3 Quick Questions

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Vidynn
Adventurer

Re: 3 Quick Questions

Unread post by Vidynn »

Bobby wrote:ok my first question has to do with the spell Wall of Swords (level 5 or 6 Mystic Bulwarks)found in the Library of Bletherad book

the damage listed is 6D6 but wouldn't it make sense to have the damage based on the size of the target?

Seeing as the wall is literally a bunch of swords the more of you exposed the more it should be. My thought was 1D6 for every 1foot high by 2 foot wide area of exposure or part there of. So say you had a Gnome who's 3 feet tall and a foot wide, he'd take 3D6 damage, but a dragon whos exposing say an area thats 20 feet tall and 10 feet wide would take 100D6 20*5(1/2 of ten). This would fit with my image of the wall being a bunch of short swords whirling around, and the listed 6D6 as standard damage for an average sized human.

My second question has to do with the PS bonus when using paired weapons strikes, Would you get the bonus only once for your paired strike(i.e. half the bonus is added to weapon a the other half to weapon b if hitting two targets)or for each succesful hit with a weapon?

My third question has to do with supernatural strength and the damage bonus. In the core book the only damage bonuses listed for Supernatural PS are when you punch, what would be an appropriate damage increase for using a weapon?

Thanks for any replies :D

Q1: uhm, makes some sense, but on the other hand - why bother. this would mean we had to change quite a lot of area-spells - lets just say its magic, not logic.

Q2: the damage bonus is for each successful hit.

Q3: rulesbook PF2nd ed says: "When wielding a hand weapon (...) a supernatural being inflicts either the weapon damage plus PS damage bonus or its basic damage [the one you mentioned] plus PS damage bonus, whichever is greater."

cheers, V
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Your third question has always bugged me. In Nightbane you take Supernatural PS damage, weapon damage, and damage bonus and add them all together. The result is a nasty blow. Fantasy alters it so the GM
can pick or choose to do either or. I like consistancy however given a Baal-Rog with a Supernatural PS of 36 wielding a giant size claymore could flatten any given PC does give one a moment to possibly reconsider. :?
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Bobby wrote:Kewl that sounds good
as for the PS bonus on Paired strikes, is your answer a "Fact" (i.e. in one of the books, or posted somewhere) if it is do you happen to know where exactly so i can um....point it out to my GM once and for all ;)
Thanks again

its just logics and its not contradicted in the rulesbook. it makes no sense to split it, every blow gets the damage bonus! so if paired wepaons allows for two blows, its two blows...

cheers, V
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, there's a couple of issues here. First, there's nothing I've seen in the boos that tells you how it should be governed. As such, if the GM says they don't stack then they don't. He has a point. The issue of how much damage your character is doing can be resolved in another manner. You can continue doing that damage, but so will your opponents. It just makes it more dangerous for everyone.

-Vek
"We let the damage stack in our campaigns but I don't know if it's the right thing."
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Veknironth wrote:Well, there's a couple of issues here. First, there's nothing I've seen in the boos that tells you how it should be governed. As such, if the GM says they don't stack then they don't. He has a point.

I see it just the other way round: if it isnt govered, if no-where it is said that the damage should be split, then it shouldnt be that way.

of course the GM has the last word, but he shouldnt state the books then and admit its his own decision, based on this senses (and fear that the PCs get too mighty...forgetting that NPCs get the same advantage).

cheers, V

debbin

Unread post by debbin »

Bobby wrote:that could get complicated although it would make a certain amount of sense, although if you wanted to get down to the logics of it you wouldn't get double damage on a 2 handed weapon, you just can't put that much extra force into something with one extra hand maybe 1.5x damage and if you did you should be taking penalties for strike and parry, and overall range, because normally two handed weapons(with some exceptions) are clumsier then one handed and if you are grasping a short hilt/handle (swords, axes,maces etc) with both hands you will not be able to reach as large of an arc around yourself especially to the sides with your weapon, your body itself would stop you.

anyways i think i'll just play it the way the GM wants without kicking up a fuss :D

even though i do think if a one handed weapon gets full PS bonus then two one handed weapons should too O.o

thats pretty much the way DnD 3 and 3.5 does it. if a 2h weapon, 1.5x str bonus in damage. if dual wield, main hand is full str bonus, off hand is half str bonus.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”