Zaranceti "nightvision"?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Zaranceti "nightvision"?

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

It's not explicitly mentioned... but, since they usually live in deep water/ocean environments, should the Zaranceti have some kind of see-in-the-dark nightvision?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Zaranceti "nightvision"?

Unread post by kiralon »

I think they should, probably somewhere between 120-200ft
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Zaranceti...Where?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Braden Campbell

Book 14, pg 82-83
Braden, GMPhD

Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Something comparable to the lower end of various Sea Serpents' nightvision wouldn't seem out of place, in the 2-300' range.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Given the ocean they are found in, I would give it to them.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Braden Campbell wrote:Book 14, pg 82-83

*goes into the books on my shelf and the on-line store to find out which one #14 is....and can't find one listed as #14*

The ones with book numbers
EDIT: on their covers where they should be
are 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.

EDIT: *Found the race by just looking @ multiple pages 82-83*. I would give The Zar's sonar rather than nightvision. Cause that is more in tune with their natural environment.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

All the sourcebooks through Lands of the Damned 1 - Chaos Lands are explicitly numbered, save D&G and M&A.
Some only detail this on the edition notice page, as seen in Book 4, while others such as 14 do so on the title page.
If you're going to pretend to be a quibbling pedant at least come correct. :roll:
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Braden Campbell wrote:It's not explicitly mentioned... but, since they usually live in deep water/ocean environments, should the Zaranceti have some kind of see-in-the-dark nightvision?

I don't think they should, no. While they can survive in deep water, it says they prefer to stick to warmer, shallow waters. So although they may have "retreated to the deep oceans to escape the Chaos War", that doesn't mean they are built to live permanently in that environment. I guess they had to rely on their "incredible hearing", and magic. It says "Many Zarenceti" are air or water warlocks, so one who is both could cast speak underwater and create light to shed some temporary light on the situation. The average Zarenceti can swim from the surface to the deepest depths they can endure (1 mile) in less than a minute, so even an air warlock could cast create light when they are on the surface and bring the light down with them to the depths were it is needed, though it is not ideal. If it doesn't say they have night-vision I wouldn't just give it to them. Maybe they capture and/or breed bio-luminescent lifeforms to use as light sources? Or Zarenceti diabolists create permanent light wards? (Do sea serpent bones count as dragon bones for diabolism purposes?) Or Zarenceti alchemists create magic light crystals however alchemists create their stuff?
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Braden Campbell wrote:Book 14, pg 82-83

The one big exception between the "dying" races in the chapter from Land of Damned, i remember them.

Curbludgeon wrote:Something comparable to the lower end of various Sea Serpents' nightvision wouldn't seem out of place, in the 2-300' range.

Now that you mention, they seem to have some sort of rapport with Sea Serpents as described in their write-up. If that would be a point in favor or against them possessing similar vision - since they might rely on their "pets" for support/tracking much like humans on dogs, felines and other tamed animals - i guess it's up for grabs.

Soldier of Od wrote:(Do sea serpent bones count as dragon bones for diabolism purposes?)

Interesting question - how many creatures more animalistic than sapient are cited in the books whose parts might count as dragons components for diabolism purposes?
Braden Campbell

I actually prefer the idea that they employ bioluminescent creatures as light sources. There's a lot of interesting design space there (like, a "lantern" that's full of saltwater and glowing anemone)
Braden, GMPhD

SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Braden Campbell wrote:I actually prefer the idea that they employ bioluminescent creatures as light sources. There's a lot of interesting design space there (like, a "lantern" that's full of saltwater and glowing anemone)

That works nicely too. I've been toying with giant fireflies and other bioluminescent critters as pets in my version of the twilight world of the heroic realm of Golthos (from Library of Bletherad and Land of the Damned1).
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Braden Campbell wrote:It's not explicitly mentioned... but, since they usually live in deep water/ocean environments, should the Zaranceti have some kind of see-in-the-dark nightvision?

Well given they are an amphibious race able to survive indefinitely underwater and/or on land then yes nightvision 300 to 500 feet (91.4 to 152.4 m) seems about right. I've notice in
Rifts Underseas and Lemuria nearly all the underwater races/beings have nightvision. I really love these guys and definitely plan on doing more with them in future sourcebooks. Hmm,
strange never noticed they didn't have nightvision before.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Um, given that light is gradually absorbed as it travels through water. If they generally live below 150m, the only light available would be bioluminescence, chemoluminescene, or thermal (i.e.: extremely hot surfaces). The only exceptions are waters that are *extremely* clear water, where light can penetrate to 800m or so. The more particulate matter in the water column, the shallower the point where it goes black. In short...the more organic and inorganic matter in the water, the shallower this cut-off occurs. (It also lessens the distance light from the alternate sources mentioned would travel...think about how difficult seeing in a heavy fog, snowstorm, or torrential downpour of rain is.)

HOWEVER, since they typically prefer/live in shallow waters, they would live in the zone of the water column where light exists, I'd say they would have twice the night sight of a typical human. This would prevent them from being blinded in the area of effect of something like a Globe of Daylight.

I would say that when they are descending deeper than 150 metres, they use "torches" (bioluminescent, chemoluminescent, or magical) like a land dweller would do while delving a ruin or dungeon.

Perhaps they have a lateral line like a shark?
Possibly (while underwater), enhanced sense of smell, like some sea animals (sharks for one)?
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”