Weapon proficiencies - what's covered?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PalladiumBrony
Explorer

Weapon proficiencies - what's covered?

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

There's some weird combination weapons in some of the "compendium of weapons" books, and I'm not sure which weapon proficiency would be required to use them: For example, sickles I think should go under WP: Knife, but I'd be glad of anyone else's opinion on that. And then you've got weapons like the Kusarigama, which is a weird case - it's got a sickle that you hold in your main hand, but then it's got a seven-foot length of chain you hold in your off-hand, and use to strike and entangle the opponent. So... would a weapon like that, that's basically 2 different weapons strapped together, require the knife, chain or both WPs? And what the heck WP do I use for claws? XD
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Weapon proficiencies - what's covered?

Unread post by Kraynic »

Anything bladed that is held in the hand, I would probably assign to knives, small swords, or large swords (if there are any that large) as it made sense for their size. I would be tempted to use WP Grappling Hook for the Kusarigama, since that is intended for the hook with rope attached. Just substitute the entangle in place of tripping. For the claws, I would be tempted to say it has no WP and use the same rolls as unarmed, but with the damage from the claws. Or use knives and strip out the bonus to throw.

I have the Compendium of Weapons, Armour & Castles, so I think I am seeing most of what you are looking at in there. There are a lot of weapons that would certainly be a judgement call.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

PalladiumBrony wrote:There's some weird combination weapons in some of the "compendium of weapons" books, and I'm not sure which weapon proficiency would be required to use them: For example, sickles I think should go under WP: Knife, but I'd be glad of anyone else's opinion on that. And then you've got weapons like the Kusarigama, which is a weird case - it's got a sickle that you hold in your main hand, but then it's got a seven-foot length of chain you hold in your off-hand, and use to strike and entangle the opponent. So... would a weapon like that, that's basically 2 different weapons strapped together, require the knife, chain or both WPs? And what the heck WP do I use for claws? XD

Greetings and Salutations. First, in general, weapons do not "require" a W.P. to use, only for the benefit of getting additional combat bonuses. With that said ...

1: Sickle. By the rules, I'd say the sickle, on its own, would probably fall into the "Miscellaneous" category for Palladium Fantasy, which means "no W.P. bonuses." I'm using page 269 as the basis for my answer. Also included in this category are the Black Jack (which would be arguably Blunt), Bull Whip (how is this not Whip?!), Meat Cleaver (which would be arguably Knife), Large Pick (arguably Axe), shovel, frying pan, etc. With that said, I'd be fine with someone using W.P. Knife, but I wouldn't say that's what Palladium intended either.

2: Kusari-Gama. Ninjas & Superspies doesn't state a specific W.P., but it does mention the weapon can't be used by "anyone not trained in hand to hand martial arts, assassin or ninjitsu." So requiring HtH: Martial Arts or HtH: Assassin might be a requirement. Setting that aside, I can see two ways to go.

2a: Palladium Fantasy has a W.P. Grappling Hook. In Ninjas & Superspies, they include the description for the Kusari-Gama and Kyoketsu-Shogi together, with the latter being used more for climbing (similar to a Grappling Hook), and the Compendium of Weapons, Armour & Castles mentions the two weapons are used similar in combat. From what I know of them, the combat use would also be similar to a Grappling Hook (part used to entangle, and then when up close using the metal section to impale opponents). So whenever available in the setting, I'd go with W.P. Grappling Hook.
2b: Use W.P. Chain when trying for entangle, and W.P. Knife when using the sickle up close. This is the option I'd use in most settings (whenever W.P. Grappling Hook isn't available). In this case, I probably would require HtH: Martial Arts or Assassin to be selected to use the weapon at all. With that prerequisite, the W.P. would only add bonuses (so you could, in theory, have only one of the W.P. and be more skilled with that part of the weapon than the other).

3: "Claws." This would depend exactly on which weapon you mean. If you're discussing the Bagh Nakh, the Indian "tiger claw" weapon, then I'd say that the standard answer would go back to "no W.P. bonuses." The blades are small, and the book does not include it in any knife section of the book. They're probably closer to a Cestus (or not quite as close, but same type of category, as Brass Knuckles). They add damage, but they're not a W.P. category in their own right due to how close they are to the hand. Now, if you had something that extended further out beyond that hand (more like Wolverine style claws), I believe both HU and Rifts have categorized that as W.P. Knife.

All right, I think that's all for now. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

PalladiumBrony wrote:There's some weird combination weapons in some of the "compendium of weapons" books, and I'm not sure which weapon proficiency would be required to use them: For example, sickles I think should go under WP: Knife, but I'd be glad of anyone else's opinion on that. And then you've got weapons like the Kusarigama, which is a weird case - it's got a sickle that you hold in your main hand, but then it's got a seven-foot length of chain you hold in your off-hand, and use to strike and entangle the opponent. So... would a weapon like that, that's basically 2 different weapons strapped together, require the knife, chain or both WPs? And what the heck WP do I use for claws? XD

Sickles strike me as WP: Axe or misc. category (no bonuses),

Kusari-gama per Rifts WB8 Japan says it requires WP: Chain.

Claws fall under WP: Knife in Rifts and Heroes Unlimited, so in PF I would say they are also WP: Knife (for megaversal consistency) though Sword might be a suitable substitute with the right size.
PalladiumBrony
Explorer

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

Prysus wrote:First, in general, weapons do not "require" a W.P. to use, only for the benefit of getting additional combat bonuses.

Whoops! Yes, sorry, that was what I meant. My bad for being unclear

Also, thanks to everyone for clearing up the issues I was having in general!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”