Monster Insect

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Monster Insect

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, this is just something that crossed my mind. If you create a monster insect from a silk worm or perhaps a spider (I know, it's not an insect) and have that creature spin silk or a web, would that material stay behind after the spell is elapsed? The creature responds to normal but does the web stick around afterwards?

-Vek
"Stick pun intended."
count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Unread post by count zero »

Also, could the insect/spider/what-have-you lay eggs and have its offspring remain behind if it returns from whence it came (assuming it has sufficient time to do such a thing)?

Would someone that is bitten and injected with poison have said poison remain in his/her body after the spider has gone?

I'm of the opinion that if it is summoned from some other plane or dimension or whatever, then everything that is associated with it--web, poison, eggs, spoor, you name it--will disappear or be sent back to the creature's home when the spell runs its course or the thing is killed.

If webs left by a summoned spider remain after it's gone, than all other traces it may have left will also remain.

I guess it's sort of an either/or proposition; either it works one way for all conditions, or for none (but not one thing to the exclusion of others--i.e. web is left, but eggs are not). I think it's more a question of taste than a hard-and-fast rule. Pick the one that seems most logical or suits the situation best and go with it.

pax
Ø
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, as Malefic says, the spell enlarges an insect. It just seems like it'd be an ingenous way to set a trap. It's a little PPE intensive, but you can make a big spider web or something like that.

-Vek
"Also good for a lot of other uses."
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

I'm going to say yes. I think that having the stuff left behind is a lot more interesting than not (and isn't that the whole point of having magic in the game???)
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

the question is moot since
a) a spider NOT being an insect, the monster insect spell won't affect it
b) even if you tried the stuff on a silkworm, since the only time when they spin silk is when they make their coccoon to prepare for metamorphosing into butterflies, what you get, if you cast the spell at the right time, is a Giant coccon, that would shrink with its enclosed pupa. My PoV is that for the stuff to remain, you'd have to arrange for it to be *separate* from the creature that made it. (like a spiderweb... want to create a Giant Arachnid spell?)
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”