new to gaming and this game

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Waterspirit
D-Bee

new to gaming and this game

Unread post by Waterspirit »

Hi, so I love fantasy and all of the TV and movies but have avoided games, especially multiplayer games because I have no clue how to set them up, play, or interact. It says you cannot change what you build so I thought i would start here. what I really don't want to do is mess up other people's games or not figure out the fun part of it... can I get the "RPG for idiots" link or suggestion for where to start? Is reading the books prior to gaming preferable? And, just to compound all of the questions... I am a person into everything from Xena, the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter (all of those were younger), and now I like most things with mixtures of either medieval themes or elves, etc. Are some of these Palladium games more obvious? I don't mind some violence- Spartacus, The 100, Vikings, Knightfall, but total gore without too much storyline bores me. that's my saga... any guidance would be awesome. swear i'm just naive about game playing and not totally inept. :?
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: new to gaming and this game

Unread post by kiralon »

To get the gist find some pick a path books, they are a very basic form of roleplaying that you can do for yourself. Roleplaying is just telling a story with a random number generator involved to make the outcomes of various things unknown like who wins a fight, or whether a skill was successful.

It does sound like you would enjoy it though
Waterspirit
D-Bee

kiralon wrote:To get the gist find some pick a path books, they are a very basic form of roleplaying that you can do for yourself. Roleplaying is just telling a story with a random number generator involved to make the outcomes of various things unknown like who wins a fight, or whether a skill was successful.

It does sound like you would enjoy it though

Thanks so much. That helps.
Waterspirit
D-Bee

thanks so much. That helps.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

The first thing you need is an additional 1 or 2 adventurous souls. Once there, one of you needs to become the GM who will control/ guide the story. Reading the main book and any books that cover the areas you want to play should be read prior, unless you're making up your own world.
While the players create their characters and develop their backstory, the gm starts planning out the adventure. It can be a si pkenone or two session game, or a sweeping epic. The sky is the limit, unless you go past it!
You can find several youtube channels of people roleplaying to give you some ideas and inspiration, just don't get hung up on making your games flow the same as the ones you watch. Find your own style and have fun with it.
On thing to remember is not to get hung up on the rules. The gm has the final say, but in instances of rules conflict or confusion, use what seems best to you.
Waterspirit
D-Bee

Whiskeyjack wrote:The first thing you need is an additional 1 or 2 adventurous souls. Once there, one of you needs to become the GM who will control/ guide the story. Reading the main book and any books that cover the areas you want to play should be read prior, unless you're making up your own world.
While the players create their characters and develop their backstory, the gm starts planning out the adventure. It can be a si pkenone or two session game, or a sweeping epic. The sky is the limit, unless you go past it!
You can find several youtube channels of people roleplaying to give you some ideas and inspiration, just don't get hung up on making your games flow the same as the ones you watch. Find your own style and have fun with it.
On thing to remember is not to get hung up on the rules. The gm has the final say, but in instances of rules conflict or confusion, use what seems best to you.

thanks so much!
Waterspirit
D-Bee

Thanks so much for everything. I really appreciate it. I think I'll start with youtube and go from there to the books.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Welcome to the hobby!
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

welcome to the game, if I may be so bold, A good way to learn more about a game is to listen to actual plays about it. I have a podcast that should be listed in the signature that has about 120 episodes of content. It might help give you a good feel for the game.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
wizardofthenorth
D-Bee

Unread post by wizardofthenorth »

Welcome to RPGing, if are truly new, I might suggest a system other than Palladium. It is not the most beginner friendly IMO. The current version of Palladium fantasy is over 20 years old, and even then isn't a massive revision from the initial edition from 1983.

This does not make it a bad game, but does not contain any form of modern sensibilities, or easierness of use.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

wizardofthenorth wrote:Welcome to RPGing, if are truly new, I might suggest a system other than Palladium. It is not the most beginner friendly IMO. The current version of Palladium fantasy is over 20 years old, and even then isn't a massive revision from the initial edition from 1983.

This does not make it a bad game, but does not contain any form of modern sensibilities, or easierness of use.

:ok: :ok:
I have to concur with this.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

If you start with Palladium, you'll be able to handle pretty much any game out there. And the world setting is far superior to most other offerings.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Whiskeyjack wrote:If you start with Palladium, you'll be able to handle pretty much any game out there. And the world setting is far superior to most other offerings.

I heartily second this notion :lol:
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

And the world setting pretty much makes it worth it, and there are plenty of people who have home rules that make a little more sense of the madness.
I have played a fair few games out there and palladiums world is one of the better ones.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”