1st edition Monsters and Animals

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZorValachan
Adventurer

1st edition Monsters and Animals

Unread post by ZorValachan »

I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I am starting a new game using 1st edition Palladium Role-Playing Game. It was the game that sucked me into Role-Playing back in the 1980s and I've been having an itch to go old school. Sadly, my 1st edition Monsters & Animals book was ruined while in storage and I cannot find a copy for a reasonable price. The pdf is not on Drivethrurpg. I do have 2nd edition.

I'm not asking for a copy or anything. I just have a very specific question about the Bearmen. I have a player that really wants to play a bearman. I do not feel that using 2nd edition attributes/stat block is right. I see that other races have adjustments in starting attribute rolls. I'm not asking for the full stat block, just If someone has both books, what are the differences? And are any of the special ability things in the 1st edition? Again, I'm not asking for the whole thing to be copied. I know that is probably breaking the forum rules. But changes would not get me anything without having the 2nd edition book also.

or, if someone might know where i could get a legitimate copy (physical or digital) for under the $45 currently listed on Ebay, please send me a pm.

Thank You
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: 1st edition Monsters and Animals

Unread post by kiralon »

ZorValachan wrote:I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I am starting a new game using 1st edition Palladium Role-Playing Game. It was the game that sucked me into Role-Playing back in the 1980s and I've been having an itch to go old school. Sadly, my 1st edition Monsters & Animals book was ruined while in storage and I cannot find a copy for a reasonable price. The pdf is not on Drivethrurpg. I do have 2nd edition.

I'm not asking for a copy or anything. I just have a very specific question about the Bearmen. I have a player that really wants to play a bearman. I do not feel that using 2nd edition attributes/stat block is right. I see that other races have adjustments in starting attribute rolls. I'm not asking for the full stat block, just If someone has both books, what are the differences? And are any of the special ability things in the 1st edition? Again, I'm not asking for the whole thing to be copied. I know that is probably breaking the forum rules. But changes would not get me anything without having the 2nd edition book also.

or, if someone might know where i could get a legitimate copy (physical or digital) for under the $45 currently listed on Ebay, please send me a pm.

Thank You

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Monsters-an ... ctupt=true
but id ask for a pic
ZorValachan
Adventurer

kiralon wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I am starting a new game using 1st edition Palladium Role-Playing Game. It was the game that sucked me into Role-Playing back in the 1980s and I've been having an itch to go old school. Sadly, my 1st edition Monsters & Animals book was ruined while in storage and I cannot find a copy for a reasonable price. The pdf is not on Drivethrurpg. I do have 2nd edition.

Thank You

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Monsters-an ... ctupt=true
but id ask for a pic

Thanks, but that one is second edition.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

So hopefully not breaking rules here but, the book lists attributes as follows:

Monsters & Animals pg 12 wrote:
Attributes: The number of six sided dice are designated.

IQ: 2
ME: 2
MA: 2
PS: 5
PP: 4
PE: 6
PB: 3
Spd: 3

Also, my version that I'm referencing is a third printing from 1989 with the reptile-looking dude holding a bloody axe. I have no idea if its first or second edition though.
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Captain_Nibbz wrote:So hopefully not breaking rules here but, the book lists attributes as follows:

Monsters & Animals pg 12 wrote:
Attributes: The number of six sided dice are designated.

IQ: 2
ME: 2
MA: 2
PS: 5
PP: 4
PE: 6
PB: 3
Spd: 3

Also, my version that I'm referencing is a third printing from 1989 with the reptile-looking dude holding a bloody axe. I have no idea if its first or second edition though.

1989 is 1st edition, no question. 2nd edition came out in '96.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Thank you very much! that is 1st. My second has different stats.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

I was able to snag a $15 copy on ebay over the weekend. Thanks for everything. That will tide me over until i get it. I'm starting a new game. I was a Robotech fan and that RPG in the 1980s got me into gaming and 1st edition Palladium hooked me.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

apparently nothing much changed for the bearmen between editions. I got my book yesterday and Yin-Sloth today. So, once again my 1st edition collection is complete.
Halda
Newb

Unread post by Halda »

I do love the 1st ed version of Palladium Fantasy. Is there any plan to release this as a PDF? I am sure there are a number of people who would be keen for it.

It seems to be the most glaring one missing from the old books on DriveThru. Other than this one it is just Villains Unlimited 1st ed, Aliens Unlimited pre-revised and the pre-revised Heroes Unlimited that are missing. That said the differences in 1st ed Monsters and Animals is far greater.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”