New Magic Item...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

New Magic Item...

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Bracers of Mana Convergence

..These rare bracers are highly prized by spell casters. Believed to date back to the Elf Dwarf wars, the secrets of their creation have been lost to iniquity. Forged from copper with gold inlay, the Bracers of Mana Convergence serve to increase a caster's abilities dramatically, allowing them to increase the power of their magic. In the past fifty years they have begun to appear in the hands of adventurers through out the domains of man, leading many to presume that some enterprising alchemist has discovered the lost secrets of their creation...

Bracers of Mana Convergence

Abilities: The bracers impart the wearer with the ability to cast any spell known at two levels of experience higher power than their own. They may also channel PPE as though they were two levels higher. In the alternative, part of the power can be transfered from one ability to the other, so a spell could be cast at three levels higher but the PPE only channelled at one level higher.
..Some bracers have appeared that aren't as powerful, either being only one level higher or having only one of the abilities listed. So far none have been discovered with higher abilities...

..The rarest of the Bracers of Mana Convergence can apply their abilities to magic cast from magic rings or weapons, amplifying their power as well....

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
MADMANMIKE

Re: New Magic Item...

..Thanks for all the responses guys, It really encourages a person to post their ideas.

..Mr. Nexx PMed me with the suggestion that there should be some limitations to the bracers.

..This is the deal; essentially they work as efficiency channels. Like putting a longer barrel on a gun for greater range. The standard description is the most powerful version, while the others are the more common.

..Because of their nature they are only useful up 6th level, at which point your own magic casting abilities would be more efficient than the bracers... So at fourth level with the bracers you would cast at level 6, at fifth level with the bracers you would cast at level 6, and at level 6 you would have a magic item for sale to some lower level mage.

..the PPE channeling works the same, only up to 6th level.

-Mike >8]
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
MADMANMIKE

..For my game the players will have to kill the badguy to get them, so price hasn't been an issue. Frankly the economics of the Palladium world are a bit too hazy for me to lay on a price as of yet. I don't agree with the pricing of most of the magic in the setting, finding them arbitrary in comparison to the availability.

..I also was thinking in the DnD mentality when I designed them, but prefer to stay away from the whole +1, +2, +3 mentality as a matter of system asthetics.

..But essentially that's the idea, a set of +2 magic bracers.

..Right now it's the first time the player has stepped up to a magic class (in the Palladium system) and I want to make it cooler for him to encourage his exploration of the various classes. I intend to run a game where everyone is an Alchemists aprentice using my minion creation rules from my sig for level advancement in all three magic classes. This is a primer for him.

..I also intend to write up an alchemist class when we're through for the game with rules for creating the magic items. This is just a quickie throw together with the abilities I wanted to impart to him.

-Mike >8]
MADMANMIKE

Tyciol wrote:What would the effects of the gauntlets be for games that don't use PPE channeling?

..Pretty much just the increased level. You might give an extra spell per melee, but it's pretty complicated to mesh around the official rules for spell casting.

-Mike >8]
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

For official spellcasting, I'd handle it as "reducing" the spell's level by two. For example, an eighth level spell would count as 6th level in regards to determing how many spells can be cast in the melee round.

Overall, its a pretty neat magical item.
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

Lady A ... you take all the fun out of uber-magic items ... :-P
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

Ah, geez, Lady A, I wa just razzin' ya. You didn't have to go to all that trouble just for me ...
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
MADMANMIKE

..hu-huh..hu-huh-huh.. she said boobies! Hu-huh-huh..

..Snaps!

-Mike >8]

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”