NPC Sheet - Spell Lists

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prysus
Champion

NPC Sheet - Spell Lists

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. So as some of you know, I made the Palladium Fantasy® Interactive Character Sheet a while back. When I made that, I also made a NPC Sheet. Palladium hasn't really shown much interest in it, but there was at least some request for some magic and psionics to be included. Psionics are (relatively) easy. I started on a Spell List back in April, but because I don't know if Palladium will do anything with it my dedication to it has been lacking (I don't play or run enough these days to warrant the work for my own purposes). I've recently done a major overhaul to how I handled Attributes (now providing options to select, with Average as the default) and this has gotten me back into it. This is what I have so far, but I'm wondering if there are some better methods.

* Full list of Second Edition main book spells, which can be separated by spell type (Invocation, as well as each of the four Elemental spells). While some Elemental spells overlap with Invocations, they often have a few differences (such as cost, duration, or saving throw).
* Spell level
* Duration
* Range
* P.P.E. Cost
* Saving Throw indicates Standard, None, Horror Factor or Dodge (along with target number), etc.
* Damage/Area Effect/Other, a field that has various information depending on the spell. This usually helps to give critical snippets of information without needing to look up the spell.
* Book Location (book and page number for easy reference)

Now, Palladium isn't the best for consistency, so I had to make some judgment calls and alterations as I've moved forward. I used this poll (for example) to help come up with answers I wasn't sure on. I've finished 235 of 383 spells (finished Air Warlock, but still have Earth, Fire, and Water to go) and started having some second thoughts about the way I've been doing things. So I thought I'd come here and see some other people's opinions. I will, of course, need to have a similar breakdown of how each category is broken down in the sheet itself (this way a user doesn't have to guess what I mean).

Range: I've put this into a few categories.
* Self: Works on the spell caster only.
* Touch: Works on the spell caster, or others by Touch. Also for "Immediate Area" spells and spells where the spell caster seems to be the focal point of the spell. But should I put Immediate Area (usually will have Area Effect attached to it) as a separate category, or does Touch convey this well enough?
* xx ft/miles/etc.: Anything with a range. If something says "Touch or 3 ft", I just put 3 ft. 3 ft will include Touch and Self (unless specified otherwise).

Damage/Area Effect/Other: The heading will change depending on type, but this includes how much damage an attack spell inflicts, the amount of protection from armor or wall spells, the Area Effect (often Range) of other spells, Limits (such as 100 words or some such), Heal for how much the spell heals, and other aspects. When spells have more than one, I tried to pick the one that best fits the spirit of the spell. The heading is also designed to help someone quickly figure out the main purpose of the spell (Damage, Heal, Protection, Area Effect, etc.).
* Area of Effect: I've tried to put this into Radius, whenever possible. Anything that lists "diameter" has the area cut in half to make it the radius (so, for example, 60 ft diameter becomes 30 ft). This is to help keep things consistent. When a spell simply lists "area" (without detail) I've left it as is (so, 30 ft area remains 30 ft). I'm starting to think maybe I should have gone with "area" being diameter, and halving the range, but I'm not sure on this and it would also mean going back through 235 spells. I can't say I'd look forward to that, but accuracy and consistency is important to me (to make it as easy as possible on the end user). Of course, I could also go back through everything and make them all diameter (instead of radius). Note: If none of the headings fit well, Area Effect "N/A" is the default listing.

Duration: The duration listed is for the duration of the spell (not necessarily its effects). So a spell that has permanent duration will likely read "Instant" instead (typical with Healing/Mending type spells). All spells have had their durations converted into seconds/minutes/hours/etc (ergo, there will be no "melee rounds" listed).

In addition, I eventually want to add a 2 line (or less) summary of each spell. These should contain all the necessary information to use the spell without the need to look it up (unless you want specific wording for more unorthodox usage). However, that takes a long time. I did this for the first 3 levels of Invocations, and then stopped for the remainder. I want a usable frame first, before I start worrying about the finer details. Note: I'm also not sure if the 2 line summary will work for some of the more complicated/detailed spells.

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks for your time. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Tywyll
Wanderer

Re: NPC Sheet - Spell Lists

Unread post by Tywyll »

This does sound amazing (and a heck of a lot of work!). Will it be something for purchase like the other?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Tywyll wrote:This does sound amazing (and a heck of a lot of work!). Will it be something for purchase like the other?

Greetings and Salutations. That would be my end goal, though that is largely dependent on Palladium. If they're not interested in selling the sheet and willing to grant permission, I'd also be willing to release it for free. For now, all I can do is try to make the best product possoble and see where that leads. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I have a fairly.large spreadsheet I started with info on spells
It is NOT easy with Palladiums spells since they are all so random. Radius does seem to be the best measurement. You always know how far away from the mage the effects will reach.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. So as some of you know, I made the Palladium Fantasy® Interactive Character Sheet a while back. When I made that, I also made a NPC Sheet. Palladium hasn't really shown much interest in it, but there was at least some request for some magic and psionics to be included. Psionics are (relatively) easy. I started on a Spell List back in April, but because I don't know if Palladium will do anything with it my dedication to it has been lacking (I don't play or run enough these days to warrant the work for my own purposes). I've recently done a major overhaul to how I handled Attributes (now providing options to select, with Average as the default) and this has gotten me back into it. This is what I have so far, but I'm wondering if there are some better methods.

* Full list of Second Edition main book spells, which can be separated by spell type (Invocation, as well as each of the four Elemental spells). While some Elemental spells overlap with Invocations, they often have a few differences (such as cost, duration, or saving throw).
* Spell level
* Duration
* Range
* P.P.E. Cost
* Saving Throw indicates Standard, None, Horror Factor or Dodge (along with target number), etc.
* Damage/Area Effect/Other, a field that has various information depending on the spell. This usually helps to give critical snippets of information without needing to look up the spell.
* Book Location (book and page number for easy reference)

Now, Palladium isn't the best for consistency, so I had to make some judgment calls and alterations as I've moved forward. I used this poll (for example) to help come up with answers I wasn't sure on. I've finished 235 of 383 spells (finished Air Warlock, but still have Earth, Fire, and Water to go) and started having some second thoughts about the way I've been doing things. So I thought I'd come here and see some other people's opinions. I will, of course, need to have a similar breakdown of how each category is broken down in the sheet itself (this way a user doesn't have to guess what I mean).

Range: I've put this into a few categories.
* Self: Works on the spell caster only.
* Touch: Works on the spell caster, or others by Touch. Also for "Immediate Area" spells and spells where the spell caster seems to be the focal point of the spell. But should I put Immediate Area (usually will have Area Effect attached to it) as a separate category, or does Touch convey this well enough?
* xx ft/miles/etc.: Anything with a range. If something says "Touch or 3 ft", I just put 3 ft. 3 ft will include Touch and Self (unless specified otherwise).

Damage/Area Effect/Other: The heading will change depending on type, but this includes how much damage an attack spell inflicts, the amount of protection from armor or wall spells, the Area Effect (often Range) of other spells, Limits (such as 100 words or some such), Heal for how much the spell heals, and other aspects. When spells have more than one, I tried to pick the one that best fits the spirit of the spell. The heading is also designed to help someone quickly figure out the main purpose of the spell (Damage, Heal, Protection, Area Effect, etc.).
* Area of Effect: I've tried to put this into Radius, whenever possible. Anything that lists "diameter" has the area cut in half to make it the radius (so, for example, 60 ft diameter becomes 30 ft). This is to help keep things consistent. When a spell simply lists "area" (without detail) I've left it as is (so, 30 ft area remains 30 ft). I'm starting to think maybe I should have gone with "area" being diameter, and halving the range, but I'm not sure on this and it would also mean going back through 235 spells. I can't say I'd look forward to that, but accuracy and consistency is important to me (to make it as easy as possible on the end user). Of course, I could also go back through everything and make them all diameter (instead of radius). Note: If none of the headings fit well, Area Effect "N/A" is the default listing.

Duration: The duration listed is for the duration of the spell (not necessarily its effects). So a spell that has permanent duration will likely read "Instant" instead (typical with Healing/Mending type spells). All spells have had their durations converted into seconds/minutes/hours/etc (ergo, there will be no "melee rounds" listed).

In addition, I eventually want to add a 2 line (or less) summary of each spell. These should contain all the necessary information to use the spell without the need to look it up (unless you want specific wording for more unorthodox usage). However, that takes a long time. I did this for the first 3 levels of Invocations, and then stopped for the remainder. I want a usable frame first, before I start worrying about the finer details. Note: I'm also not sure if the 2 line summary will work for some of the more complicated/detailed spells.

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks for your time. Farewell and safe journeys.

Great minds think alike! I've been working on an NPC spell list of my own for Rifts. I break them down by functional category like travel/movement, Damage, Protection, et cetera, and then sort them by level, including the same basic data for each spell that you do. My goal is to make all the basic book spells fit on a single sheet of paper so that a GM could look at a book NPC with their worthless "knows all spells level 1-XX" description and make appropriate choices for the given scenario.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Hotrod wrote:Great minds think alike! I've been working on an NPC spell list of my own for Rifts. I break them down by functional category like travel/movement, Damage, Protection, et cetera, and then sort them by level, including the same basic data for each spell that you do. My goal is to make all the basic book spells fit on a single sheet of paper so that a GM could look at a book NPC with their worthless "knows all spells level 1-XX" description and make appropriate choices for the given scenario.

Greetings and Salutations. Truth, I based some of those ideas on comments you had made in a different thread. I recall the conversation, and used what ideas I could to make it as clear and easy to use as possible for my purposes. I don't have a lot of experience with spell casters and the magic system (in about 20 years of experience, I've had 1 player select a magic user, and he only lasted about 1-3 games before he just stopped showing up). However, I do try to pay attention to issues people have for my projects in the effort to make them as useful as possible to as many people as possible.

Fitting all the main book spells on a single sheet of paper sounds ... an impressive feat. Mine will not be quite as impressive (as I'm using the same template as the one on the PF Character Sheet). The NPC Sheet is effectively pre-generated characters (NPC or otherwise). So I'd make the selections (by level only) from level 1 through 15. Then have an option to select from different types of spell list (so one version would be standard, then maybe another that's a combat mage with a lot of offensive and defensive spells, an augment mage with lots of spells designed on buffs, etc.). So the pre-gen would have a quick and easy spell list at any level, but make it easy to make a few quick changes. Then, from there, allow the user to personally select their spells using Drop Down Lists.

My main hope would be that these would be both useful in very different ways. Farewell and safe journeys.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Whiskeyjack wrote:I have a fairly.large spreadsheet I started with info on spells
It is NOT easy with Palladiums spells since they are all so random. Radius does seem to be the best measurement. You always know how far away from the mage the effects will reach.

Greetings and Salutations. I've gone back through and changed everything to radius (I did miss a few with "area" and I had been rather inconsistent with some). I think it should be more accurate now. I've finished all Invocations, Air Elemental Spells, and Earth Elemental Spells. I still have Fire and Water to go. At some point, I'll still have to go back and write-up the two line descriptions with the finer details. However, I don't view that as a current priority. Right now I want to finish the critical spell information, then I can work on the coding for the sheet. After that, everything else can get ironed out. Farewell and safe journeys.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I've finished all the Invocations and Elemental Magic (all four elements) from the main book. I've used used radius for the area effect, unless multiple dimensions are given (most common with walls, such as 8x8x4 is the full dimension). I used "area" to mean "diameter" unless specified otherwise (I saw at least two or three times where "area" was specified as "diameter" in the description, and at least once where "area" was defined as "radius" in the description, so hard to be consistent). Spells that only have an area effect listed as the range without a distance to be cast I've listed as "Touch" (which is touch/immediate area around the warlock). Note: On Change Current (Water Spell on page 239 of PF2 main book) I noted Range as "Special" since it's listed as the nearest ocean current to the Warlock. While I believe the Warlock is meant to be on the ocean for this to work, this technically means that the Warlock can be standing in the middle of the continent and still affect the nearest ocean current.

I still have Super Psionics to write-up (I finished Healing, Sensitive, and Physical a long time ago). I also have to write the two line descriptions for most spells (I've only written it for 40+ out of 383 spells, though I've written for all of the psionics I already have written up).

I'm going to start on coding next, so the information will be accessible on the NPC Sheet. I don't suspect that will take too long.I intend to have coding for both single and dual-classed Warlocks (and already have a method in mind to make that work). Then I can add in the skills for those classes. After that I'll have to actually select spells, which I think will be the hardest part for me (since I don't have a lot of experience with magic), but we'll see how it goes.

Anyways, just a quick update. Thank you for your time. Farewell and safe journeys.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”