Mind Block

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Mind Block

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I was converting characters to a new Roll20 game and I read this line in Mind Block (main book p166): "When intentionally closed to supernatural or psychic forces, the character cannot sense anything, cannot use psychic abilities, nor be influenced by others." Does this mean that while using Mind Block that you can't use any psionic powers? What does the the line "When intentionally closed to supernatural or psychic forces" mean? Is that just a flowery description of the spell or is it something specific to supernatural or psychics? It seems like using this power cancels out everyhing else, which I assume includes Sixth Sense, or any of the physical or healing abilities.

The Group Mind Block makes it more confusing (main book p174). It says, "The group mind block works just like the individual mind block power. It can be a means of protecting those around the psychic from psionic probes and mind attacks, but it can also be used to prevent outside forces (good or evil) from communicating via telepathy or empathy." Sure, it can block communication but it could do so much more it's a radius around the Mind Mage so could it stop Pyrokinesis, or Telekenetically moved objects? Would it stop people inside the field from Bio Regenerating? If someone has Invisible Haze on and they walk into the radius, will it be negated? The final part is even more confusing. It says, " but the effect is not detectable so they are not likely to know that they are being mind blocked (only a detect psionics will indicate a group mind block)! If the ability blocks all psychic abilities, how could you use that ability?

Mind Block Auto-Defense seems to only block mind probes both telepathic and empathic. So, is that just more limited than the regular one, or is it how the original power is supposed to work?

-Vek
"Never trust a Mind Mage."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Mind Block

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

"Does this mean that while using Mind Block that you can't use any psionic powers?"
Yes, " cannot use psychic abilities," means that psions can't use any other of their psi powers when they are using mind block psi power.

What does the the line "When intentionally closed to supernatural or psychic forces" mean? It means that when they use the Mind Block power. It was probably written that way to proactively cover the Psi-Mystic's PCC's sense the SN power.
----------
Group Mind Block will still block the user's use of psi powers. However, it looks like what is meant by the way the text was written is that it only blocks the area from being sensed from that outside, and the outside being sensed from the inside, and blocks telepathic communications.

As such I would (if the GM) rule that GMB doesn't block the use of psionic (self) buffs or physical psionic powers.
---------
MBAD: I would interpret the text as if the probes just activate the Mind Block power in all of its fullness. PB writing tends to leave out text when it has already been written elsewhere.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Palladium's cut and paste strikes again.

"Open" and "closed" to the supernatural were big concepts in 1e BTS. Mind Block was sort of a more severe form of closing to the supernatural, and also prevents you from using psychic powers. Great if you don't have a lot of powers.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Yeah, as I've always understood it, mind block prevents you from using your psychic powers. The line "cannot use his psionic abilities" is pretty unambiguous. I have used group mind block many times as an offensive move as well as defensive, to stop enemies (and allies) from using their psionics.
Mind mage vs Mind mage:
Action 1: activate psi-sword
Action 2: group mind block
Action 3: stabby stabby

Also, group mind block has a 120ft radius range, and detect psionics is 30ft range per level, so a fourth level or higher psychic could detect a mind block from outside its influence. (Even a first level psychic 121ft-149ft away from the group mind blocker could detect a third person affected by the group mind block who is no more than 30ft away from them and within the 120ft radius of the block)
Other longer range psionic powers (that don't directly affect the minds of the people within its range of protection) could also be used from outside to affect those inside, such as dispel spirits, see the invisible, mind bolt, pyrokinesis or super telekinesis. As long as the person's brain/mind stays outside the range of the mind block, they can use psychic powers to move objects, etc, inside.

The way I read invisible haze is that when the psychic activates the power, they send a wave of hypnotic suggestion that affects everyone who can see them at that moment (there is no range!). Once they fail to save, that suggestion lasts for six minutes (see where it says about "recasting" the power a second time for clarification). So if the suggestion was made before the block is put up, the effect continues (as with any other long lasting power that does not require constant action to maintain, such as psi-sword). But anyone already within the radius of a group mind block when it is cast would be unaffected by the invisible haze suggestion.

Mind block auto-defence engages upon "telepathic and empathic probes and other mind attacks such as empathic transmission and induce nightmares", so I guess it is open to interpretation which powers specifically come under that category. Ordinary mind block protects against "telepathy, empathy, hypnotic suggestion, induced nightmares and empathic transfer", so the two powers look very similar to me. Hypnotic suggestion I think would definitely come under the "other mind attacks" mentioned.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”