Wait, how many spells do 1st-lvl Wizard O.C.C.'s get in 2E?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gaunilo
D-Bee

Wait, how many spells do 1st-lvl Wizard O.C.C.'s get in 2E?

Unread post by Gaunilo »

I'm a newbie to Palladium. Can someone kindly help me understand how many spells a 1st wizard gets and which levels of spells? The 2E rulebook mentions 6 common knowledge spells, but then, under "additional spells," says: The player may select 2 spells of choice each level 1 and 2, and 1 from level 3 and 4...," but then says they get only one new spell at each level "starting with level one..." up to their current level. Does this mean at 1st level one gets the 6 common knowledge spells, p!us an additional 2 level-1 spells, p!us 1 more lvl-1 spell? Certainly it doesnt mean the 6 common knowledge spells, plus 2 level-1 spells, 2 level-2 spells,1 level-3 spell, 1 level-4 spell, p!us 1 more level-1 spell for good measure. Right?
Veknironth
Hero

Re: Wait, how many spells do 1st-lvl Wizard O.C.C.'s get in

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I always took it as you start at level one and each new level you can select new spells. So at 1st level you have the 6 common knowledge spells, two 1st of your choice, 2nd, one 3rd, and one 4th. So that totaks to 12. That is assuming that the Wizard hasn't come from wealth and paid someone to teach him or her additional ones.

-Vek
"Minimum of 12, maximum of all spells."
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

6 Common Knowledge spells: Decipher magic, sense magic, cloud of slumber, globe of daylight, and tongues, plus enchanted cauldron.

2 spells from lvl 1
2 spells form lvl 2
1 spell from lvl 3
1 spell form lvl 4

The wording is poor (from level 1) but my take is the additional spells are when you reach level 2 (as that is the first "new" level of experience) and it states "at each new level". We dont add another level 1 spell at character creation (otherwise it would say 3 spells at level 1...)
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

technically speaking the last spell a new wizard learns from their mentor is Magic Cauldron. GMs can take this to mean that the cauldron spell takes the place of any other L1 level up spell that some players might ""insist"" their character gets for leveling from L0 to L1.

There is text supporting this reasoning in the MoM1 book in the Half-mage text. In that in that class all of the chars having it are magic apprentice dropouts that turned to other trades, before getting their final teachings. All of them do not have the Cauldron spell.

Side-note: the same class text has the stating spell numbers for prodigies and other personalities types. That with a GM's approval can be subsided for the normal stating spells.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I always took it as you start at level one and each new level you can select new spells. So at 1st level you have the 6 common knowledge spells, two 1st of your choice, 2nd, one 3rd, and one 4th. So that totaks to 12. That is assuming that the Wizard hasn't come from wealth and paid someone to teach him or her additional ones.

That was always our interpretation, as well.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”