Human Languages

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Human Languages

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I am creating a PFRPG character to use in Rifts convention games (I already have a Robotech and Heroes Unlimited characters) and I was having a problem with languages as I don't really play fantasy that often and I never run it.

Some of the languages in PFRPG, like Elven, are the same as in Rifts but what about the Human languages? Is there any canon material that says something like "Western Human is the same as English" or anything like that?

I ask because in Phase World one of the Trade languages is Wolfen, almost Identical to that in PFRPG, and another is the same as American in Rifts so I thought maybe there was a comparison somewhere.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Human Languages

Unread post by The Beast »

None of the human languages in PFRPG are similar to other languages in either the Megaverse or real life. IIRC, this answer was given in one of the Q&As from an early Rifter.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

The Beast wrote:None of the human languages in PFRPG are similar to other languages in either the Megaverse or real life. IIRC, this answer was given in one of the Q&As from an early Rifter.

Yep. Wolfen and American/English have Trade Language equivalents, Dragonese/Elven are spoken everywhere (except possibly HU2, Nightbane, and BTS settings, depending on whether there are dragons in your game), Japanese and Oni are equivalent, but the 4 human languages of the Palladium World are unique.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

Oh, and Greek is spoken in any dimension where there is an Atlantean presence.
So a true Megaversal Explorer would likely have one or more of the following languages:
American/English/Trade Four
Wolfen/Trade Two (I think...I don't have the book handy)
Dragonese/Elven
Japanese/Oni
Greek (Atlantean)
With those languages, you'll be able to find someone with a common language anywhere you go.
Since this is a Fantasy character you're making, you'll be most interested in Wolfen and Dragonese/Elven if you want to have languages that translate to other dimensions.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

The Beast wrote:None of the human languages in PFRPG are similar to other languages in either the Megaverse or real life. IIRC, this answer was given in one of the Q&As from an early Rifter.

Rifter #15, pg. 18 seems to cover this. Thanks for the lead. I could have sworn that I read something about the languages being similar to some Earth languages but I guess not.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

There's nothing preventing you from making languages similar in your games. You could always make Nothern similar to Norse languages, Western similar to a middle Eastern language etc. Just give a penalty for someone that speaks the equivalent language due to changes over time.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Whiskeyjack wrote:There's nothing preventing you from making languages similar in your games. You could always make Nothern similar to Norse languages, Western similar to a middle Eastern language etc. Just give a penalty for someone that speaks the equivalent language due to changes over time.

If I was still running a big, long term Palladium campaign I probably would. In fact I think I might have since I really remember some comparisons between Earth languages and Human PF languages. Since this is not found in the books I probably made it up.

As for this character, it's really not a problem. I am leaning towards making the character an elf or wolfen anyway just to really give the fantasy feel to the character and no matter which race I use it will have dragonese. I can also give the character American as one of there Rifts skills in CB1.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”