Can scrolls of Create Magic Scroll be created and/or used?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Can scrolls of Create Magic Scroll be created and/or used?

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I don't see anything preventing this in the rulebooks, but reckon there might be something in a Rifter FAQ. The description states "the mage can magically make the words for casting a magic spell appear on paper as a scroll. The only real limitation (other than needing sufficient P.P. E.) is that the mage must be able to read and write."

I'm interested in perhaps playing a 4th level Tao Shih Immortalist whom switches OCC to another practitioner of magic, spends a couple of months making enough calligraphy to power initial vajra creation, then makes a bunch of auto-scribe scrolls to have other casters (or their dominated Id Alter Egos) pad out their spellbook. In that the spell Create Magic Scroll costs 100 PPE + the cost of the spell to be inscibed, each auto-scribe would cost 200+ to make, in addition to any PPE that might need to be provided to the caster.

I haven't done the math to estimate how long it would take to have enough vajra to generate the tens of thousands of PPE this would ultimately require, but at a 98% chance to learn a written spell, provided the character can find literate casters and accepting their personal PPE is a joke, this seems like a fun build for learning most any spell.
Last edited by Curbludgeon on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Scroll of Create Magic Scroll

Unread post by Axelmania »

I don't see any problem with it, you should be able to do a Scroll of Create Talisman or Scroll of Create Golem too.

Unless of course you're limited to making scrolls of non-ritual spells and can only cast create scroll itself as a ritual.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

...4th level Tao Shih Immortalist whom switches OCC to another practitioner of magic.

Tao Shih Immortalists are PCCs. As such they would have to follow the rules in H&N and MC for PCCs changing classes.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero

How about that the question of this thread within the question and answer forum is about rules citations vis-à-vis a scroll of Create Magic Scroll? Can we bad mouth you about that? Regardless, given the deprecation of the P.C.C. term over Palladium's publishing history and the OP's mention of a Rifts spell (a setting which classifies as O.C.C.s previously-labeled psychic R.C.C.s which other settings labeled P.C.C.s, ipso facto making the above claim irrelevant) the multiversal nature of what sort of campaign in which said character might become involved obviates spuriously motivated gainsaying even if it was germane, which it ain't.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Thou, the idea presented in the OP sounds more like an idea for a NPC then a player character.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Curbludgeon
Hero

Again, what is potentially done in a given game with a scroll of Create Magic Scroll is independent of whether or not that scroll is viable within the rules, which is the question being asked in this thread within the question and answer forum. A LLW or other practitioner of magic could do the exact same thing, albeit with a lower chance of success of learning a spell per scroll. Alternatively, A Tao Shih preparing for broader arcane studies upon becoming immortal (which MC explicitly states is a thing that happens) could bankroll another character creating and collecting those scrolls, so that they might learn spells they are at the moment unable to cast. It's also worth noting that Taoist Immortals are repeatedly referred to in Rifts WB24 China 1-Yama Kings.
Axelmania
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:don't bad mouth me for pointing out that the PF rules for changing classes only cover OCCs, and not RCC nor PCCs.

PCCs and psychic RCCs are totally a kind of OCC.

Mystic China pg 207 "Experience Levels per OCC" (includes two RCCs and 4 PCCs)

Rifts:
    Mutants in Oribt 13 for Burster
    Atlantis 16 and Phase World 43 for Bleeder
    Coalition Wars 1 (Sedition) 148 for Ghost/Slayer/Bleeder, 150 for Byurster./Nullifier/Druid/Nega, 154 for Zapper
    SOT 3 p 45 for Tech
    Canada138 for Druid/Slayer
    DB5p36 for Burster
    DB5p37 also for Slayer/Bleeder

HU2p190
    players can substitute or add any of the Psionic Occupational Character Classics (O.C.C.s) from other Palladium RPGs for the natural or latent psionic.
    Rifts probably offers the largest number of suitable characters, including the Psi-Slinger, Psi- Ghost, Psi-Nullifier and many others.

Between the Shadows pg 140
    (Astral Exploration) "Common OCCS: Astral lords"
    (Dream Wars) "Common OCCs: all the dream PCCs"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

When an immortalit gets to be a immortal he sort of ....ahhh....to paraphrase the book...becomes a NPC.

If there are changes to the changing OCCrules in the new PF book then I might buy it to conferm the change. Otherwise there is no reason for me not to bow to peer pressure to change my stance away from what is stated in the canon text.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Curbludgeon
Hero

Re: Can scrolls of Create Magic Scroll be created and/or use

Q&A Forum Rules wrote:Only Game related questions and Rules Clarifications are to go in here.
Any new Topic other than that will get summarily moved and/or deleted.
On topic replies are okay, because we want you the gamers, G.M.s and rules lawyers out there to help these folks out.
I have edited the name of this thread so as to be in accordance with the forum rules. I note that posts regarding other subjects, such as the applicability of either the changing O.C.C. rules referenced in multiple sources or the dual O.C.C. rules found in The Cutting Floor are not on topic, and recommend people wishing to belabor an unrelated point either begin a separate thread, or at least change their stance regarding this impropriety.

Axelmania, that's a nice list. I'm glad you took the time to compile it.
Axelmania
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:When an immortalit gets to be a immortal he sort of ....ahhh....to paraphrase the book...becomes a NPC.
I think that's just if you want to permanently join the tao.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”