Its been 25 years since playing 1e and..

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TheEvilDM
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Started with Fantasy & TMNT in '88.

Its been 25 years since playing 1e and..

Unread post by TheEvilDM »

I am ready to rip my hair out trying to figure out character creation. I feel like such an idiot that I can't figure it out.

Backing up a minute here.

I haven't played since I was a teen and recently found my stash of Palladium books, which had all my 1e books, my RIFTS books and special collectors book and my Heroes Unlimited revised books. I do have one 2e book which I got later on, around the 2000 mark.

So after I found all these things a month ago my group saw the books and got excited to play.

I've been going through the 1e character creation and I am finding it driving me up the wall trying to figure out things and find things.. making me wonder how I did this at 12 and 13 years old.

Reading RIFTs, I can work up a character in matter of seconds... even looking at PFRPG2e and it seems its easier to make characters.

I just feel frustrated in myself and wanted to vent about my own failure. Because I REALLY want to play 1e again.
- TheEvilDM
RailGuns & Dragons - Palladium RPGS!My Youtube Series Exploring Palladium products
Actual Plays Podcast - Can be found on all major Podcast platforms and youtube!
Beyond Earths - A Palladium Actual Play Podcast
- Season 1 DeadWinter- a Dead Reign Day 0 start
- Season 2 Heroes Unlimited Campaign!
- Season 3 Palladium Fantasy 1e (Current Season)
Hotrod
Knight

Re: Its been 25 years since playing 1e and..

Unread post by Hotrod »

The only game system I've ever seen that allows character creation in a matter of seconds is the Star Wars D6 system. That said, character creation isn't much different between editions. Choose a species, roll up your stats, choose an O.C.C., write down your skills/bonuses, make your optional skill selections, roll for psionics, and fill out the character's equipment and background info.

Is there a specific issue you're having? I haven't rolled up a 1st Edition character in a long time, but I still have it.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

And I still play it and can help out pretty quickly.

Choose race (page 3)
Roll stats (page 3)
Roll for psionics (page 125)
Pick class (Page 15)
Have High Seas and Yin Sloth jungles nearby
Take note of OCC Skills (One of them is usually a hth skill if fighter class)
Pick Elective skills (from list in OCC page + yin sloth and high seas) PG 17 main book at least. Encourage magic users to take hth non men at arms
Pick Secondary Skills (Page 20 main book + high seas and yin sloth)
Roll optionals on page 9 if you want. I don't recommend hostilities for beginner characters, and same with random dispositions and insanities.
I have starting money randomly rolled from what their social background roll was.
Encourage characters to all have a similar language so they can communicate.
Buy items
Go play.
TheEvilDM
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hotrod wrote:The only game system I've ever seen that allows character creation in a matter of seconds is the Star Wars D6 system. That said, character creation isn't much different between editions. Choose a species, roll up your stats, choose an O.C.C., write down your skills/bonuses, make your optional skill selections, roll for psionics, and fill out the character's equipment and background info.

Is there a specific issue you're having? I haven't rolled up a 1st Edition character in a long time, but I still have it.

I am getting caught up on all the little bonuses, I was designing up a Priest and wasn’t sure how to add everything up. I think it would help if I had a decent character sheet for 1e but all I find is 2e stuff or dead links. Also wasn’t sure what god to pick it felt very confusing. I remember being able to do
This many years ago...
- TheEvilDM
RailGuns & Dragons - Palladium RPGS!My Youtube Series Exploring Palladium products
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

With the skills, on the skills page (Page 23 for elective and 28 for secondary) It has the tables for each of the skills, with level 1 being the base.
For example
Medical for a priest gets a bonus of 10% and at level 1 is 28%\32% if you check page 23 for the medical skill
The first percentile is Diagnosing, the second percentile number is actually healing or correctly applying the right poultice.
With 10% bonus you have to roll under 38% to diagnose and roll under 42% to fix.
The bonuses are cumulative, so if you get +2% from IQ you would need under 40% and under 44% to diagnose as fix.
Weapon Proficiency bonuses are not cumulative with themselves but are with other bonuses, as the weapon profiency table just shows you what the bonus is at each level, but if you get +1 to dodge, parry and strike from PP, +1 strike from hth soldier and +1 strike from wp large sword you get +3 to strike.

The gods start at page 160 in the palladium 1st ed main book, and the limitation is you can only choose spells your god knows, Odin is a common choice as he knows all priest spells, same with epim, kym nark mar and a few others. Second ed fixed that, so generally I say if you just worship the pantheon you can pick any priest spell of your level or lower from the wizard spell list..
TheEvilDM
Megaversal® Ambassador

kiralon wrote:With the skills, on the skills page (Page 23 for elective and 28 for secondary) It has the tables for each of the skills, with level 1 being the base.
For example
Medical for a priest gets a bonus of 10% and at level 1 is 28%\32% if you check page 23 for the medical skill
The first percentile is Diagnosing, the second percentile number is actually healing or correctly applying the right poultice.
With 10% bonus you have to roll under 38% to diagnose and roll under 42% to fix.
The bonuses are cumulative, so if you get +2% from IQ you would need under 40% and under 44% to diagnose as fix.
Weapon Proficiency bonuses are not cumulative with themselves but are with other bonuses, as the weapon profiency table just shows you what the bonus is at each level, but if you get +1 to dodge, parry and strike from PP, +1 strike from hth soldier and +1 strike from wp large sword you get +3 to strike.

The gods start at page 160 in the palladium 1st ed main book, and the limitation is you can only choose spells your god knows, Odin is a common choice as he knows all priest spells, same with epim, kym nark mar and a few others. Second ed fixed that, so generally I say if you just worship the pantheon you can pick any priest spell of your level or lower from the wizard spell list..

Thank you for clearing things up. this helps!
- TheEvilDM

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”