Multiple Image spell: Exponential or not?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

donJulio
D-Bee

Multiple Image spell: Exponential or not?

Unread post by donJulio »

My interpretation is that the spell cast twice, would create a total of 15 images of the spell caster. My son's character (Wolven Wizard) just used it in a fight (wisely) twice, back-to-back (one melee). He is only level two, which left him 7 melees of duration on the spell. In addition to creating so many copies of himself, the orc raiding party (nine of them, all level 3 soldiers), all focused on my character (level 2 danzi) as they could tell it was the only one they knew was 100% real.

Do you guys agree with:
A) That the spell is exponential and the consequences of such a rule (ex. 255 copies with four castings spent over two melees).
B) It is likely to cause an enemy to simply give up and attack a different character if at all possible.
C) My interpretation is that if #A is true, then it is likely to cause a horror factor in opponents as well.

I suppose a counter to point A is that it only takes one member of an opposing party to make the saving throw vs magic in order to make it clear to the others which is real, as they will fight that one. As for point #C, this raiding party has six dead orcs and three incapacitated in 1.5 melees, i.e. 22.5 seconds, so as the GM I never even had a chance to give the orc party an opportunity to come to their senses and flee. granted, there was a bounty on their heads, so they wouldn't have been allowed to escape.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Multiple Image spell: Exponential or not?

Unread post by kiralon »

A it says

A magic illusion that creates three identical images of the spell caster.

You would only get 3 images per casting, as the images aren't the spell caster, they are the images of the spellcaster so don't get mirrored.
But it would be interesting to know if the +2 initiative, +2 to dodge and +1 to strike effect those that make their saving throw vs magic.
malaclypse
D-Bee

Unread post by malaclypse »

I would not allow it to create the multiple images more than once. If you cast it again, your original images are replaced by new ones.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It wouldn't make illusion copies of the illusion copies.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”