit to maintaining the gestalt, usually until the
task is done. Destroying the gestalt body does not damage the Wraith of Nature.
Heal Plants and Animals by Touch: Restores broken bones, heal wounds,
injuries, negates toxins and/or poisons and restores 50% of the lost hit points and S.D.C.
(Restores only 30% when used on humans and humanoid life forms. This healing touch can
be done 3x per 24 hours. Must be done when in a possessed or gestalt form.
Animal Possession: The Wraith of Nature can possess a large, wild animal
like a wolf, lion, tiger, bear, deer, moose, snake, etc. In this form, the powerful spirit can
watch the world in disguise, but it can speak and its physical attributes are the same as
those of the Gestalt body. S.D.C. is the maximum capable for the animal +120; the animal
Hit Points are unchanged. The possession can last as long as the spirit desires-minutes,
hours, days, or years-and serves to anchor it to the physical world just like the Gestalt
body. The spirit can either create a gestalt or possessed an animal, it can’t do both in a
single 24 hour period. Destroying the possessed animal, does not kill the Wraith of Nature.
Summon and Control Animals: Same as the spell (at 5th level) of the same
name and cost ½ the normal amount of P.P.E.
Damage: Supernatural P.S. damage, as well as the natural abilities of the animal.
Bonuses: +2 on initiative, +2 to strike, +3 to parry and dodge, +2 to roll with punch,
+2 to pull punch, +2 to save vs. psionic attack and mind control, +5 to save vs. elemental
magic, +2 to save vs. all other magic, and +4 to save vs. horror factor.
Magic: All Earth Warlock spells from levels 1-8, as well as the following wizard spells
Concealment, Detect Concealment, Extinguish Fire, Heavy Breathing, Turn Dead, Trance,
Horrific Illusion, Control the Beasts, Cure Illness, Detect Poison, Constrain Being,
Metamorphosis: Animal (only others by ritual), Purification, Eyes of the Wolf, Sword to
Snakes, Banishment, and Id Barrier. All spell magic is equal to a warlock/wizard at 5th level
(need a save of 13/14 or better).
Psionics: Presence sense, object read, sense magic, sense evil, commune with
animals, telepathy, see aura, and sense dimensional anomaly. I.S.P. equal M.E. attribute x3.
Equal to a major psionic at 5th level. Can be performed by the spirit at any time.
Value: None.
Habitat: Any wilderness
Range: Anywhere.
Languages: Understand and speak all Palladium languages, will speak only to an
emissary in his native tongue.
Enemies: Mortals and those who seek to harm/subdue the wilderness and its native
inhabitants. A strong dislike for industrial races (dwarves, orcs, kobolds, goblins, gnomes,
etc).
Allies: All benevolent Faerie Folk and Creatures of Magic, Druids, Were-Shamen, and
Beastmasters are the only mortals that will be communicated with. Warlocks on a limited
base.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a cool monster! I don't think it's as silly as you originally thought! Seriously it looks very cool!

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

Got some free time coming up. I'll use some of it to come up with some more critters.
First up something comical, yet useable in a game. Coming real soon :D.
Aramanthus
Monk

Sounds great! I can't wait to see your next new creation!

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

THE RASCAL PARROT

On remote island throughout the southern hemisphere, these beautiful
birds can be seen. Many sailor and pirate has tried to make them a pet,
but for whatever reason, these birds are not as friendly as other
parrots and refuse to be trained. Nonetheless, they seem to sense the
presence of practitioners of magic. At this point their disposition
changes, they turn friendly and hospitable, even begin to sing beautiful
songs in the tongue of faerie.

All of this activity is harmless and meaningless. Nonetheless, the
parrots will follow (literally stalk) the practitioner but usually staying at
least 30 feet (9.1 m) away. The moment the mage speaks any
incantations within the 30-foot (9.1 m) radius, the bird immediately flies
toward him or her. The mage will have to makes a saving throw against
ritual magic, otherwise the bird lands of his or her shoulder, and
becomes the mage’s familiar. Should the mage already have a familiar,
the parrot will do nothing. This forced symbiotic relationship comes with
all the usual benefits of a familiar link (same as the 9th level spell),
accept the mage sees his or her P.P.E increase by 50%, yet the bird
retains its independent will and is not obliged to obey the mage. The
bird gains the ability to speak in the mage’s native language and
becomes quite vocal, but the bird retains its normal animal intelligence
and behavior. By all accounts, it’s a normal parrot.

Before long, the nuisance nature of this bird will become apparent. Any
spell the mage recites in the presence of the bird will instantly become
known and at any time of its choosing (usually an inappropriate one),
the parrot can cast the same spell drawing off from the mage’s P.P.E.,
but the mage has no control over the spell. In other word, a friend of
the mage starts calling out to him and approaches, and the parrot for
whatever reasons decided to cast a Carpet of Adhesion spell on him.
Perhaps while walking past the town guard, the parrot casts a Fireball
at him. Maybe when battling a vicious demon, the parrot chooses to
heal the demon’s injuries with a Heal Wounds spell. Any and all spells
spoken by the mage are known to the parrot, as are all powers words if
he or she is a Summoner or Diabolist, the only difference is reciting
power words does nothing unless there is a circle or a ward to activate.
Wizards, warlocks, necromancers, etc are not so lucky. Clergy and
witches who are endowed with their magic are not subject to this
effect. The only limit to how many spells the parrot can cast is the limit
of the mage’s P.P.E. and the level of the spells (number of actions). If
this isn’t annoying enough, these parrots will blatantly speak out the
true name of the mage on a daily basis, especially if anyone asks the
mage his or her name. “Hello, my name is Veric Langoshire.”

Attempting to harm the parrot, the mage suffers the usual effects of a
familiar link, only they are far more pronounced. Any attempt to restrain
the bird from talking, the mage will find he or she cannot speak, try and
clip the bird’s wings, results in the mage losing the use of his or her
arms. Whenever the parrot eats, the mage will feel hungry (not for the
same food as the parrot, just hungry). The parrot also for reasons
unknown passes on its vulnerability to magic and psionic attacks to its
owner.

There are only a few means to escape the bondage between the parrot
and the mage. Outright killing the bird, which may put the mage in a
coma, but will always permanently reduce his or her P.P.E. in half. An
exorcism has a 01-20% chance of success (33% if done by a priest).
An Anti-Magic Cloud spell or Power Leech Circle permanently severs the
bond between bird and mage, but if the practitioner should cast a spell
and the bird is in the area, it will happen again. The safest method is to
trick another mage into reciting his or her true name in the presence of
the bird resulting in the bird jumping mages (no save vs. ritual magic,
the familiar link transfer is instantaneous).

The Rascal Parrot eats mostly fruits and seeds, including large, hard
seeds. A typical sighting in alone alone in a tropical canopy. The bird
lays two or three white eggs in a tree cavity. The female incubates the
eggs for about 28 days, and the chicks fledge from the nest about 90
days after hatching and leave their parents about a year later. Some
wonder if whether or not someone during the Age of a Thousand
Magicks marrooned these birds on the islands in which they inhabit,
because surely no mage in his right mind wants anything to do with
them.

Hit Points/S.D.C.: 2D6 (+12 after familiar link)
Average P.P.E.: 6D6
Appearance: A large parrot (macaw) with a rainbow plumage,
but the rump and tail-covert feathers are is always orange. There is
bare white skin around the eye and from there to the bill. Tiny white
feathers are contained on the face patch. The upper mandible is mostly
pale horn in color and the lower is black. Sexes are alike; the only
difference between age is that young birds have dark eyes, and adults
have bright red eyes.
Natural Abilities: Fly, sing 90%, understand and speak faerie
98%, total recall (same as sensitive psychic ability without the cost of
I.S.P.), sense magic (same as sensitive psychic ability without the cost
of I.S.P), recognize magic and magic users 80%, recognize
enchantment 75%, and speak language of owner.
Parasitic Link: Any mage who speaks spell incantations
(power words) within 30 feet (9 m) of these birds must make a saving
throw vs. ritual magic (16) or will become linked to the bird. This will
result in a permanent forced familiar link between the parrot and the
mage. The usual benefits are gained including a +50% increase to the
mage’s P.P.E. The mage however has no control over the bird behavior
nor can he or she influence or control the bird in any manner. It does
what it pleases.
Attacks Per Melee: Three (spell invocations levels 1-5 takes 1
actions, levels 6-10 take 2 actions, 11-15 and Spells of Legend take 3).
Special Magic Note: Anyone who uses P.P.E. Channeling in their
games, the Parrot burns through P.P.E. like a Creatures of Magic.
Speed: 33-44 (23.1-30.8 mph or 37.1-49.5 km).
Damage: 1 Point from a bite or claws.
Bonuses: +1 on initiative, +2 to strike, and +3 to dodge.
Vulnerability: -5 to save vs. magic and psionics. This is passed
on to its owner the moment the familiar link is established.
Magic: None, learns only the spells the mage recites while having
the parrot as his familiar.
Psionics: Natural Sensitivity to magic but no actual powers.
Value: None, no alchemist in his right mind wants them.
However, there are some crafty spies and enforces out there who sell
and buy these birds in attempt to learn mage’s true names. 600 gold for
a real bird in their eyes. Otherwise 100-200 gold for a bird or 500-600
for a mated pair.
Average Life Span: 150-200 years.
Habitat: Tropical islands
Range: Islands off the Yin Sloth Jungle, Land of the South
Winds, and Floenry Isles.
Language: Speak and understand faerie and acquires the native
tongue of its owner, but general the bird makes loud, low-pitched,
throaty squawks, squeaks and screams that carry on for many miles
Enemies: Mages. Any mage (including dragons and sphinxes) who
recognizes what they are wants nothing to do with them. They are
targeted by natural predators
Allies: Faerie folk, they are not particularly friendly, only after
the link is made with its owner, and to no others.
Size: 32-36 inches (81.28-91.44 cm) long, of which more then
than half is tail.
Weight: 2 to 2.5 pounds (.9-1.12 kg)
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL That is a great creature. And just imagine how much fun a GM can have driving the mage nuts having the parrot do what it wants! Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

I'm not sure what but something creative will be coming soon. Just got to let it bubble to the surface. I'll always take suggestions.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

I've got some new stuff that'll be getting posted soon, too. I haven't been around the forums much recently, but that's because the creative juices have been flowing. I'll get them on here soon... I hope!

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Aramanthus
Monk

Cool! I'll be waiting to see what sort of fun creatures appear here!

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

This one will teach PC not to feed strange animals.

THE BEAR WARE

Those seeking guides to the Northern Wilderness will sometimes see them doing an odd
thing whenever they enter a clearing. They start gathering up medium size rocks (no bigger
than a football) and putting them in a campfire, tossing them in water, or burying
them in a one foot (.3 m) hole. When asked why they are doing these things, the individual
will say, “You can never be to sure if it’s a Bear Ware.” Bear Wares are creatures of magic
that play upon the naivety and unfamiliarity of strangers to the forests of the north as well
as the cuteness factor that plays upon human and elves. The Bear Ware spends most of its
existence as a large rock usually found in a medium size clearing. The moment
humanoids enter the clearing, the Bear Ware begins to take notice, but remains as a rock
until nightfall. Then it takes on the shape of a brown bear cub (six months old). Not only
does it look helpless and hungry, it is adorably cute and cuddly. Should it be killed at this
stage, it will once again turn back into a rock. The bear cub will act just like a curious but
timid bear cub, looking for warmth, protection, and most importantly food. All of this is just
a clever ploy. The cub’s intension is to get someone to feed it. At no time will the cub eat
food that is not given to it directly by another person (meaning it won’t get into a
backpack on its own). It will only accept food given to it by hand or thrown in its general
direction. At no point during this time does the cub radiate its presence as a supernatural
evil or creature of magic. Nonetheless, the person(s) who directly feed the bear must make
a save vs. ritual magic (16). After these individual go to sleep, the bear cub will also go to
sleep (usually nearby). One hour later, the cub transforms into a 10 foot (3 m) adult bear
with white skin and glowing blue eyes. The bear will now kill and feed on all humanoids
within its presence, accept for the one who fed it. The bear does nothing to harm this
person, and for good reason. The bear has a magical bond with this individual; a mystical
physical transference of any damage inflicted upon the bear goes instead to the person. No
amount of damage can be done to the bear; it only affects the inflicted feeder of the bear.
If more then one person fed the bear, the damage is inflicted upon each individual (same
amount). Should this person die, then and only then, can damage be inflicted upon the
bear. If more than one person fed the bear, until each person is dead, can the bear take
damage. Likewise, if someone inflicts harm upon the person who fed the bear, it will take
damage, however the bear will more than likely have a great amount of S.D.C. and hit
points. If the bear is slain, it returns to into its rock form. After it has killed and fed upon all
nearby humanoids (accept for the one who feed it), it returns to its natural rock form.

The rock form is for the most part indestructible (NAR of 18 and 200 S.D.C.) and can only
be damage by magic or magic weapons. Putting the rock in a hot campfire (good for 12
hours of protection), water over a foot (.3 m) deep, or burying it in a hole more than foot
(.3 m) prevents it from transforming, but doesn’t kill the creature. Only by destroying its
rock form can this be achieved. Earth Elemental magic is very effective against it. An
exorcism (by magic, psionic, or clergy ability) will kill the creature as a rock so will placing it
in a circle of wonder. Protection circles (ritual or circle magic) will also prevent it from
transforming. Killing the person who feed the bear can only inflict as much damage as that
particular person has in hit points and S.D.C. Of course, if more than one person fed the
bear, it is possible to do enough damage on those involved to kill the bear, but this will
probably not make one very popular with those who foolishly fed the bear cub.

Hit Points: None as a rock. As bear cub 1D4. As a Bear Ware 2D4x10
S.D.C.: As a rock 200. As a bear cub 2D6. As a Bear Ware 1D6x10+40.
A.R.: As a rock 18. As a bear cub 5. As a Bear Ware 12.
Average P.P.E.: None as a rock. As a bear cub 2D4. As a Bear Ware 6D6+10.
Appearance: As rock, it looks like an ordinary rock. As a bear cub, it looks like an
ordinary five-month old brown bear cub. As a bear ware, it’s a giant white bear (a white
northern grizzly) with glowing eyes.
Natural Abilities: None in rock form. As a cub and Bear Wear, Nightvision 1000 feet
(305 m), keen eyesight, hearing, and heighten sense of smell (track by smell 65% and
recognize a specific scent 50%, +25% the person who feed it), can hold breath underwater
for 10 minutes, swim 80%, climb trees 30%, and prowl 20%. The Bear Ware is impervious to
poison, disease, and cold (including magical), impervious to possession and mind control,
never tires. It only takes one-half damage from fire/heat attacks. Lost limbs regenerate in
24 hours or will be restored after becoming a rock again. The entire body will regenerate in
48 hours unless the head is decapitated (4D6 days). But the bear will return to life.
It can only be truly killed during its rock existence. The Bear Ware will only return to its
rock form after it has killed and fed upon humanoid flesh. As a rock, it can only be
harmed by magic, magical weapons, psionics damaging attack, or earth elemental magic.
Frost Breath (special): Range: 10 feet (3 m), inflicts 4D6 points of damage. It can be done once a melee round.
Physical Transference: Whoever feed the bear cub must make a ritual
magic save (16 or better) or become linked to creature. As a Bear Ware, any damage
inflicted upon it is instead transferred to the person or persons who fed it. In other words,
doing 20 points of damage to the Bear Ware causes 20 points of damage to its feeder(s).
The Bear Ware doesn’t take any damage unless someone else inflicts damage upon the
feeder or after the feeder dies. If more than one, all who participated in feeding the bear
have to die first. Magical attacks like cloud of slumber will affect the Bear Ware, but
anything that inflicts physical harm or damage (including Bio-Manipulation) affect the feeder
first, not the Bear Ware.
Attacks Per Melee: Five physical attacks per melee round.
Speed: 33 (23 mph/37.1 km). Never tires so it can run indefinitely.
Damage: Supernatural Strength, claws do 3D6+10 points of damage, bite does
2D6+4 points of damage, and a bear hug does 3D6+8 points of damage.
Bonuses: +3 on initiative, +6 to strike, +5 to parry, +2 to roll with punch, and +12 to
save vs. Horror Factor.
Vulnerability: As a rock, it’s easily harmed by earth elemental magic. As a Bear Ware,
its -4 to save vs. all types of magic, but if they inflict damage it will happen to the feeder
first. Spells like cloud of slumber, carpet of adhesion, etc will disable the bear.
Magic: None, only the feeder of the bear is under any sort of magic.
Psionics: None
Value: None, bringing the rock to an alchemist will result in being thrown out of his
shop and the alchemist telling the party how stupid they are.
Average Life Span: Unknown, possibly immortal or tens of thousands of years.
Habitat: Northern forests and woodlands.
Range: Northern Wilderness and parts of the Northern Hinterlands (they can be
found in the Disputed Region of the Eastern Territory.
Enemies: Anything that’s humanoid will be killed and fed upon. They strike out
against all faerie folk. Anything that’s 50% taller then them (15 foot/ 4.5 m giants) is likely
to ignored, if it doesn’t attack them first.
Allies: None, although they have been known be extra friendly as bear cubs with Bug
Bears and Bear Men. Should these races feed them as bear cubs, the ritual magic will not
take effect.
Size: As Bear Cub, 2 to 2.5 feet (.6 to .76 m). 10 feet (3 m) as a Bear Ware.
Weight: As a Bear Cub, 35-40 lbs (15.75 to 18 kg). 1100 lbs (495 kg) as a Bear Ware.
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice! I think these will be very useful!

HH....FIE
Reagren Wright

About time I come up with something. Have to let the imagination stew a little.
Aramanthus
Monk

Can't wait to see what you are going to come up with!

HH....FIE
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Hmmm, that's right. I was going to post something too, wasn't I? I'll have to gaze into my grim tome and see what leaps out!

300 Geek Points (So Far)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”