Affixing Ward's.?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Amas Coal

Affixing Ward's.?

Unread post by Amas Coal »

in the Book(2nded) on pg 121 say'sward's can not be placed on weapon's. then itsay's ward's can be placed on weapon's for storage. ok i understand that. but sence a Diabolaist is Unaffectied by his ward. Why can he Not put a ward of Trigger my touch, Inlfetion agony,Burning pain. on say a mace or whatnot.Sence he is unaffected by hisward's. just a question.
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

This one again, I see ...

Because wards are sensitive devices and can be set off at the slightest touch. So when you go to pick up the weapon to use it ... it gets set off before you manage to whack someone with it; or if someone jostles you while you're carrying it ... they're in a world of hurt. All in all, putting a ward on an item and then expecting to be able to use it isn't a tenable idea.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

Well, that too, but I have yet yo see a ward combination that would actually work for that purpose ...
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

it would depend on how fun the GM wants to make the fixing of the Permanance ward to the weapon?

Inscribed? Folded/cast in to the metal? simple gues per the rules?

and then you have a weapon that is screeming "Magic Object" for anyone who can detect such things.

anyone say demon magnet?
Munchkin Cat Minion
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, also the ward won't go off while the Diabolist is holding the object. The Diabolist would have to purposely trigger the ward for it to have an effect. That's the same as having a ward on a piece of paper and then tirggering it. You can't make a stick that just kills people when you touch them.

-Vek
"This needs to be a FAQ question so it won't keep appearing."
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Yes, an inactive ward will do nothing, but an active trigger will likely be set off by jostling and movement (even if held by the maker) unless the GM gives the OK to a triger requirment that is uncommon, so as to not go against the spirit of the rules and make a Stick of Death.
wards seem to rely on understanding the spirit of the rules more than how the rules are writen. By the rules, it would be hard to play the adventure with the package in the back of Book II: The Old Ones as it would have been set of by movement.
Munchkin Cat Minion
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

the mystic parcel, thats the name I could not remember.
that's also what I have in mind when I said the spirit of the rules.
warded weapons are not in the spirit of the rules (thats why the secret of rune weapons is lost), but you have to stretch them a bit to have adventures like "The Adventure of the Mystic Parcels".
Munchkin Cat Minion

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”