Priest of thoth...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Priest of thoth...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

I want to get a consensus.

For a very good priest or follower of Thoth, after reaching level 15, could they be taught the secrets of stone mastery for their new class in dreams or an astral plane meetings?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Priest of thoth...

Unread post by Library Ogre »

pblackcrow wrote:I want to get a consensus.

For a very good priest or follower of Thoth, after reaching level 15, could they be taught the secrets of stone mastery for their new class in dreams or an astral plane meetings?

I'd certainly allow it. I would think Priests of Thoth, especially, would be anxious to seek out new knowledge of all sorts... they may be things Thoth knows, but they are new to the priest.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I did something similar to a Priest of Thoth at level 12 for Rifts so I think yes.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

or even an ancient manuscript
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Wouldn't that basically be like taking a second OCC? Changing OCC is allowed, so I don't see why not.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Wouldn't that basically be like taking a second OCC? Changing OCC is allowed, so I don't see why not.

I didn't treat this as a second OCC, I gave no new skills for instance, I treated it more as mystically bestowed ability.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Library Ogre

Sadly, the only remnant of my "priest who learns proper magic" from the manuscript was several "Priests do not learn magic" notes on the OCCs that made it in.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Alternatively, should the GM decide it is something (s)he wants to happen...Thoth could simply grant his priest the requisite knowledge, with or with-out the mystic abilities.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Borast wrote:Alternatively, should the GM decide it is something (s)he wants to happen...Thoth could simply grant his priest the requisite knowledge, with or with-out the mystic abilities.

To be fair the GM can do this with any power for any character. I should know I have :D
Library Ogre

Borast wrote:Alternatively, should the GM decide it is something (s)he wants to happen...Thoth could simply grant his priest the requisite knowledge, with or with-out the mystic abilities.

You could also expand the "Prayer of Intervention", which, at 12th level, you get 21+ (7*11), or 98% of pulling off any magical feat that your god knows (not just spells, as the standard allows)

All Palladium Articles
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mark Hall wrote:

You could also expand the "Prayer of Intervention", which, at 12th level, you get 21+ (7*11), or 98% of pulling off any magical feat that your god knows (not just spells, as the standard allows)

That is really cool idea and it makes it a lot easier for a GM to control than just giving them the powers.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would word it.... "for a very dedicated follower of Thoth". Meaning what level they are is meaning less to the discussion.

Even so, they would also be restricted by the changing class rules on the effects of changing the class of the char.

Even so, I would rewrite the class to fit the SDC'ness and setting of the PF2 game before allowing it...or using the char as a NPC.
-----
Treating it as a mystically bestowed ability is not the same as being taught the class. If I was going to "game design' it for game balance I I can think of three things to "Balance the char": the char needing double exp to level up from that point out, treating the chat as being the SM class till their level is =2 their old class, or have the SM powers start at level one starting at the level the char is at...like with secondary skills.
----
@MH
If it is a mystically bestowed ability...it would be like their priestly abilities...Granted. In other words they are not learned.
----
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I could see a niche for a modified version of the Rifts Shifter serving as an alternate Esoteric Priest of Thoth. Their initial spells would be considerably reduced and they'd lose much of the interdimension/summoning abilities, but they'd combine the ability to learn spells with some of the lesser prayers as well as have a more expansive Link with the Supernatural, which at high levels could be used to grant the most relevant Stone Magic abilities.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

am I missing something about this "after reaching level 15" part? Is that some kind of unique priest OCC for Thoth only?
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Axel, I think it is in reference to the fact of whom Thoth *is*... Not necessarily his "Early Millenia," but whom he is now - the God of Magic and Knowledge.

That plus the OP is referencing changing classes(?).
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”