PPE Stacking

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: PPE Stacking

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would say that they don't literally "stack" in the normal Gaming meaning of the word, but they do work together very well. The thing is, 'Cephestrecel' effects the user, while 'Ring of Elder' works on the magic of the user. The ideas are like a 'double your money lottery ticket' and a '50% off coupon'.

Now the question of 'Do the effects of the 'Focus Object' (R27, pg 58) along with 'Ring of Eldar' stack together?' Since they both work on the magic of the user from core ideas that the difference can be described as being one side of the coin and the other.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: PPE Stacking

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Smiling_Bandit wrote:Just farting around rolling up a character that will join my collection of characters that will never see the light of day.

Cephestrecel - Library of Bletherad - pg. 96 It says it doubles the wielder's PPE. Figure a base of 100 PPE, then you score Cephestrecel and you suddenly have 200 PPE.

Ring of Elder - Siege of Tolkeen pg. 48 One of it's abilities is the ability to halve the PPE cost of a given spell. So a 50 PPE spell only takes 25.

Do they "stack"? As before we have a base of 100 PPE. That gets doubled, to 200 PPE. Now we want to cast a spell that costs 200 PPE. Is that halved down to 100 PPE? I'm fairly certain this has come up previously. But I didn't see it when I did a forum search.

Smiling_Bandit - Doing his best to be economical with a limited resource

I would say yes, because they work differently... one doubles PPE, the other cuts costs.

However, if someone had multiple "doublers", I'd simply increase the multiple... a doubler is 2x, two doublers is 3x, not 4x.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”