Clouds

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Clouds

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I again was frustrated with the search tool so instead of continuing to look I'm going to just post about it. What are the limits to casting Cloud spells? All of the cloud spell descriptions have ranges and sizes of the cloud, but they don't say anything about line of sight. I'd expect you need line of sight (I'm going to put the cloud there) but it doesn't say anything. The obvious acceptable situation is casting the cloud out in the open, centered on a location you can see currently with nothing in between.

But you can add on different things to make it cloudier (intended). For example, what if you can see into a room or an abode through a window, can you cast the cloud inside it? What if the window is glass, allowing you to see but still creating a physical barrier? What if you knew there was a room behind a door, could you cast it into that room? What if you didn't know what was beyond the door? What about being on one side of a wall and casting the spell on the other side? What if you misjudge the thickness of the wall and end up with some of the cloud in the wall and there rest outside of it? Could you cast the cloud in a house and hit several rooms at once?

-Vek
"I'm sure I'm missing some other complications."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Clouds

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If you are talking about the Cloud of slumber or cloud of Smoke type spells...

LOS...most of the time this is true for most spells. If you can see through the window then there is LOS. (That is if it isn't a MDC windows & walls for some odd reason.)

If I was the GM...I would rule that it take an extra APM to casting blind around the courner. All of these questions are something individual GMs have to make a ruling on for their games.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Currently im playing LOS, but has to have no physical blocks either, but casting through a keyhole is fine.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, this is probably only applicable to things like Cloud of Slumber, but how opaque would something like CoS be? Also, are there actual particles that form the cloud, or is it just an area of magic that looks like a cloud? If someone fired an arrow through such a cloud, would it create a wake, that the cloud fills in? If someone were moving inside of a cloud, would they create ripples or something similar?

-Vek
“This could be a great way to find invisible creatures.”
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I tend to go by go by the if the spell doesn't say it does it then it doesn't do it cause magic, saves on confusion.
Otherwise, as it doesn't say it impedes vision i have cos as a barely visible haze
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

If the cloud doesn't specifically grant some sort of concealment, I say it doesn't have any. It is visible as a haze, but not enough to provide any effective concealment. If you shoot an arrow through it, or some other other movement, it will react like a cloud... wakes, ripples, etc.... but that won't appreciably effect the magic.

I'd also say that it tends to be LOS, not LOE.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”