sea of scarlet waters

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Joe black

sea of scarlet waters

Unread post by Joe black »

have a small question, is the sea of scarlet waters in PFRPG actually red?
i think i read somewhere in one of my many books that it is and there was a story that goes along with it, if anyone knows the answer and what book its mentioned in i would really appreciate some feed back . thanks.
Vidynn
Adventurer

scarlet waters red?

Unread post by Vidynn »

well, I never saw any explanation in all the books for PF. but, considering that we on earth have a red sea too, which isnt red at all, I would say no.

cheers, V
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

There is no way it is really red...Is it? :(

You know what, even if a book said it was red, i still wouldn't.

That it got its name from an Elf-Dwarf "battle" would not surprise me (as so many other places/things do... get their names from the war). But i'm sure it refers to the bloodiness/dead toll of said battle ("so much blood was spilt into that sea, the waters turned scarlet")
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, the sea is actually not red. It is however, once you finish the book, read. PErhaps it's just a semantic error or misunderstanding.

-Vek
"Haha, I slay myself."
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Veknironth wrote:"Haha, I slay myself."
Need any help with that? :heart:

And BTW, i have seen the red algae thing, and i guess that's not a bad explanation. I may need to reevaluate my position :P : it just might be red. (sometimes)
Last edited by acreRake on Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

Well if the water was actually red I would have to say thats due to the minneral content within the seabed itself. Maybe the currents are unusually strong and have a good undertoe near land which causes people to occasionaly drown..

Local legend has it that the red is the blood of all them victims who get pulled into the troubles of the still fighting elves and dwarfs.

Just an alternate idea though..
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Look to the first reply, by MrGiggles, and there's your answer. Elf-Dwarf war, massive slaughter, seas turned red for a while and the name stuck. Not red anymore, but was once. I don't remember which book this is in, but I'm guessing either Old Ones, Bletherad, or Baalgor.

This is actually a known phenomenon, sad as it is... the Normandy invasion in WWII resulted in the waters of the english channel just along the coastline turning red from all the blood. There were a couple thousand casualties there. The Elf-Dwarf war dealt with casualties in the tens of thousands on up in to the millions. :-/
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

12,000 casualties, 4,000 dead, I believe ...
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Might have something to do with the (apparent) overabundance of sea going dragonic life forms (ie: sea serpents) living therein. :D (And their unfortunate habit of turning ships crews into stains of the appropriate colour!)
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

For a little bit of character, ya could say (for ANY of the above reasons) that portions (perhaps all?) of the Sea of Scarlet Waters turns red from time to time. Blood? Algae? Excess minerals? Serpent's sloppy eating habits? Ship Crew's messy deaths? Could be anything. :D
Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, idolater, worshiper of fire,
Come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair. - Rumi
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

"Crikey! It's the elusive (and very smelly) Scarlet Water's red Sea Serpent! Ain't she a bute? Look at the blood red eyes, the sharp half meter long fangs, and the graceful build of this girl." *CRASH* "And just watch the way she crashes into our ship trying to capsize us! Just spectacular!" *ignoring sound of screaming sailor falling into water* "This particular species of Sea Serpent is endangered, and many experts worry that this magnificant beast will go extinct due to chronic diarrhaea! Here, come on, let's get into the water and... hey, the Sea Serpe... ewwwww... nevermind, let's just... watch this one from afar, mates."
Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, idolater, worshiper of fire,
Come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair. - Rumi

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”