Wards and Permanence on people...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Wards and Permanence on people...

Unread post by tsh77769 »

The section in PFRPG on wards, under the permanence war, mentions that wards can be used to make a spell permanent and that they can be placed on people.

My question is if I had a fly as an eagle spell and permanence ward on a character, does that mean they would be stuck flying forever and unable to land or touch the ground? That seems unlikely as landing or touching the ground does not cancel the spell. Also, is the spell on constantly or just when it is willed? For example, if you had the invisibility spell and permanence ward on a character would they be stuck invisible forever? That would be interesting, as a curse, but not so much otherwise.

Thanks for the assist.

tsh77769
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Wards and Permanence on people...

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

tsh77769 wrote:The section in PFRPG on wards, under the permanence war, mentions that wards can be used to make a spell permanent and that they can be placed on people.

My question is if I had a fly as an eagle spell and permanence ward on a character, does that mean they would be stuck flying forever and unable to land or touch the ground? That seems unlikely as landing or touching the ground does not cancel the spell. Also, is the spell on constantly or just when it is willed? For example, if you had the invisibility spell and permanence ward on a character would they be stuck invisible forever? That would be interesting, as a curse, but not so much otherwise.

Thanks for the assist.

tsh77769

Last I checked the fly as an eagle spell doesn't force you to fly it gives you the ability to fly. As for Invisible, the spell doesn't keep you constantly invisible, it can be canceled by actions performed by the character. Now the question is after performing that action do you return to invisibility?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

tsh77769 wrote:does that mean they would be stuck flying forever and unable to land or touch the ground? That seems unlikely as landing or touching the ground does not cancel the spell.

Agreed, there's never really been any requirement when that is cast that you can't touch the ground, so you should be able to feign walking as normal.

tsh77769 wrote:Also, is the spell on constantly or just when it is willed? For example, if you had the invisibility spell and permanence ward on a character would they be stuck invisible forever? That would be interesting, as a curse, but not so much otherwise.

If you can't willingly cancel a spell (normally only the caster can do this, so if your caster friend doesn't cancel it, you're stuck invisible as long as he wants) then you shouldn't be able to willingly cancel it here.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the spell's original caster (or the diaboilst who activated the ward) might be able to cancel it.

While I can see how that's likened to a curse, it would still be pretty useful even if being unable to turn it off created inconveniences like traffic not stopping for you. You could compensate by wearing non-invisible clothing.

Zer0 Kay wrote:As for Invisible, the spell doesn't keep you constantly invisible, it can be canceled by actions performed by the character. Now the question is after performing that action do you return to invisibility?

You're probably thinking of how Invisibility: Superior (PF2p201) is cancelled by acts of aggression. Invisibility: Simple (PG2p193) isn't. We're not really sure which of the 2 spells OP is talking about.

The Condition Ward of Invisibility (PF2p129) is a third option. Since "See the Invisible" works against it fully (no -2 to hit semi-transparent ghost-like image which Invisibility Superior gives) it's probably more akin to the Simple and not Superior version.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, for Fly as the Eagle, you essentially have the option to fly but you aren't stuck flying all the time. The question is could you jump just a little bit?

For invisible, I think you're invisible all the time. That's a really rough way to go through life.

-Vek
"There are so many physics issues with invisibility."
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

So what would be some interesting wards or spells to have made permanent on a person that would not mess up their life like being stuck invisible?

For example, I'm thinking Fly as an Eagle, Swim as a Fish (either version), invulnerable to energy, and a few others.

Another specific one I was wondering about was Armor of Ithan. Would it be stuck activated 24/7? Would it keep you from being able to actually directly physically touch something with your skin since Armor of Ithan is essentially a force field? That could kill your love life for sure!

tsh77769
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, any spell that enhances or augments a character in a way that gives that character the option of using the ability would be good. Obvious spells like Superhuman strength/speed would be nice. I wonder about Fleet Feet. You'd be incredible in combat but would you die twice as fast? Would you need to eat twice as much? Could you sleep? All of the vision/detect/decipher/language spells would be helpful, as would telekinesis. What interests me most is Heal Self. Could you create some sort of Wolverine-style healing factor with that?

-Vek
"I didn't look at the Wards section so some of this might be against the rules."
Axelmania
Knight

tsh77769 wrote:Another specific one I was wondering about was Armor of Ithan. Would it be stuck activated 24/7? Would it keep you from being able to actually directly physically touch something with your skin since Armor of Ithan is essentially a force field? That could kill your love life for sure!

I don't recall anything about the AOI spell saying you didn't have the option to remove the armor or pieces of it. Nothing stopping you from pulling an Uther.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Imagine that the duration is permanent. Thats it. And permanent is permanent not cancelled at will unless the diabolist who put the ward on cancels it.

So youre invisible all the time and fly all the time.

I have to admit I dont like the idea of making spell effects permanent with wards so we have it that other condition wards are what can be made permanent.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

There's another downside to permanent Armor of Ithan: eventually it will run out of SDC, and then you have a very expensive tattoo and piece of inset jewelery.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Mark Hall wrote:There's another downside to permanent Armor of Ithan: eventually it will run out of SDC, and then you have a very expensive tattoo and piece of inset jewelery.

It self regenerates though if I recall correctly.

tsh77769
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

tsh77769 wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:There's another downside to permanent Armor of Ithan: eventually it will run out of SDC, and then you have a very expensive tattoo and piece of inset jewelery.

It self regenerates though if I recall correctly.

tsh77769

Not unless that was added after the core book.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

There's nothing explicitly forbidding Armor of Ithan from being repaired like other suits of armor that I'm aware of, although the blacksmith would probably need See the Invisible.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Now that's a good question, can you take off armour of ithan, and what happens if you cast it on someone with armour of ithan on them already, do they get a second set?
Axelmania
Knight

I remember something about being unable to stack spells somewhere but I can't recall how canonical it was.

Unless it says somewhere it can't be taken off, I don't see why not. You should be able to take off your helmet and whack someone with it, and use it as a makeshift invisibowl to gather water from the river.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”