Few questions for Longbowman OCC

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SamBell
Explorer
Comment: What is grief, if not love preserving?

Few questions for Longbowman OCC

Unread post by SamBell »

Question 1: Do you add in PP bonuses to strike with a longbow? If so, please source; I have some rule nazi's in my group

2: Best race for longbow-man? preferably those native to Palladium. Curious to see those that may get some sort of racial bonus with bow?

3. Is there any sort of book that outlines weapons for PFRPG like the GM's guide for Rifts?

Thanks in advanced, all! :D :D
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61- Colonel Cambell
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Few questions for Longbowman OCC

Unread post by kiralon »

1. Page 16 where it gives the bonuses to strike parry and dodge, just like where the archery skill says +1 to strike. The archery skill uses the same wording, +1 to strike at lvl 2 etc. So if the archery bonus applies then the pp bonus should too.
I'm sorta interested in what makes them think otherwise (However, get them to prove it doesn't, it's their claim that it doesn't so they should do the work to prove it so).

2. Cyclops, as they make lightning arrows ;), otherwise wolfen for the size bonus, or elves because they can see in the dark.

3. Weapons and castles would probably be the closest thing, but probably won't be what you are looking for. Mostly the main book.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

1. Yes. The bonuses to strike are added together for strike rolls as per the combat bonuses paragraph on page 44. Archery bonuses are the same as for other weapon proficiencies. For further evidence, there is a note under W.P. modern weapons stating that P.P. bonuses do count for that (because it is clarifying it after saying that hand to hand bonuses don't).

2. Agreed - the cyclops is probably best for their size and access to lightning weaponry (but playing a giant has other side effects). Night vision of 60ft doesn't make much difference when using a weapon with a range of 700+ft. My personal recommendation for longbowman is a Kankoran. They have a high P.P., good initiative bonus (to make enemies waste actions dodging right from the start), and it suits their image/background. Centaurs are supposed to be the Palladium World's bow experts, but they don't appear to have any specific bonuses (but they are fast enough to put some distance between themselves and their targets). But overall the poor damage from bow attacks makes any giant-sized archer a very tempting option.

3. See the previous response!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1:To my knowledge there are no rules that prohibit the PP bonuses to be added to the use of any bows. Your Rules Nazi 'might' be miss-remembering/mis-applying the rules about firearms not getting the PP bonuses added to their strike rolls. A good way to counter this might be to ask this person to find the applicable rule within the PFRPG mainbook.
Side Note: Even so-the PF setting is the only one where there is a WP for firearms that Dose Get the PP bonus withthe use with firearms.

2: Within the racial text in the PFRPG core book 1st printing there are no extra nat abilites that deal with bonuses with bows.
However, in the RCB1 in the nat abilites of elves have a bonus to their bows attack, of a +1 Attack. However, this bonus in the RCB1 is not applicable within the PF setting unless the GM rules to include it in the game.

3. yes, there are weapons compinidums for anchent weapons (and had one with SD modern weapons). They can be found in PB's online store.
https://palladium-store.com/1001/catego ... diums.html
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

1. "Each W.P. provides combat training with a particular type of weapon. The result is hand to hand combat bonuses to strike and parry whenever that particular weapon is used." PFRPG Main Book, 59. Since PP bonuses are added to a character's hand-to-hand combat totals, a higher PP does affect the total to-strike bonus with a bow (or any other ancient weapon proficiency for that matter). PS damage bonuses, on the other hand, are not included.

2. Any race that gets 4D6 or more to PP

3. Palladium's Weapons, Armor, & Castles... no longer in print.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
crazycowproductions
D-Bee
Comment: Sometimes the best Solution is to think before acting, but then again Acting before you think is the human solution too :D

Unread post by crazycowproductions »

1- Yup page 59 main book

2- I'd voice other than cyclops, Centaurs. Page 35 of Monsters & Animals PP 4d6 or A Fast Reflexes & High Dexterity Based character
IQ 1d4+10 ME 1d6+9 MA 1d6+8 PS 1d6+9 PP 1d6+19 PE 1d6+9 PB 1d6+10 SPD 1d6+17
Several books give such attribute break downs, I got this one from Page 160 of Dead reign and if the GM allows the special aptitudes, Sure Shot on Page 162 of the same book. (+2 Bonus to Strike with all Projectile Weapons, Just not explosives or Thrown Weapons)

3- There was, but they are out of print, you might be able to still find it as a Downloadable PDF however Palladium's Weapons, Armor, & Castles
One moment your a nobody, the next a hero. But you still gotta put your pants on one leg at a time.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:2: Within the racial text in the PFRPG core book 1st printing there are no extra nat abilites that deal with bonuses with bows.
However, in the RCB1 in the nat abilites of elves have a bonus to their bows attack, of a +1 Attack. However, this bonus in the RCB1 is not applicable within the PF setting unless the GM rules to include it in the game.

I was trying to figure this one out. No one mentioned Elf and I clearly remember them getting an extra attack, but I couldn't find it. I can't find my copy of RCB1 to check but figured it was stated in there.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

SamBell wrote:Question 1: Do you add in PP bonuses to strike with a longbow? If so, please source; I have some rule nazi's in my group

Yes. The strike bonus applies unless it specifically states otherwise (it does not apply to modern firearms).

SamBell wrote:2: Best race for longbow-man? preferably those native to Palladium. Curious to see those that may get some sort of racial bonus with bow?

+Elves from the Vequerrel Woodlands of the Western Empire (p90) get a nice bonus (+1 to strike and +1 attack per melee with bows and arrows).
+Human females from the founding family of the Seven Sisters Shadow Colony (Northern Hinterlands, p162) automatically get W.P. Longbow, an initiative bonus, and +1d4 P.P., and can choose any Wilderness skill. If you already have an awesome P.P. as a human, it's a book-legal way to bump it higher (in theory, you could have a P.P. of 34 this way).

I'd actually shy away from Cyclops and Centaur characters; they stick out too much for my tastes. If you really want to take your character to the next level in ranged combat, I'd encourage you to explore the following options:

1. Create/use poisons or toxins with your arrows. Non-lethal toxin effects (blind, paralysis, et cetera) are especially useful.
2. Get yourself a Millennium Tree Bow (Eastern Territories).
3. Failing that, go see the bowyer in the regional capital of the Vequerrel Woodlands for a custom-made bow that adds a nice bonus to your archery.
4. Get some of those fancy arrowheads that the mounted mercenary unit in the Western Empire uses for extra damage.
5. Obtain some exotic woods/metals for your fletcher to work with, like Yellow Wood (Eastern Territories) or Stonewood (Northern Hinterlands) and Black Iron (Hinterlands) or Black Metal (Dragons/Gods).

SamBell wrote:3. Is there any sort of book that outlines weapons for PFRPG like the GM's guide for Rifts?

Compendium of Weapons, Armor, and Castles is a pretty great resource.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”