Wizards not being to cast in Hand to hand combat

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Can your Wizards and Priests Cast and fight in HTH

Wizards and Priests can fight and cast spells.
71%
Wizards and Priests can't fight and cast spells.
18%
What are you talking about?
12%

Total votes: 17

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Wizards not being to cast in Hand to hand combat

Unread post by kiralon »

Does that allow 2 action spells to be cast in 1 action round/pass ?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

kiralon wrote:Does that allow 2 action spells to be cast in 1 action round/pass ?

In my games?
If you have enough actions to get 2 APM in one pass, then yes I will allow for 'speed casting' of a spell.
I justify this since getting those APM tends to require that a mage be high level... and thus have done a lot of practice.

If you can get 13+ APM (using speed magic usually) you are moving so fast that you can cast a 3 action spell in one pass.

As I see it this isn't really all that different than having a mage who has more APM at the end of the round casting a series of spells in the last few seconds of the round "because I have actions left"

It doesn't tend to be disruptive because of my (in)famous "Gander Rule" which means that my players tend to not abuse things lest they in turn face that abuse.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Makes sense, cheers.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

It works very well and makes for smooth game play.
I've presented it to a few people and now have two other GMs using this system, as well as using it myself.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”