Diabolist to Summoner

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Diabolist to Summoner

Unread post by Cranus »

The multiclassing rules in Adventures on the High Seas are rather vague in regards to Practioners of Magic. One of my players is going from Diabolist to Summoner. While I do have some ideas, does anyone else have any suggestions on how to handle the little nuances?
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Re: Diabolist to Summoner

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..That whole 'take "x" amount of time out to learn a new (insert magic spell or ritual here) rule is a pain and doesn't lend itself to a fun game.

..My advice is to have the character discover a book filled with the secrets of Summoning and use every bit of freetime during the transition EP collection to study the book. It's cinematic, doesn't screw up the game and keeps everyone happy except the rules lawyers.

..As I see it, the two are so similar there's no reason for it to become a big deal.

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

can't find the rule to get down and boogie, all you can do is step back in time.

in 1st ed they had the skill for circles and wards that the wizard could take and the diabolist is half a summoner by virtue of his using sybols.

so, allow them to take the knowledge of cirlces that will allow access to protection circles and with some luck you can devise components and activation words for power and summoning cirles. not being a true summoner would require to roll at knowledge check to convince the alchemist to teach you a circle.

there you go, a new skill and no multiclass confusion.
start at base 30 with +5.
Munchkin Cat Minion
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

Thanks for your input.

One of the things I am not sure how to handle is how PPE the character will get once he reaches 1st level (I've decided to have him begin as a 0th level apprentice). Basically, how much PPE should he have for being a 1st level Summoner on top of 4th level Diabolist?

..My advice is to have the character discover a book filled with the secrets of Summoning and use every bit of freetime during the transition EP collection to study the book. It's cinematic, doesn't screw up the game and keeps everyone happy except the rules lawyers.

..As I see it, the two are so similar there's no reason for it to become a big deal.

In "game time", the character ran across a book entitled Summoning Made Easy six months ago. As for real time, the character is one of two characters from my original campaign back in '96/'97. This is my third and he acquired the book towards the end of the second. He only recently achieved enough xp to become 4th and thus was able and chose to multiclass. The transition point is mainly for him to 1) learn any circles he doesn't know 2) polish up any Summoner skills that he doesn't have yet and 3) pick up the handful of new skills from multiclassing.

Or if your learning as you go then you don't get to start off with the knowledge of how to make any of the circles.

Based on my comments above, the character at this point only knows all the protection circles and is in the process of learning the summoning circles.

so, allow them to take the knowledge of cirlces that will allow access to protection circles and with some luck you can devise components and activation words for power and summoning cirles. not being a true summoner would require to roll at knowledge check to convince the alchemist to teach you a circle.

there you go, a new skill and no multiclass confusion.
start at base 30 with +5.

That's a very neat idea. Almost wish I heard it sooner. Oh well. As it stands, the character/player has had as one of his goals to become an alchemist. So levels in Summoner is sort of a prereq...
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Cranus wrote:Thanks for your input.

One of the things I am not sure how to handle is how PPE the character will get once he reaches 1st level (I've decided to have him begin as a 0th level apprentice). Basically, how much PPE should he have for being a 1st level Summoner on top of 4th level Diabolist?

..The Summoner starts out with as much as 100 more PPE in his base than the Diabolist, but they both get the same level advancement (2D6). I'd say give'm 1D10x10 additional as soon as he starts using the circles on a regular basis, and chalk it up to becoming enlightened to the flow of Mystic Energy through his body, becoming a better channel for it.

..In the Wizard there's the Scroll conversion failure table. Use a screw up or accident to explain the increased base and maybe throw in an insanity or two.

..It's funny that you started this thread, as I was talking to my gaming group the day before I found it about running an Alchemists Aprentice game, using my Minion Creation Rules like I did with them before to have them multi-classing between the three requisite OCC's, Diabolist, Summoner and Wizard. Going on quests for the Master so they can learn more magic.

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

..The Summoner starts out with as much as 100 more PPE in his base than the Diabolist, but they both get the same level advancement (2D6). I'd say give'm 1D10x10 additional as soon as he starts using the circles on a regular basis, and chalk it up to becoming enlightened to the flow of Mystic Energy through his body, becoming a better channel for it.

Works for me. Plus it has the advantage of being introduced via gameplay/character actions.

..It's funny that you started this thread, as I was talking to my gaming group the day before I found it about running an Alchemists Aprentice game, using my Minion Creation Rules like I did with them before to have them multi-classing between the three requisite OCC's, Diabolist, Summoner and Wizard. Going on quests for the Master so they can learn more magic.

Neat. One of these days everyone whom participated in games that have character(s) that are working on becoming Alchemists post their input/experience. Heck, it could fill in an "open blank" of Palladium, how one becomes an Alchemist :)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”