Confused: attacks/powers that cost multiple actions

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Viridian Sun
D-Bee

Confused: attacks/powers that cost multiple actions

Unread post by Viridian Sun »

When it comes to palladium and attacks that cost multiple actions, unless it says "must use at start of the melee" like jump kick, i have a hard time comprehending the execution in combat. I just don't see it well written/addressed in the examples.

To clarify: Lets say there are 2 characters, A and B. A has initiative. Each has 4 actions. If A makes a power attack (costing 2 actions), per the rules, is the extra action A is spending coming off his total, or is it taking his immediate next action?

A throws a punch, B takes an action, A is recovering?
Or A throws a punch, B takes an action, A takes an action?

Does the answer apply the same way to spells or powers that don't indicate the need to be done as the first action?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Confused: attacks/powers that cost multiple actions

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There are two ways to do this...

A: (more things to keep track of way) example: if a char throws a power punch (costs 2 APM) the char's previous or next attack is skipped because the char is ether 'building up' or 'recovering'.

B: (the more lazy way) the player records that they used 2 APM and the run out of attacks sooner.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Viridian Sun
D-Bee

Unread post by Viridian Sun »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There are two ways to do this...

A: (more things to keep track of way) example: if a char throws a power punch (costs 2 APM) the char's previous or next attack is skipped because the char is ether 'building up' or 'recovering'.

B: (the more lazy way) the player records that they used 2 APM and the run out of attacks sooner.

Thanks for the quick reply. Turns out, while running some other web searches for some stuff im doing for macros on roll20, i finally (accidentally) came across the following page inside this forum:
https://www.palladiumbooks.com/forums/v ... 4&t=128204

There's some really nice/solid thought into this, especially midway down.

I Suspect i'll incorporate the "wind-up" followed by the execution, like you would with spells, which would allow for more strategic thinking/risk of interruption by knockdowns/etc with the payoff of more damage.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There are two ways to do this...

I prefer the lazy way.
Not only am I sometimes lazy, but also spending 2-3 seconds in mid-combat winding up for a punch of jump kick isn't something that happens in real combat, so it rubs me the wrong way.
;)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

If the "multiple actions" situation is one that involves set up and then delivery (aiming, called shots, high level spellcasting), then I have the effect come at the end of the actions. For things like Power Punches, however, I generally prefer the effect come first, then the next action is recovery/reset.

Example 1: Bob takes aim (action 1), draws a bead on the orc's weapon hand (action 2), and let's loose his arrow (action 3, resolve with dice)

Example 2: Bob puts extra oomph into his haymaker (action 1, resolve with dice as a Power Punch), and takes a moment to reset his stance in preparation for the next attack (action 2, cannot initiate but can still use auto defense options)
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

there are some things where it should be that the extra actions be taken before the strike. The 'one life-one kill' series of skills/powers/ma technique are written that the char has to take the extra time before the strike.

Then also if the char is setting up for a multiple target missile volley the char should have to spend the action before making the strike. (eg. in media: the opening fight in 'Clash of the Bionoids' (dub'ed)/'Love, Do You Remember' anime movie. (From the Macross family of TV series & movies.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

It's definitely situational, but as long as you're consistent with your methodology it should be fine regardless of how you handle it.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Father Goose wrote:For things like Power Punches, however, I generally prefer the effect come first, then the next action is recovery/reset.
Example 2: Bob puts extra oomph into his haymaker (action 1, resolve with dice as a Power Punch), and takes a moment to reset his stance in preparation for the next attack (action 2, cannot initiate but can still use auto defense options)

pg 18/19 from https://palladiumbooks.com/images/Docum ... Eratta.pdf
    (the blow lands on the second action)

This in many cases makes power punches mostly good for surprise attacks, since you only get one of them.

One thing I'm also not entirely sure of is how to work with "simultaneous attacks".

If you are the counter-attacker using a simultaneous attack: would that mean 2 turns worth of being unable to defend against foe before your punch hits?

If you are the attacker using a power punch, would this mean your target can't actually use a simultaneous attack against you until your SECOND action because the attack hasn't actually happened yet? Or does he get TWO against you? What happens if he simultaneously attacks against your first action and uses the 2nd to just be elsewhere so your blow can't land?

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”