Garden of the Gods

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Garden of the Gods

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Is anyone besides me stoked and anticipating this book as much as I am?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Hotrod
Knight

Re: Garden of the Gods

Unread post by Hotrod »

This and Land of the Damned 3. And Lopan.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Is anyone besides me stoked and anticipating this book as much as I am?

I read the RPE and really liked it so I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. I have also been trying to come up with a unique PFRPG character that I can use for Rifts convention games that would have powers and abilities that would make them interesting in Rifts and I think there might be something in this that I can use.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Hotrod wrote:This and Land of the Damned 3. And Lopan.
Are Lopan and LotD3 in development right now?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Hotrod wrote:This and Land of the Damned 3. And Lopan.
Are Lopan and LotD3 in development right now?

Lopan and Phi were at one time going to take place in one book. I decided to seperate them into two books so they both could get fully
detailed with lots of good stuff. Kevin later announced Garden of the Gods would take place in Lopan. As such the 2nd revised manuscript of
Lopan that was turned in months earlier needed to be called back. I had to do some revisions to it and had to wait until Garden of the Gods
came out so it can be resubmitted without any continuity errors. Trying to avoid some minor errors that happen in Bizantium.
So and soon as GoD comes out, I will read over it with a fine tooth comb, then a 3rd revised manuscript ogf Lopan will be resubmitted. Phi is
still on the computer finished but cannot be submitted until after a completed Lopan comes out and that book receives a find tooth edit and
further revisions. In the meanwhile I'm woring on two other projects simultaniously. So yes Lopan is coming it's just in a holding pattern at
the airport during a snowstorm. Plenty of fuel (enthusiasm) and good stuff coming. Garden of Gods will just wet the Lopan whistile and that
book I can assure PF fansx is awesome!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, the book I'm most excited about is the Old Kingdom. From what I've read it should be out in 1998!

-Vek
"Really any PFRPG books are welcome."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Reagren Wright wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Are Lopan and LotD3 in development right now?

Lopan and Phi were at one time going to take place in one book. I decided to seperate them into two books so they both could get fully
detailed with lots of good stuff. Kevin later announced Garden of the Gods would take place in Lopan. As such the 2nd revised manuscript of
Lopan that was turned in months earlier needed to be called back. I had to do some revisions to it and had to wait until Garden of the Gods
came out so it can be resubmitted without any continuity errors. Trying to avoid some minor errors that happen in Bizantium.
So and soon as GoD comes out, I will read over it with a fine tooth comb, then a 3rd revised manuscript ogf Lopan will be resubmitted. Phi is
still on the computer finished but cannot be submitted until after a completed Lopan comes out and that book receives a find tooth edit and
further revisions. In the meanwhile I'm woring on two other projects simultaniously. So yes Lopan is coming it's just in a holding pattern at
the airport during a snowstorm. Plenty of fuel (enthusiasm) and good stuff coming. Garden of Gods will just wet the Lopan whistile and that
So what I'm hearing is that it is a firm maybe.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Are Lopan and LotD3 in development right now?

So what I'm hearing is that it is a firm maybe.

See Kevin latest weekly update for Garden of the Gods. He sounds as if he's having a blast writing that book. I understand the feeling so well.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Yes, it seems the ones he writes himself tend to get published first.
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

As Garden of the Gods races to the finish line, a few thoughts. How do gods and humans interact? In Palladium Fantasy, Dragons and Gods began to tell that story, GotG provides some in-game details that harken back to the original Defilers campaigns I played in. And it reminds me of the many real mythology books both I and Kevin have read over the years. While editing the text, I kept those books in mind as far as the way the gods were described. This book covers new ground, describing some forgotten gods, and providing more detail to others. And I think it covers that spectrum of gamers who want to play fast and deadly to those who want a more nuanced story.

Alex Marciniszyn,
Editor
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Sounds like its going to be good, looking forward to it.
Hell knight
Explorer

Unread post by Hell knight »

I am looking forward to it , all ready got a use for it going to be great.
Reagren Wright

Had a nice chat with Kevin over the weekend. Garden of the Gods is about to be sent to the printer.
We also finalized some placement of cities and locations to make sure GoG and the Lopan source
book are on the same page. The FINAL revision of the Lopan Manuscript is now in with all the GoG
alterations. Now we wait and I keep silent for a few weeks. :wink:
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Reagren Wright wrote:Had a nice chat with Kevin over the weekend. Garden of the Gods is about to be sent to the printer.
We also finalized some placement of cities and locations to make sure GoG and the Lopan source
book are on the same page. The FINAL revision of the Lopan Manuscript is now in with all the GoG
alterations. Now we wait and I keep silent for a few weeks. :wink:

Final... until the next revision! :D

Great news on both fronts! I can't wait to see them in print!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

A palladium book before Christmas, dare we wish . . .
Reagren Wright

Not likely as the book is getting assembled this week and getting sent off to the printer. But
definitely in time for my birthday and after Christmas Grab Bag.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

well my b'day is in feb so that works too :)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

It won't be in my budget til January or February anyhow.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Question: who or what was/is the Cybernaut Xar Xar? And could it be a silent partner in the "cyber-" part of Cyberknight?

Just a random thought inspired by the book intro.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

So how soon until we get pdf of GotG on pdf at Dthru?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Rogerd wrote:So how soon until we get pdf of GotG on pdf at Dthru?
Going by the weekly update/news put out by Kevin, it should be soon.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Kevin announced that it is now available as a PDF the DriveThru RPG.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Kevin announced that it is now available as a PDF the DriveThru RPG.

Greetings and Salutations. And the link:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/346506

Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Prysus wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Kevin announced that it is now available as a PDF the DriveThru RPG.

Greetings and Salutations. And the link:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/346506

Farewell and safe journeys.
Thank you, sir.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Okay having read this, and plan on doing so again.

But this is a book of missed opportunities.

The original book, Dragons and Gods was great, but this ties into my comments here. If the magic DNA can form any shape, why are most gods humanoid? There was great potential here to create a pantheon of truly interesting gods instead mythology clones which we don't need as we already have Pantheons.

It would have been better creating gods, some of various shapes, or avatars, that walk the multiverse. They could have been elder gods, progenitors of the Pantheons. And this is honestly how I would have done it.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Rogerd wrote:Okay having read this, and plan on doing so again.

The original book, Dragons and Gods was great, but this ties into my comments here. If the magic DNA can form any shape, why are most gods humanoid? There was great potential here to create a pantheon of truly interesting gods instead mythology clones which we don't need as we already have Pantheons.

It would have been better creating gods, some of various shapes, or avatars, that walk the multiverse. They could have been elder gods, progenitors of the Pantheons. And this is honestly how I would have done it.
This is kind of my feeling as well. Why are god characters and aliens invariably depicted as humanoid?
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

This is kind of my feeling as well. Why are god characters and aliens invariably depicted as humanoid?

Exactly, they could have gone a kind of Marvel elder gods route, just none are hunanoid.

Elder gods of such power that even Brahma and Zurvan are wary, or even scared of. Pergaps they could be asked to help if the old ones awoke? Perhaps they helped put some old ones down?

Edit: Perhaps the Dark from Nightbane is one such Entity. And the Light created the Guardians. Another created the Pantheons. All of a sudden we start getting this intertwined backstories.

So much opportunity here...
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

From the first edition section labeled "The Gods Themselves" under the Religion heading on page 154:
Often these gods were simply dimensional travelers just passing
through and may have stopped for moment to help some pitiful
creature in distress, to right an injustice, etc. However, time is a
strange thing to one who traverses the universe through dimensional
gateways; a moment for them may be a century in the Palladium
world. Many of these gods are long gone, never to return, but are still
worshipped and kept alive in the hearts and minds of those who
worship them. It is the mental energies created by the worshippers,
faith if you will, which keeps the dimensional gateway slightly ajar
allowing the magic energies to slip through, to be siphoned and directed
by the priests of that god. Thus, in the name of his god the priest is
able to weave spells and preform miraculous feats. In this way the
myth of the god is maintained and reinforced long after the alleged god
has died on some distant world dimensions away. Religions and
philosophies are established and developed, some small and others that
span continents.

I wouldn't mind getting an expansion on the idea of some of the gods not even being there. Which ones are long gone, and what does it say about their overall power if some of the "missing" gods are seemingly powerful in the world compared to ones that are present and active? Any that aren't present, might be being worshiped according to some imagining of a certain priest/priestess/shaman rather than how they were known at the time they initially became known and gained a following. In that circumstance, I could see the form being changed to something more easy to relate to. I mean, I could certainly see someone deciding "It sure would be easier to grow the following if Sumolok the Benevolent, God of Plentiful Harvests looked like some farmer possibly with the head of a (insert random animal here) so that people didn't see a depiction and immediately think we worship an Old One."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Rogerd wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Exactly, they could have gone a kind of Marvel elder gods route, just none are hunanoid.

Elder gods of such power that even Brahma and Zurvan are wary, or even scared of. Pergaps they could be asked to help if the old ones awoke? Perhaps they helped put some old ones down?

Edit: Perhaps the Dark from Nightbane is one such Entity. And the Light created the Guardians. Another created the Pantheons. All of a sudden we start getting this intertwined backstories.

So much opportunity here...
Yeah, I guess this is why I wind up writing so much of my own material rather than relying on the books to tell me what things are like.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”