mixed-species romances

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

mixed-species romances

Unread post by Axelmania »

Aside from the unfortunate well-known squick of Ogre males kidnapping Human females, I'm wondering what pages in any PF books we can find that discuss the social politics for/against inter-species romantic relationships, especially those between friendly species such as elf+human or human+dwarf. Obviously never dwarf+elf because 100% of elves hate 100% of dwarves and there is absolutely no chance of any cute Montagues v. Capulets chemistry going on there.

I'm assuming that the "Rifts Conversion Book" rule on "no halfbreeds" probably applies in PF (although I can't recall offhand if it was addressed) so there wouldn't be half-elves and the like as in other games...

If this were at all seen as some kind of prophylactic it begs the question if you'd have people trying to have children possibly impersonating members of other races to make it seem like there's no chance of children resulting from a tryst.

I think odds are there's bound to be some elf+dwarf married couple in one of the world books, and perhaps peppered information, but I don't know if any particular setting ever emphasized how big of an issue this might be.

I'm actually not much clear on political/religious viewpoints about this: has the moral view on "for-reproduction" vs "for-recreation" ever been explained in any societies or pantheons? Do we know of any species for whom contraceptive would be more of a taboo for others?

I'm wondering if perhaps we'd see a more negative view towards "childfree" recreational relationships in 2 possible cases:
1) low birth rate species like elves (babies are rare enough as it is)
2) oppressive fascist violent species with high fatalities like orcs (you owe your lord more soldiers/servants, your body is not your own, displease your Ogre/Troll dictator and he will boil you for soup)

In either case, I could see them looking upon inter-species relations as a similar "waste of time" as non-procreative same-species one, if either put a high value on producing a high number of new-generation members of the species.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: mixed-species romances

Unread post by kiralon »

From what I understand of palladium fantasy the only mix breed possible is ogre/human.
The rest of the races cannot interbreed.
The fact that im pretty sure elves are in brothels means mixed recreational with no chance of kids is a thing, but its not really touched on that much.
Mostly there is more current info on things like eastern territories vs wolfen empire type issues than interpersonal.

mostly I think it comes down to the pretty races look down on the ugly races, and the ugly races eat the pretty races (as in stew)
So an elf is slumming it if the are with an human, and humans are thought oddly if going out with dwarf, but likely cheered on if with an elf.

Changelings are mostly burn at the stake.
Last edited by kiralon on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

In Palladium in general, there's a few more possible cross-breeds. I wrote a little bit about 20 years ago, most of which we relatively canon

http://www.mymegaverse.org/nexx/palladium/Human.html
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

One important thing is that even Rifts Conversion Book (which had the crossbreed ban) seemed to imply it was possible for the canine races (wolfen, dog boys, and probably kankoran/coyle) to interbreed with one another.

No clarification on what children would actually be. The "treat it as one or the other" is certainly the simplest to stat out rather than designing new dice based on averages.

kiralon wrote:From what I understand of palladium fantasy the only mix breed possible is ogre/human.
The rest of the races cannot interbreed.

I probably wouldn't even call it a mix, it seems like something like Ogre seed essentially 100% ogre-izes human eggs, much like Sea Titans in Rifts. The only half+half that come to mind are mortal/god half-breeds hinted at in Dragons and Gods, although for all I know the offspring are either fully mortal are fully god, not sure. Only actual "half god" demigods I know of are in Rifts Pantheons.

kiralon wrote:The fact that im pretty sure elves are in brothels means mixed recreational with no chance of kids is a thing, but its not really touched on that much.

That or elves know how to use birth control?

kiralon wrote:Changelings are mostly burn at the stake.

Do you recall if it says anywhere about whether or not Changelings might be able to reproduce as a member of whatever species they change into?

Mark Hall wrote:In Palladium in general, there's a few more possible cross-breeds. I wrote a little bit about 20 years ago, most of which we relatively canon

http://www.mymegaverse.org/nexx/palladium/Human.html

Any version with page numbers? I was able to figure out everything but Praxians, but I imagine many others might have no clue what Rifts/Robotech books to check for others.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”