Methods for breathing underwater

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Eric42
Wanderer

Methods for breathing underwater

Unread post by Eric42 »

So, because I do not have a lot of the books yet, I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this. I have been toying with the idea of an adventure that would have a moment where players could go into the sea / ocean an explorer the ruins I guess you would say of an old sunken ship. Of course one of the major blockades of that is how do the players do that. I was wondering is there any magic that would help players do this anywhere within the palladium universe or perhaps maybe there would be some kind of apparatus that is already made and could help the players breathe underwater.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Methods for breathing underwater

Unread post by kiralon »

There is water breathing type spells, potions and magic items, however make it part of a plot, they swim down and search for sunken treasure lost on a particular shipwreck and end up for some reason finding an underwater city, but a McGuffin in the underwater city curses them to only survive out of water for small periods of time and need breathe air type spells to get about on land until they find the fix for the curse.
Or Let the players figure it out, players are a great source of adventure ideas and give them a couple random sounding ideas and let them run with them. e.g.Someone owns a bathtub of the deeps, that lets you get around underwater for 24 hours until you need another wash, or an alchemist is happy to experiment on you with the create gills spell or so on.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, the most obvious is the spell "Swim as a Fish". It could be cast be a spell caster, drunk as a potion, cast from a scroll, or perhaps there is an item that grants that ability. If you prefer Warlock spells, there are "Air Bubble" and "Breath Underwater". Finally, there is "Breath without air".

-Vek
"And you could always make up a magic item that does the trick."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

level five edit
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

A magic item which mimics some of the water warlock spells would be a simple fix. "Hey, look, magic necklaces that let you visit us!"

If you want to get exotic, give them a "Protection from Water" permanent ward... meaning a diabolist has the ability to learn the extremely rare (non-standard) "water" condition, and come up with fun ways to use it... while also preventing them from getting future permanent wards.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Spells, Scrolls, Talismans, or potions:
Breathe without Air
Swim as a Fish (minor or superior version)
Metamorphosis (there are also specific variants that deal with water borne creatures, though Animal and Superior should have you covered)
Astral Projection (material plane, this would limit one to observation roles only and could only interact with material plane in very limited fashion)
Energy Field (this one is subject to GM approval if it would allow movement, duration might also be an issue)
Armor of Ithan (this one is iffy, it depends on the GM if it would provide air tight enclosure. Ocean Magic in Rifts has Armor of Neptune that specifically calls this feature out, but AoI does not leading to it being GM's call)

Warlock Spells (duplicate some of the above and aren't repeated):
Air: Air Bubble
Water: Breathe Underwater

Other Options:
-Diabolists Wards (need to create Ward Phrase) might work here
-Psionic powers of Astral Projection (as above), Hydrokenisis (Water Spout, make bubbles in the water to sustain?), Mentally Possess Others (level 3, take control of a body that can breathe underwater), TK: Force Field (create an air bubble)
-Enchanted objects (likely a helmet or face mask) that magically allows one to breathe underwater
-Technologically speaking diving bells and snorkels should be available (according to Wikipedia these types are BCE in known uses), even diving suits with air hoses to the surface are theoretically possible (wikipedia has them in late medieval period).
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

ShadowLogan wrote:...-Technologically speaking diving bells and snorkels should be available (according to Wikipedia these types are BCE in known uses), even diving suits with air hoses to the surface are theoretically possible (wikipedia has them in late medieval period).

I was just about to point this out.
Eric42
Wanderer

Unread post by Eric42 »

Wow. When I posted the original message, I had been working a good bit and I had been thinking (daydreaming?) at work about the idea and I wanted to get the idea written down, but I, as I said in the original message, don't have a lot of the books yet. However, I did glimpse into my Fantasy core to see what magic spells it had. I saw none. But it was a cursory glance and I obviously missed everything. I didn't even think about looking in the Warlock magic spells. So I feel dumb.

But thanks to everyone that replied. It actually helped and I've got a lot of great food for thought. I had been wondering if "scuba" gear would be too far-fetched for this type of setting, but I guess it isn't. When (if) I get this adventure idea done, I'll post it and see what everyone thinks. ;)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

My two cents....

Most of the items enchanted to let people breath while underwater would more likely be found near bodies of water where people live and work. Even so they would probably cost an arm and a leg, because of demand for them.

If they find them in a magic shop inland, no-where near any significant body of water they might be sold for less.

They would also need something to keep them warm, because unless the water is near 90[sup]◦[/sup] F they would suffer from hypothermia if they stayed underwater a long time.

Hypothermia rules are found in the northern hinterlands book.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Eric42
Wanderer

Unread post by Eric42 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:My two cents....

Most of the items enchanted to let people breath while underwater would more likely be found near bodies of water where people live and work. Even so they would probably cost an arm and a leg, because of demand for them.

If they find them in a magic shop inland, no-where near any significant body of water they might be sold for less.

They would also need something to keep them warm, because unless the water is near 90[sup]◦[/sup] F they would suffer from hypothermia if they stayed underwater a long time.

Hypothermia rules are found in the northern hinterlands book.

Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me of that. I wonder what some good underwater based ideas that could help, beyond magic.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”