Manticore (Monster Generator)

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Manticore (Monster Generator)

Unread post by Hotrod »

Behold, my first Monster Generator!

I've been kicking this idea around for a while: a different way of presenting monsters and animals such that GMs can have ready-made beasts for their games without having to roll them up or cross-reference bonuses, and by having a range of different strengths, a GM can tailor the beast to suit the scenario.

The "level" of the beast is either a linear scale from its minimum to maximum, or else it's a result of dice roll averages, rounded down. For example, for 3D6, the Puny result is 1 + 2 + 1 = 4, the Weak result is 2 + 3 + 2 = 7, the Average result is 3 + 4 + 3 = 10, the Strong result is 4 + 5 + 4 = 13, and the Mighty result is 5 + 6 + 5 = 16. Note that it's possible for a Manticore to be slightly worse than the Puny result and slightly stronger than the Mighty result; I'm not using the most extreme combinations possible. Rather, I'm trying to show the most plausible range of the beast. If you follow a standard distribution and treat each column as a standard deviation, maybe 15% are "Strong," 2% are "Mighty," 15% are "Weak," 2% are "Puny," and the other 66% are "average."

I adapted my simple global Palladium map to show the range of the animal (Baalgor Wastelands and a bit of the Old Kingdom, in this case), and I adapted and modified some free-use images of a lion's head and a gryphon from https://game-icons.net/ to make the Palladium version of the Manticore (human face, spiky knob at the end of its tail, body of a lion). I sized the image to be printed on a single piece of paper.

This is a prototype, and I crave your feedback. I've been thinking that it might be useful to indicate how common each level is, provide a P.P.E. total (not generally important for Manticores, but maybe a spell caster wants to sacrifice one?). Any thoughts on these aspects or other ideas you have are most welcome.

If there's sufficient interest, I might make some more of these.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Veknironth
Hero

Re: Manticore (Monster Generator)

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, that looks pretty swank.

-Vek
"Who wouldn't like that?"
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Hmm I've seen something like this before :D Very nice Wil.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

That's pretty damn handy. I'm always going through the races for a a couple of days before an adventure to gauge attributes and stats. It's a pain.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Whiskeyjack wrote:That's pretty damn handy. I'm always going through the races for a a couple of days before an adventure to gauge attributes and stats. It's a pain.

Glad you like it! I think I'll try making some more.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Hotrod wrote:Behold, my first Monster Generator!

I've been kicking this idea around for a while: a different way of presenting monsters and animals such that GMs can have ready-made beasts for their games without having to roll them up or cross-reference bonuses, and by having a range of different strengths, a GM can tailor the beast to suit the scenario.

The "level" of the beast is either a linear scale from its minimum to maximum, or else it's a result of dice roll averages, rounded down. For example, for 3D6, the Puny result is 1 + 2 + 1 = 4, the Weak result is 2 + 3 + 2 = 7, the Average result is 3 + 4 + 3 = 10, the Strong result is 4 + 5 + 4 = 13, and the Mighty result is 5 + 6 + 5 = 16. Note that it's possible for a Manticore to be slightly worse than the Puny result and slightly stronger than the Mighty result; I'm not using the most extreme combinations possible. Rather, I'm trying to show the most plausible range of the beast. If you follow a standard distribution and treat each column as a standard deviation, maybe 15% are "Strong," 2% are "Mighty," 15% are "Weak," 2% are "Puny," and the other 66% are "average."

I adapted my simple global Palladium map to show the range of the animal (Baalgor Wastelands and a bit of the Old Kingdom, in this case), and I adapted and modified some free-use images of a lion's head and a gryphon from https://game-icons.net/ to make the Palladium version of the Manticore (human face, spiky knob at the end of its tail, body of a lion). I sized the image to be printed on a single piece of paper.

This is a prototype, and I crave your feedback. I've been thinking that it might be useful to indicate how common each level is, provide a P.P.E. total (not generally important for Manticores, but maybe a spell caster wants to sacrifice one?). Any thoughts on these aspects or other ideas you have are most welcome.

If there's sufficient interest, I might make some more of these.

People keep putting up x generators and I keep thinking they've got an automated spreadsheet, database or something; and with a click, boom the work is done. But then I'm always disappointed to find it is a sheet with rules. :(

I wonder if I can sell the random list of super powers in the back of PU3 pinned to a wall in a house as a connected power generator. :clown:
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”