PFRPG characters in Rifts game

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

PFRPG characters in Rifts game

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I am in the process of creating Rifts characters for convention games and I am adding characters from other games. I already have 1 HU character done with another planned out but I wanted to add 1 or 2 from PF.

I have one, admittedly very cliché, idea.
Elf
Paladin
Magic weapons and/or armor
Riding either a real Pegasus or one of the robotic flying monsters from Rifts Black Market

Does anyone have any ideas for a Fantasy character that someone would enjoy running in Rifts?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: PFRPG characters in Rifts game

Unread post by kiralon »

Warlocks can work because of their ability to summon elementals.

Rather then an elf paladin how about a titan or a rahu man with crystal magic.

A pacifist priest with a swarm of wingtips.

A lumberjack with a wand of metamorph into tree.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I imagine any spell caster would work. There isn’t much difference between a wizard and a key line walker. Also, a mind mage could do.

-Vek
“Never trust a mind mage.”
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Veknironth wrote:Well, I imagine any spell caster would work. There isn’t much difference between a wizard and a key line walker. Also, a mind mage could do.

-Vek
“Never trust a mind mage.”

This was my old character I had from PFRPG for Rifts games. It seemed like the best one for Rifts but in the end it just ended up being a less capable Ley Line Walker people only used it if they had to. The problem is with mages, mystics, and cyber-knights Rifts already has a fantasy feel to it so creating a truly unique character that can still be fun to play in Rifts.

kiralon wrote:Warlocks can work because of their ability to summon elementals.

I have never been that impressed with the warlock, I have only had a few people run them and they almost always asked to switch to a LLW or Shifter with in a few secessions. I had thought about using a Rahu Man but I am avoiding giants for right now as I am limiting all the PCs to about 9 feet for reasons of vehicles and entry into buildings. Still a good idea but doesn't fit.

kiralon wrote:A pacifist priest with a swarm of wingtips.

This is too terrifying, but I have a friend who would play it in a heartbeat.

kiralon wrote:A lumberjack with a wand of metamorph into tree.

Well, he would be OK.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Palladium Fantasy characters in Rifts are a little weird. I'd categorize them as follows:

Classes that do well in Rifts require little equipment or modification to hold their own in the new environment. They tend to have abilities that grant them MDC protection and weapons, and/or they have abilities that aren't trivialized by technology. These include all magic classes, Mystics, Priests, and Mind Mages.

Classes that do ok in Rifts generally require some special equipment and/or additional skills to keep pace in the new setting. These include men-at-arms, merchants, and entertainer O.C.C.'s.

Classes that do poorly in Rifts tend to have their class-defining abilities become outclassed, trivialized or pointless in the new setting. These include:
Psi-Sensitives: Psi-stalkers and Dog Boys laugh at your lame detection abilities. You're on par with, like, any psychic from Psyscape.
Psi-Healers: SDC/hit point healing is easy and done with auto-heal tech kits that don't require stupid "meditation time." Psi-Healers suck in Palladium Fantasy, and they are even more worthless in Rifts.
Scholars: Having spend their lives studying history, anthropology, languages, et cetera in the world of Palladium Fantasy, they no longer live there. Unless you picked non-setting-focused skills that translate well into Rifts, your character's knowledge is now worthless.
Blacksmiths, fletchers, and other artisan O.C.C.'s are great at making items that are totally outclassed by both tech and magic.
Druids: Druid magic sucks just as badly in Rifts, but now you don't have devoted followers of your religion all over the world to bail your sorry excuse for an O.C.C. out.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

So I think I am going to start with a Priest OCC. I know I don't want it to be a human and I want to avoid any of the Greco/Roman gods but if anyone has a suggestion for race and the god to serve I would love to hear it.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Jeridu priest of Odin
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Warshield73 wrote:
Veknironth wrote:

I have never been that impressed with the warlock, I have only had a few people run them and they almost always asked to switch to a LLW or Shifter with in a few secessions. I had thought about using a Rahu Man but I am avoiding giants for right now as I am limiting all the PCs to about 9 feet for reasons of vehicles and entry into buildings. Still a good idea but doesn't fit.

Warlocks can be really cool but, like most granted/intuitive casters, they're heavily dependent on levels. A 1st level Warlock isn't that impressive; once they hit about 5th level, they start getting stout.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Mark Hall wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
Veknironth wrote:

Warlocks can be really cool but, like most granted/intuitive casters, they're heavily dependent on levels. A 1st level Warlock isn't that impressive; once they hit about 5th level, they start getting stout.

I agree, with the caveat that the ability to summon minor elementals at first level can be pretty neat.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Malefic75
Newb

Unread post by Malefic75 »

Summoners can be pretty OP in Rifts. Sacrifice some fruit and they can have elementals running around.
Long time no see...

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”