Orb of Cold

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Orb of Cold

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, this is one of my favorite Palladium typos. For this spell from the Northern Hinterlands book page 82, the damage listed is 3d6. Then, in the description of the spell in the paragraph below, it's 4d6. Which is correct?

-Vek
"The best copy/paste error is at the bottom of p186 in the main book. +1 to charisma?"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Orb of Cold

Unread post by kiralon »

Do you get wp targeting bonuses with it?
If you are throwing it how does it travel twice as far as the range of the longest thrown weapon, can you throw it further and get the extra range negatives.
Does throwing it count as one of your physical actions in the round as all it does is create a ball in your hands? Can you actually cast it and then throw it if its your second spell in a round?

My favourite error is the phantom footmans PS of 221 in the first ed book. That there is some damage.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: Orb of Cold

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

In the Rifts book of magic, the orb of cold does 3D6 M.D., in both mentions. Maybe the author of Hinterlands thought it should do more equivalent damage in an S.D.C. environment, and upped it to 4D6, but forgot to alter it at the top of the description and just changed the M to an S? I guess there's no way of knowing which is correct, but as the 4D6 is a change to the original text from the book of magic, I would go with that was the intent of the author, and the 3D6 was an oversight.

It's magic, so it just goes 200ft in one action and no further. There is a throwing action to get it going, but it must be propelled further by magic to reach that distance, so it is not just an ordinary throw.
Yes, throwing takes an action. If it is your second spell that round, throw it in the next round. You have fifteen seconds to do it before it disappears.
It tells you the bonuses to strike that are applicable, and they don't include W.P. targeting bonuses. But I think it would be reasonable to make a house rule to add them.

Yeah, we always used to have a laugh over the 1st edition phantom P.S. as well!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”