Skill values different between materials

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirLitimus
D-Bee

Skill values different between materials

Unread post by SirLitimus »

Say we have the Cryptography skill. In the Ultimate Edition, the values would be 25% + 5%/level.
In Ninjas & Superspies, the values are listed as 30% + 5%/level.

I can go down the line if I wanted to.

So the question is, which ones are the most accurate to use?
"Science officer, identify this strange alien race we are seeing for the first time. What? They are Humans?!? ALL GUNNERS, OPEN FIRE!!!"
NMI
OLD ONE

Re: Skill values different between materials

Unread post by NMI »

SirLitimus wrote:Say we have the Cryptography skill. In the Ultimate Edition, the values would be 25% + 5%/level.

Use the one that is printed for the setting you are running.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

SirLitimus wrote:Say we have the Cryptography skill. In the Ultimate Edition, the values would be 25% + 5%/level.

Different education systems for each game setting, so there is different values. I believe Chaos Earth goes into this.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

To go along with the other answers, many of the earlier editions of books (HUr, Robotech, etc.) have had their skill percentages superseded by the most recent skill lists. For example, HU2 is pretty much in line with most of the later games, but I believe Rifts Unlimited & the Robotech: Shadow Chronicles games have the most up-to-date skill percentages.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I won't make the list of differences, but it would be neat to see. Does anyone have an example of a difference in a skill across settings of more than 15%?
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

Curbludgeon wrote:I won't make the list of differences, but it would be neat to see. Does anyone have an example of a difference in a skill across settings of more than 15%?

Pilot Automobile:
  • N&SS: 90%+3%/lvl automatic transmission, 82%+4%/lvl manual transmission, -10% penalty if taken as a Secondary skill. Pilot Professional Race Car is a separate skill, 60%+5%/lvl.
  • HU Revised/Robotech (1st): 80%+4%/lvl (both).
  • Macross II/Rifts: 60%+2%/lvl (both).
  • ATB (2nd): 70%+4%/lvl (both).

Let's not even get started about Language skills, though. Robotech didn't even start off with it as a selectable skill -- believe it was one of the later sourcebooks that had it. In the rest, Literacy was originally included in the Language skill. Rifts & Macross II first separated the skills out. Most of the later settings also separate them out, but you'll also see the difference in how non-Rifts settings say the ability to both speak & write your native language is automatic (whereas only speaking is automatic in Rifts).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The RUE skill is the right one to use in a Rifts Game That uses RUE as it's canon.
The N&S skill is the right one to use in a N&S Game.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”