Board index » Across the Megaverse® » The Rifter® Forum

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:47 am

Knight

rise ... rise ... rise ... SHOOT FOR THE HEAD!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:36 am

Monk

It's not that old Josh. It was a legitimate resurrection. I finally made it back to it. Life had been most interesting.

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:00 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Hello,

I've actually got quite a few ideas for the Pacific North West, specifically Vancouver Island (An Island Republic of relative small size with LARGE ambitions.), Water Point Preserve (Mostly dealing with the Modern Indian city located on the coast.), and the Queen Charlotte Islands (Strictly traditionalist Haida - and their Viking-like culture.) I intend for a World Book followed by a Sourcebook dealing with this area in great detail.

I haven't really given much thought towards Alaska though, but I believe it is the site of a New Navy Naval Base, some of the Inuit Preserves I *THINK* are located there too - but I'm not positive. I'm a little rusty, and don't ever recall our characters ever venturing that far to the North and West.

Regards,

Edward A. May

SirTenzan
----------
Citizen of Minnesota, Land of Sky Blue Waters
United States of America
------------------------

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:12 am

Monk

I've been to your website SirTenzen! Of course I like your article in Rifter # 33 too.

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:26 am

D-Bee

I would like two add my two cr to the discussion. I'm Yupik Inuit from Alaska, and visited Anchorage last summer. I would love to see a Rifter article or World Book on Alaska. I have a few thoughts and observations that may add to the discussion:

1. The history of Alaska taught in US schools is the non-Native version of the history. In the 1800s Russia tried to establish military bases in Alaska as a prelude to settlement and resource extraction. All three times they built a wooden fortress. Then the ships sailed back to Russia in the fall, and when they returned in the spring there was no trace of the bases. The Alaska Natives recognized that letting outsiders build a military base was a bad idea. That part gets left out of most history books, but gets mentioned in a 1985 Federal report on the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act that gives an overview of the history of Alaska.

2. As mentioned earlier in the thread, folks who live in Alaska are very independent and very frontierish. If there are wild anmals in a city in the lower 48, you can call Animal Control or another city or state governent agency to take care of it. In a town in Alaska, if there are wolves on the outskirts of town folks will grab their rifles and shoot at the wolves. Wolves are smart, they'll run at the sound of a gunshot. Folks in Alaska would be well-suited to adapt to a civilization-ending catastrophe.

3. Along those lines, the state government mostly only cares about Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks. The salmon industry basically takes care of itself without a lot of help from the government, the tourism industry basically takes care of itself without a lot of help from the government. The oil industry gets a bit of help and oversight from the state government, but not a lot. There is a saying "that government is best which governs least." Alaska's state government must be in the running for governing least, and the government could survive a catastrophe without changing much. When you map out what happened after Chaos Earth began just after the cataclysm, Alaska might fare pretty well.

4. Alaska is very remote, as mentioned before in this thread. You get a fair number of folks leaving their previous lives behind when they move to Alaska, and that includes folks who are not in trouble. Some folks are running from trouble in their past, some folks want a new start with less taxes and less government oversight. And a fair number of corporate executives and politicans own cabins to go hunting and fishing in the Bristol Bay/Cook Inlet part of Alaska. A Rifts verison of Alaska would include descendents of business executives along with descendents of Alaska Natives and descendents of the frontierish loners most people think of when they think of Alaska.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:52 pm

D-Bee

I looked up the Rifter submission guidelines, it looks like they have not been updated lately. Where can I find submission guidelines for electronic submissions? The guidelines I found said you had to submit a disc copy and a physical paper copy, hopefully they have submission guidelines for submitting a pdf.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am

Adventurer

YupikInuit wrote:
I looked up the Rifter submission guidelines, it looks like they have not been updated lately. Where can I find submission guidelines for electronic submissions? The guidelines I found said you had to submit a disc copy and a physical paper copy, hopefully they have submission guidelines for submitting a pdf.

The Rifter is on a semi-permanent hiatus, so I wouldn't waste your time at the moment. Sorry to break the news to you :(

Unread postPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:47 pm

Monk

And I dont see a point in finishing my submission for a world book since Greg D's two books shown at POH 2018 haven't even seen mention as a coming soon. :(

It just takes too long between submission and print.

BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid

Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech

Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus

The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)