Witches

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Witches

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I was wondering if there was any limit to how many witches an entity could create. I imagine that the more powerful the supernatural entity, the more witches it could support but I have no idea what the numbers would be. Any ideas?

-Vek
"I know, witches come in threes along with toil and trouble."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Witches

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

'how many witches an entity could empower?' the text does n't cover this.

I would set it at the base PPE of a witch divided into the entity's base PPE, since the witch has to get their base PPE (over what they already had) from somewhere. Because before they were witches they only had 3d6 worth of their own.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Well its similar with gods, how many priests can a god empower, well all of them, even if the base number isn't big enough, so i'd guess its the same way with demon and devil lords (Who are treated as gods with limitations in d&g).
My Answer would be as many as you need.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

kiralon wrote:Well its similar with gods, how many priests can a god empower, well all of them, even if the base number isn't big enough, so i'd guess its the same way with demon and devil lords (Who are treated as gods with limitations in d&g).
My Answer would be as many as you need.

With the examples above plus Splugorth and Vampire Intelligences I have to agree. "How many witches can dance on the grotesque central eye of an evil entity? As many as want to."
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I, too, lean towards "There is no practical limit for deific-power beings."

Now, greater demons of great power MIGHT be able to empower one or two witches, but they're the only ones I'd put substantial limits on. I kind of like a rogue witch being hunted by a loyal witch, because the patron needs that "slot" back to make another loyal witch. That could be a good use of the "Kill a foe" pact... but, it might also result in a revolving door of witches. Demon Bob empowers Witch A. Then he empowers witch B to kill witch A. Then he empowers witch C to kill witch B. He might not do this instantly... B may get some time to do things before C is made... but if Bob has two slots, and wants to make a new pact, killing one of his witches is a perfectly reasonable way to open things up.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Palladium unlike D&D does not have divine ranks with its gods/deities/deevil/demon lords which determine how many worshippers they can have.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Reagren Wright wrote:Palladium unlike D&D does not have divine ranks with its gods/deities/deevil/demon lords which determine how many worshippers they can have.

Don't entirely agree. First, you've got it backwards... how many worshippers they have determines the rank of the Gods... add more worshipers and you get more powerful gods. That's more or less how it works in D&D and Palladium.

However, I'd also say that Palladium does have ranks of gods, they're just not formalized. How much does it cost Chantico to use Deific Powers? What about Algor? Or Set? These constitute different power levels of deities, even if it's not formally called Greater, Lesser, or Demi.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

and D&G says this about the gods realms

"From a mortal's point of view, comparing notes on reports of visits to deific realms, there are three types of God-Realms, varying in size: heroic, epic and colossal. In general, heroic gods have thousands of followers on one world, epic gods have millions of followers on many worlds, and colossal gods have billions (or more) of followers on myriad worlds."
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Mark Hall wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:Palladium unlike D&D does not have divine ranks with its gods/deities/deevil/demon lords which determine how many worshippers they can have.

Don't entirely agree. First, you've got it backwards... how many worshippers they have determines the rank of the Gods... add more worshipers and you get more powerful gods. That's more or less how it works in D&D and Palladium.

However, I'd also say that Palladium does have ranks of gods, they're just not formalized. How much does it cost Chantico to use Deific Powers? What about Algor? Or Set? These constitute different power levels of deities, even if it's not formally called Greater, Lesser, or Demi.

Another clear indicator of the fact there are tiers of capacity even between godlike beings is in the fact most demon & deevyl lords both are described as having to pay 2-3 times more to use Deific Powers (unless sacrifice of demons to circumvent loss of parts is involved).

Anyway, i tend to play things in a somewhat backwards manner when it comes to witches and their masters - the power of the entity does not limit the number of witches, but the number of witches and their levels can influence a Supernatural Inteligence's growth. Read, SIs are the ultimate moochers, growing in experience through the acumulated knowledge & experience of its linked minions instead of doing things on its own. :lol:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The single most important word in the above quote is the word "can".

In this context: Can....allowed/capable.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”