Non-main book magic

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Non-main book magic

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I know that the main book has most of the spells, and the ones in other source books are considered rare and maybe even completely forgotten. As such, it's almost impossible to learn them as a wizard. But what about when the spell caster levels up and has "figured out" a spell? Is it the mage hearing about some spell, or having seen it, and then deducing how it's done? Or can the mage have the spell just come to them? Like a Psi-mystic isn't learning spells, they just come during meditation. How available should those other book spells be?

-Vek
"And if you get one from, say the shadow magic, can you continue down that path?"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Non-main book magic

Unread post by kiralon »

For me the ones in the book are the ones available everywhere, the special ones have to be researched in the locations where they are found (mostly library of bletherad or special locations). However if a character researched and learnt about a shadow magic spell I would give him the option of either pick ing normal spell and being guaranteed to get it or try to self teach themselves a special one (like shadow magic) but have a chance of failure and not gaining a spell.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The level up spells suppose to represent the results of learning through exp. Like they have been thinking about things since the last time they made a connection to figure out a spell. Not some navel pondering intuitive 'just knowing something new' that mystics, psi-mystics, mystic knights,...etc...etc....etc... do.

Availability...This is all up to the individual GMs.

The regional spells for the northern hinterlands and the O. grasslands (early rifter) should be fairly common in their regions. While while spells like those found in the MoM1 book more in large cities. And those on the LoB book should be quite rare everywhere.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

It does depend on which book the spells are in and how they are presented. I agree that most of the spells listed in the various sourcebooks/world books - especially those in Library of Bletherad - are rare and shouldn't be available to any old wizard or mystic without some research/instruction. But in some books it is different, as like as Drewkitty says, the spells in Northern Hinterlands are well known to mages in that part of the world. The spells in Mysteries of Magic I'm not too sure about, as I think they are presented in such a way as to suggest that any mage/warlock could learn them. I allow these ones in my game.

But, from the way the Forsaken Mage in Mysteries of Magic is written, I make this O.C.C. the exception to the rule - the "power" of the forsaken mage is that they have access to rare or previously unknown spells, and as such I allow this O.C.C. to choose any of the spells in Library of Bletherad and beyond.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

side-tracking from the OP's question....
As for the Psi-Mystic types throughout the PB games... everything is "available" including fan spells. It just needs to be something the GM thinks will be useful in the near future 'in game'. This is because the mystic characters are "communing with the universe' to gain their spells.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, drew, that's not off topic. That's one of my main questions!

-Vek
"Thanks for answering."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I know that the main book has most of the spells, and the ones in other source books are considered rare and maybe even completely forgotten. As such, it's almost impossible to learn them as a wizard. But what about when the spell caster levels up and has "figured out" a spell? Is it the mage hearing about some spell, or having seen it, and then deducing how it's done? Or can the mage have the spell just come to them? Like a Psi-mystic isn't learning spells, they just come during meditation. How available should those other book spells be?

Generally, for wizards, I let them go hog-wild on Main Book spells, but require a rationale or source for other spells. Psi-mystics get free reign; IMO, they don't really "Cast spells" but have a weird psychic power that 100% resembles a specific spell. Their powers aren't really teachable, though they are trainable (i.e. a Psi-mystic can have an apprentice and guide their thoughts as any teacher might, but the student might take the lesson to an entirely different place than intended).
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Mark Hall wrote:
Veknironth wrote:Well, I know that the main book has most of the spells, and the ones in other source books are considered rare and maybe even completely forgotten. As such, it's almost impossible to learn them as a wizard. But what about when the spell caster levels up and has "figured out" a spell? Is it the mage hearing about some spell, or having seen it, and then deducing how it's done? Or can the mage have the spell just come to them? Like a Psi-mystic isn't learning spells, they just come during meditation. How available should those other book spells be?

Generally, for wizards, I let them go hog-wild on Main Book spells, but require a rationale or source for other spells. Psi-mystics get free reign; IMO, they don't really "Cast spells" but have a weird psychic power that 100% resembles a specific spell. Their powers aren't really teachable, though they are trainable (i.e. a Psi-mystic can have an apprentice and guide their thoughts as any teacher might, but the student might take the lesson to an entirely different place than intended).

Even with this my question to the character would be why they are thinking about magic like that as their contact with mainstream magic would colour their thoughts more, and if you can't imagine it you aren't likely to get it. If they saw someone casting it however i would have no issue with them meditating on that path.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”