Super TK speed

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Super TK speed

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

During our last session, my son wanted to use his Super TK to make himself fly and wanted to know how fast he could move. I had no answer for him. Seeings as how he can inflict 1D4x10 damage per 100 pounds that he hits with using it, I'm assuming that whatever you move has significant speed.
Anyone ever figure out a speed? Maybe using crash rules from one of the other books?
Veknironth
Hero

Re: Super TK speed

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I thought it was the general consensus that you couldn't use TK to fly. It might be canon somewhere, I'll let Prysus handle that. But I envision it as you need to somehow brace yourself to use the power. You aren't actually doing so, but it's a kind of bracing. It's like a strong person not being able to throw him or herself. What you might be able to do is have a flying suit constructed and use TK on that, and have that pull you along.

-Vek
"I guess you could look at the damage for falling, and cross reference that with [(a*T)(a*T)]/2
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well Speed = Distance / Time

So Speed = 100ft per level / (duration of a single action or attack in seconds) = ft/sec. IF using regular TK instead of TK: Super it would be 60ft instead of 100ft per level.

I do believe Vek. is correct there is a stipulation about TK and moving oneself somewhere. Though a psychic could get around it by riding the object they are TKing (ISP cost would include their weight to move the object)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

This was in a Rifter article about Telekinesis and Ectoplasm that I did. Let me dig it up.

I don't remember what issue it appeared in, but I set the base speed for regular TK as 12. I converted the "pounds" to "PS" for TK, and had each point of PS above the minimum needed add 2 to the speed.

Super TK was base 25, and each unused point was 5 (it was also Supernatural PS)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

ShadowLogan wrote:Well Speed = Distance / Time

So Speed = 100ft per level / (duration of a single action or attack in seconds) = ft/sec. IF using regular TK instead of TK: Super it would be 60ft instead of 100ft per level.

I do believe Vek. is correct there is a stipulation about TK and moving oneself somewhere. Though a psychic could get around it by riding the object they are TKing (ISP cost would include their weight to move the object)

That's just the range. It doesn't state anywhere that you can move an object that distance in a set amount of time.

It doesn't really make sense that you can't lift yourself, but can lift your armour and therefore yourself with it. I'm willing to allow him to move himself since it can't be maintained for long. He's started using the power to pull people out of the way of attacks by large creatures which I thought was kind of neat. He wanted to try to parry an attack by a sea serpent, but the size of the head would have made it too expensive.He also wanted to try and pull out its eye, but I decided that that was too much control, and way too much power to put into that ability.
Library Ogre

I really wish I knew which issue the article was in.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
TriOpticon
D-Bee

Unread post by TriOpticon »

Rifter 44 page 45?
Library Ogre

Maybe. FIIK.

All Palladium Articles
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Whiskeyjack wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:Well Speed = Distance / Time

That's just the range. It doesn't state anywhere that you can move an object that distance in a set amount of time.

It doesn't really make sense that you can't lift yourself, but can lift your armour and therefore yourself with it. I'm willing to allow him to move himself since it can't be maintained for long. He's started using the power to pull people out of the way of attacks by large creatures which I thought was kind of neat. He wanted to try to parry an attack by a sea serpent, but the size of the head would have made it too expensive.He also wanted to try and pull out its eye, but I decided that that was too much control, and way too much power to put into that ability.

I agree it doesn't make sense you can't lift yourself on the surface, but the range does not mention self. The psychic ability of "Float" is actually a more efficient way (ISP wise) to Telekinetic ally fly, if you can figure out a means of propulsion (TK already has you covered by floating)

I know that is the range, but that is arguably the farthest you could move an object in one action IMHO.
Library Ogre

As a note: I don't see a problem with using TK with sufficient lift to fly. That's part of why I put speed into the article.

All Palladium Articles

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”