Wrist Blades?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PalladiumBrony
Explorer

Wrist Blades?

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

Are there any rules for wrist blade type weapons anywhere? Something akin to what shredder uses in the TMNT franchise, or wolverine in the X-men - either part of an armoured gauntlet, or growing out of the character's hands. I feel like they should do damage like a dagger of some kind (maybe a really big one out of The Compendium of Weapons, Armour and Castles?) and allow the wearer to parry with an otherwise empty hand, which no doubt has its bonuses - IRL parrying with a bare hand would be a STUPID idea, but better than nothing. If you do it with a simple leather glove against a sword, it won't do anything and you'll just take the damage to your hand rather than your face, but if you parry with a metal part like the back, you still have to contend with blunt trauma but you at least stand a chance of deflecting the blow.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: Wrist Blades?

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Yes! There are some magical retractable "knuckle blades" on page 158 of the Western Empire book that are extremely wolveriney.
They do 2D6 damage. I'm sure they can be used to parry just like any other blade weapon.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

gryphon claws a pretty close and it would just be a cosmetic change and are great for parrying with. magic item in main book or first ed high seas.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

kiralon wrote:gryphon claws a pretty close and it would just be a cosmetic change and are great for parrying with. magic item in main book or first ed high seas.

Yeah, the retractable gauntlet claws in the Western Empire book I mentioned above are described as "essentially gryphon claws built into [the knuckles of] a gauntlet".
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

There are bionic weapons in that style in Heroes Unlimited. You can use those as a rough template.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

You might also just adapt a katar aka punching dagger.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

PalladiumBrony wrote:Are there any rules for wrist blade type weapons anywhere? Something akin to what shredder uses in the TMNT franchise, or wolverine in the X-men - either part of an armoured gauntlet, or growing out of the character's hands. I feel like they should do damage like a dagger of some kind (maybe a really big one out of The Compendium of Weapons, Armour and Castles?) and allow the wearer to parry with an otherwise empty hand, which no doubt has its bonuses - IRL parrying with a bare hand would be a STUPID idea, but better than nothing. If you do it with a simple leather glove against a sword, it won't do anything and you'll just take the damage to your hand rather than your face, but if you parry with a metal part like the back, you still have to contend with blunt trauma but you at least stand a chance of deflecting the blow.

In terms of WP you mean?

Megaversally:
-TMNT (revised) gave Shredder's NPC writeup (pg105-6) WP: Suit (IMHO this is likely because his blades are more than just wrist mounted)
-Rifts has various Claw weapons covered by WP: Knife, though modern weapons (guns/blasters/launchers) impose a penalty due their weight (even for Full Conversion Cyborgs) and these likely still fall under the closest applicable Modern WP.
-Robotech has the CADS-1-style system on the VR-041 are implied to fall under WP: Sword (which seems appropriate given the blade length vs Wolverine's Claws or Shredder's bladed armor) in 2E, not sure if anything applied to them in 1E. In either case it's sort of like a Lantern Shield (w/o the Lantern but combines the shield/blade) that IINM is in the compiled Weapons & Armor book (it might also be in one I don't have).
-Weapons & Armor series does have gauntlet weapons (at least x2: Indian Pata and Moorish Manopole Guantlet Swords, there might be other examples) which seem to lump them with the most applicable WP (ie Knife or Sword for blades depending on length)

In terms of actual gear not previously mentioned (Megaversally) there are:
-TMNT or N&SS or the Weapon & Armor Series (get the compilation volume it had Palladium conversion notes IIRC) would be good places to start for alternate SDC weapons
-Rifts has retractable bionic & cybernetic blades that come in both SDC and MDC versions (should be good for establishing damage, the SDC versions should also be in HU and possibly even N&SS), Dog Pack Spikes (possibly) both can be found in the main book (Dinosaur swamp also has a few Eco-Wizard Claw weapons, a Rune Gauntlet is used by an NPC in SA1)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

so hidden blades ala Assassin's Creed are possible? cool.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
PalladiumBrony
Explorer

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

glitterboy2098 wrote:so hidden blades ala Assassin's Creed are possible? cool.

Could be! Though they're something a little different than what I meant in my OP, and probably carry their own bonuses and penalties for deploying them stealthily and using them in surprise attacks.

The major drawback I can see for blades like this would probably be a penalty for parrying - if for any reason the design of your blade forces you to give up the movement of your wrist - or disconnects the movement of the blades from the movement of your wrist - you have to rely on your elbow and shoulder exclusively for twisting, which cuts down on the number of movements you can comfortably or effectively do. Someone like Wolverine wouldn't have that issue, but a Hidden Blade style weapon would.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

I tend to not bother with statting out such things, in real life they don't work well, so I'd imagine a fantasy culture would discover much the same thing.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Bracelet Daggers (Western Empire weapons) appear in the Lopan Raw Edition and hopefully will be canon when Island of Lopan comes out.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”