Creating New Spells/ New Affects to Heavy Magic Use

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

WardMaker

Re: Creating New Spells/ New Affects to Heavy Magic Use

Unread post by WardMaker »

OK, I agree with the CONCEPT of creating new spells.. but the way you have it just doesnt make any sense to me.

Why do you need a scroll of "any other spell"?

How about something more like actually DESIGNING a spell, with a % based on things like similar spells that are known, power level, etc? Why do you need a scroll at ALL? Wouldnt you just need parchment and ink, for notes, etc?

While we're on the topic, what about wizards trying to figure out spells, that are already in existence? I dont mean for when they level up, I mean in addition to that.

We have all these old legends about mages who spend their lives in towers, figuring out spells, and stuff. Now, these guys are going to gain experience slowly, compared to the ones who adventure. But, they still seem to have a load of spells. Does anyone have comments on that thought?

Wardmaker
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I'm a little confused. Does the mage learn the spell after this? Is it a deal where the mage can create a specific spell effect (i.e. he can make the PPE into a spell that creates falling milk?)? What happens if the mage fails his roll?

-Vek
"Just curious about details."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The spell creation rules are detailed in the "Through the Galss Darkly" sorcebook
Veknironth
Hero

Well, be careful what you wish for. Rifts has a LOT of spells. So many that it's almost impossible to keep track of them all. The more spells you have, the more problems you'll have with players trying to abuse them. I think that people underuse spells in PFRPG, but if you want more spells go for it.

-Vek
"Destined to escape my fate."
Veknironth
Hero

Well, what I've seen is that rules can be a negative for the GM in this type of case. If the PC has to clear it with the GM in the first place, might as well not have any rules. Have the PC make stuff up and then run it by the GM. If you give the PC rules, there ends up being a leg for the PC to stand on or some rule for the PC to abuse. IF the PC is trustworthy, then rules aren't necessary.

They can give the trustworthy PC guidelines for the creation of the spell, though.

-Vek
"I only have double standards in special cases."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”