Can Lance Be Considered a Polearm?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Can Lance Be Considered a Polearm?

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Since it's not been included on the interactive sheet. I can only finds Polearm. While in the book, it says....

Training with all types of large bladed spear like weapons, including the Glaive, Sabre Halberd, Runka, Scythe and Voulge among others.

I can only assume.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Can Lance Be Considered a Polearm?

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Since it's not been included on the interactive sheet. I can only finds Polearm. While in the book, it says....

Training with all types of large bladed spear like weapons, including the Glaive, Sabre Halberd, Runka, Scythe and Voulge among others.

I can only assume.

Greetings and Salutations. You can consider it anything you want, but in Palladium I can see two answers that can be considered official.

1: W.P. Lance is its own category. The W.P. is only available to Knights and Palladins, and provides no bonuses other than what is listed in the O.C.C. This is based on Page 60 (W.P. Lance is listed there, at least in my 3rd Printing), as well as the Knight and Palladin O.C.C. Note: Since, per this rule, it provides no bonuses other than O.C.C. abilities and is limited to only those classes, I didn't list it in the standard W.P. list because it felt like a waste and potentially more confusing. Feel free to add it as a Custom W.P. if you'd like though.

2: Page 268 has Lance listed as a Spear. If you want to use bonuses, then I recommend using the W.P. Spear if you want to stick closer to the rules. The Lance is listed (even on the weapon page) as Knight and Palladin only, so apparently only those classes can even buy one.

You are welcome to make any house rules you like, of course. But I wanted to provide as closer to canon as possible. Thank you. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

My house rules on lances:
1. Use W.P. Spear bonuses to strike and ditch the bonuses to parry and throw.
2. Lances automatically get initiative to strike on the charge against anyone without similar reach (pikes, thrown weapons, missile weapons, maybe some huge foes), allowing them to make a devastating first strike.
3. Successful strikes above 20 (with bonuses) automatically knock opponents down/unhorse mounted opponents, rendering them unable to act for the next two actions while the lancer may charge by (possibly trampling them for good measure) or stop and attack some more with another weapon.
4. If the opponent successfully parries, he/she may make one attack on the horse or rider as the lancer charges by.
5. Lance charge vs lance charge is a simultaneous attack.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

So, I took your advice & changed it W.P. Spear. on the sheet.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

SirSpamHammer wrote:So, I took your advice & changed it W.P. Spear. on the sheet.

i mean, everyone said to use the same bonuses but treat it like a separate skill......really i would use the bonuses from polearm, which better reflect the way it works and remember that lance bonuses should only work on a charge and lances would typically shatter when used.

i wonder if the fact the skill is effectively a special bonus for a few classes (which makes sense, who else could afford to train with them?) meant the skill ended up falling through the cracks?

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”