Magic Talisman sharing

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Magic Talisman sharing

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I didn’t see any posts about this so I’ll make my own. Can you share the spell effects of a talisman that casts a spell? If you had a medallion that casts Fly as the Eagle, can you use it to cast that spell on someone else? If not, can you use it to cast the spell on yourself, and then hand the medallion to someone else and then that person casts the spell on themselves? Or, must you be wearing the item while the spell is in effect?

-Vek
“Magic doesn’t seem to obey rules.”
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Magic Talisman sharing

Unread post by kiralon »

I play as casts spell on wearer.
Spell ends if the medallion is removed
As that one is twice a day handing it to someone else can use one of the twice a day, but that medallion cannot cast that more than twice a day.
Reset time is 1 second after midnight
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The sharing of a spell effect from a talisman is complicated since you have to define how "sharing" is occurring.

Sharing Spell Effect when the talisman is activated between multiple people I would say No, even if the spell normally allows "self-and/or # by touch". This is because the spell isn't really being cast by you at the time*, but rather released from it's stasis. The only exceptions I could see to this is if the spell was Area of Effect or offensive in nature (ie attack, but that isn't "sharing" per say).

Sharing the talisman between multiple people. Yes, though the item doesn't (no pun intended) magically reset its charges because it gets passed, they reset normally for the talisman. There is nothing AFAIK that indicates the thing will bond to a user.

Talismans don't need to be worn; they can be used by holding onto them IMHO.

*In this way the Talisman is like a Magic Scroll IMHO, the spell is cast (PPE spent) and put into stasis by combining it with a Magic Scroll until released. I do think there is a slight difference in how you cast "self" and "others by touch" and "self and others by touch" that is learned when you learn the spell and the caster has to decide which release branch of the spell to follow, which will be imparted to the spell storage option.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Reading the talisman description in the book, I think you can cast the spell as if you were casting the spell yourself, with all the usual allowances and limitations of that spell. Same as if you read a scroll. So, if the spell you cast can normally be cast on others, then yes, it can be cast on others.

You don't need to wear the talisman, because a talisman can be non-wearable items up to two feet across. Examples it gives include coin, small statue, and hand-held symbol.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I didn’t see any posts about this so I’ll make my own. Can you share the spell effects of a talisman that casts a spell? If you had a medallion that casts Fly as the Eagle, can you use it to cast that spell on someone else? If not, can you use it to cast the spell on yourself, and then hand the medallion to someone else and then that person casts the spell on themselves? Or, must you be wearing the item while the spell is in effect?

-Vek
“Magic doesn’t seem to obey rules.”

Soldier of Od has it right. It uses the spell as if the User had cast it. So you cast it with the user able to define the targeting paramters within the spells usual limits.

Consider it has to work this way, because Talisman can also be used for offensive spells. What use would a Talisman of Call Lightning be if it could only target the user with the spell?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Soldier of Od wrote:Reading the talisman description in the book, I think you can cast the spell as if you were casting the spell yourself, with all the usual allowances and limitations of that spell. Same as if you read a scroll. So, if the spell you cast can normally be cast on others, then yes, it can be cast on others.

You don't need to wear the talisman, because a talisman can be non-wearable items up to two feet across. Examples it gives include coin, small statue, and hand-held symbol.

This would be my take. You have to hold the Talisman, but it is just a stored casting of a given spell. Otherwise, a talisman for something like Call Lightning would be a very bad idea.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It depends on the spell in the Talisman or how the magic object described as a talisman is defined.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Talisman is an interesting spell. It's very costly to cast, but once you have one, you can effectively increase your PPE base as high as your time permits. The spell storage can also be useful, especially if it can be done in a single action (this isn't clear from the description, but it makes sense to me that it would be).
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Hotrod wrote:snip... (this isn't clear from the description, but it makes sense to me that it would be).

Using the Text of the spell...

Create blank Talisman: use the 500 PPE cost
Charge Talisman: 50 PPE as listed in the text
--Spell Talisman: along with the charging PPE the spell PPE for making a spell Talisman. Up to three charges can be imbued into the Talisman at one time.
--Storage Talisman: along with the charging PPE, the PPE to be stored in the talisman. Up to 50 PPE in the 1st time charging.

Recharging a Talisman: 50 PPE along with the Spell PPE or PPE to be stored
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Franko Tyrador
D-Bee

Unread post by Franko Tyrador »

IMO, the talisman (or whatever magic items) allow you to cast the spell that it has imprinted on it. so, per the spell description, that's what i would go by. self, other, enemy.... whatever the spell description says.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”