Board index » Across the Megaverse® » The Rifter® Forum

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:37 pm

D-Bee

I brought this up on the Forums, asking if somewhere Alaska is described, and it apparently hasn't been.

Would a Rifter article dealing with Alaska be out of line? Indeed, as was suggested in the thread, a sourcebook for the Pacific Northwest would be a good way to round out Rifts' United States sourcebooks and maybe add a 'return to Frontier days' element to the Rifts World. I'm a longtime Alaskan resident and I think a Rifter article expanding on 'what's up there' in Alaska has tremendous potential; Alaska is gigantic in area, has a great deal of resources, and it's a very important link between Russia and the US (and Canada for that matter).

Just off the top of my head, Rifts Alaska could be a very fulfilling area for explorers, frontiersmen, and 'new pilgrims' from the wars across the US. The Pacific Northwest itself could be an amazing new frontier of those fleeing to find new living space (refugees from Tolkeen? A reaction to the expanding Coalition States?) It would be an interesting land, a 'new pioneers' land like the early days of the US, and an alternative to the New West as a land for colonists and frontiersmen who prefer the woods and mountains to the plains and deserts further south.

Other than posting it here, where would one go about making a suggestion like this?

- Quote from a particularly Mercenary Rifts group

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:43 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
If you want to write it, do it. I think an article on Rifts Alaska or Rifts Northwest North America would be fantastic.

If you're wanting someone else to write it... well, putting this out here will get some interest.

All Palladium Articles
Two Tales of Tellene

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:01 pm

Voice of the Gateway

Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Alaska isn't as great a spot to go as it may seem. Even without knowing details about the place itself, there are four obsticals. Xiticix and the demon lands of calgary, the xion in BC, the dangerous creatures in the pacific ocean, and the god knows what in the north west territories. Not to say it can't be done as the Tundra Rangers have a way, but for most laymen and the huddled masses, that's not really a good way to go. Most would head towards the rockies if anything.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:37 am

Monk

I personally think it has great potential. The tribes there could add a depth that other books have. The legendary creatures you could add in would be quite bit of depth to the overall Rifts world! And as you pointed out elsewhere it's resource rich!

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:42 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Rifts Alaska would definately be a big order. Personally, I've been researching it for a while and trying to get the hook I need to get some good material and a good angle for Rifts and Chaos Earth. I've even overlayed a Rifts map on top of the regular map to see the difference in the coast lines and geological features. Alaska is a big region with tons of terrain that can be very harsh. It's a big challenge. But, having never lived or visited there (and I envy you because I'd love to visit :D ), I think you've got a huge advantage over me.

It sounds like you have some good ideas that you're willing to tackle. I've been researching and gathering material for the Bering Strait on both continents mostly. The rest of Alaska is huge. If you can give us some insight, that would be awsome. Heck, maybe the frontier style is because Alaska is so difficult to get to as Prince Artemis pointed out.

So far I've placed a group of people called the Kezel up there in Alaska for Rifts (the article was universal for all magical settings). The article is in Rifter 42 and is called Supernatural Leatherworking article. But that's about the only mention of Alaska in there. This article was inspired by the frontier days and the trapping trade combined with the tribe way of life. It just incorporated the new supernatural materials to capture and use.

If you'd like to co-op an article or coordinate between our individual articles, I'd be glad to do that. Even if we don't, could I ask you questions about Alaska anyway? But it's up to you what you want to do. My Bering Strait article is still in the infant design state.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Knight

Just remember that there are Native American Preserves in Alaska and another in Washington (Water Point Preserve). Plus as mentioned there is also the Cyber-Centaur city of Ixion as well.

It seems quite a few folks will begin talking about the Pacific Northwest and not realize that there are already established canon groups in the area.

Still, Alaska is a big place and there could be room for more than one group placed there.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:23 pm

D-Bee

I'd be happy to write something up for an article, but I suspect I suffer from something a lot of long-time Palladium players suffer from- the "man I feel arrogant telling these guys I'm a writer of their caliber!" syndrome.

I'd love to do something like this- the sheer area involved is staggering, something even I as a long-time resident really hadn't appreciated. I did a study of it to prove a point to a friend, here are the statistics:

Alaska: Land Area: 571,951 Square Miles.

The number was just too large for me to really picture, so I looked for a comparison:

Land area of Great Britain (including islands) is 244,820 square miles.

So, I did the math, and was faced with the fact that the State of Alaska is 2.3 times larger in land area than the entirety of Great Britain. (My first response was something along the lines of 'Egad.' This state is gigantic.)

The room for just about anything you could want is huge, in my opinion- the sheer land involved could have high-tech survivors, Alaskan Native groups living by the old ways (with Magic now), connections to Canada, the list goes on. Also, keep in mind that the Rifts world is in the future even before the Time of the Rifts, so while Alaska's current population isn't large, by the time things went haywire Alaska could easily have had ten times the population of today.

One thing that really helps is the existence of NEMA, frankly. By tying together Canada, the United States, and Mexico in a paramilitary alliance, you have a force which would ironically look for areas not heavily populated by other services for bases. Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho- all of them would be guaranteed to have *some* NEMA presence, to one degree or another. Alaska in and of itself would offer NEMA as much space as they wanted for pilot training under rough conditions, Arctic and forest survival, mountaineering, and even rought terrain for robot and Drone testing (from a military standpoint, you can't beat telling a Drone "go from here to Chicken, Alaska, by the shortest route" when it comes to testing your AI's ability to defeat rough terrain. And yes, there is a town in Alaska named Chicken.)

Another factor that often gets overlooked about Alaska is that Alaska is one of the last 'wilderness railroad' states. The Alaska Railroad routinely deals with avalanches, herds of Caribou on the tracks, earthquakes, permafrost shifting, you name it- and even the Great Cataclysm wouldn't obliterate (completely) the rail system throughout Alaska. Heck, most rail maintenance vehicles are trucks with crank-down rail wheels at the front and back so the trucks can just ride the rails where there aren't roads. (In fairness, a lot of states have heavy railroad activity, and have a lot of experience with rough terrain- but I'd stack Alaska against any of them for sheer length of track being maintained in the middle of nowhere for decades without major incidents or wrecks.) Alaska even has some old- but maintained for historical purposes- coal and oil-fired engines, some of which have giant 'snowblowers' on the front to clear tracks. Human ingenuity would almost guarantee that after the cataclysm the railroads would be one of the earliest and easiest systems of long-range travel to be reactivated, and Alaska has plenty of coal to keep a modest system of contact and support (even over long distances) viable. Add in techno-wizardy...the mind boggles.

One of the things I really thought would be sensible (and would advance the Rifts Earth world) was something that occurred to me as I was writing up my first question on the Forums, when someone mentioned the Pacific Northwest.

The recent conquests of the Coalition States has resulted in a large displaced population- and a pretty large number of those who weren't directly involved, but can see the writing on the wall. Similar (though not exact comparisons) pressures were major contributors to the number of explorers, settlers, and colonists who populated the Pacific Northwest in early America, and I had this image of the 'New Settlers' (refugees from Tokeen, outcasts from Ishpeming unhappy with their Coalition ties) starting a new flood of settlers taming the (mostly) unknown Pacific Northwest, beyond the current reach of the Coalition (or so it would seem to them).

I just love the idea of a new Frontier, similar- but markedly unique in its own right- to the lands of Rifts New West. The trappers and hunters, mountain men, wild-eyed explorers and rough and ready traders willing to travel the dangerous miles to open new markets and grubstake settlers who want to make a go of it in the wilderness.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:47 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

actually thats a neat idea, but just to play devils advocate, and thus help point out the biggest hurdles you'll need to address...

A: most of the Tolkeenite refugees are currently in Lyn-Syrrl Skycastles, and show no desire to leave, being city-dwellers first and formost.

B: Alaska and the pacific northwest is a long way away from the great plains, where the Skycastles currently are. it is also a much different enviroment than Minnesota, which may put off those willing to homestead, and at the very least make it that much harder to survive.

C: in order to get to the pacific northwest and alaska, you have to pass over/through three of the most dangerous areas in north america: The Rockie mountains, the Calgary Monster Kingdom, or Mexico.

that said, there are a few points in favor of the idea:

1: the skycastles are temporary. they will only last a couple years. the lyn-syrrl know this, the tolkeenites don't care. eventually they will have to settle somewhere.

2: the skycastles are mobile. you could in theory navigate them across the mountains and drop off the entire cityload of refugees. presumably plenty of supplies and gear would be collected before such an undertaking, routed through places like arzno or the colorado baronies to prevent the CS from finding out.

3: the pacific coast, being far away from the coalition, would be a semi-safe place for a "new tolkeen" to be built, although itm ight have it's own troubles.*

*i actually have a list for a currently on-hiatus write up of a west coast worldbook. including one rifter article i sent in for a nation in oregon...

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:26 am

Monk

People could always work together and produce a product that brings together many ideas. You just need to figure out who needs to work on it. Right now there are at least two on this thread Deacon. You and Zor_Prime1. I'm not sure if GB2098 is too busy. Youi'd have to ask him. But you two could start bouncing your ideas off each other and use the other ideas people have suggested. And you could assemble a great Rifter article, if not a worldbook.

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:36 pm

Knight

At one time there was quite a few of us working on a West Coast project to be hosted as a netbook. That's been a few years ago now.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

I agree that you could combine effort but without communication and a central figure to turn in the work it would be just another open source D20 book that really doesn't flow. Who would be that editor?

My Blog and My Other Blog

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:12 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
At one time there was quite a few of us working on a West Coast project to be hosted as a netbook. That's been a few years ago now.

yeah. i think my Oregon protectorate was the only bit of that that actually got sent in. and oddly, i had that before we started TFNP. although you guys were a big help in pointing out all the bugs and problems in it..

most of the list of things i have for the west coast came out of those discussions, i dropped anything that wasn't my idea, sadly. there were some neat concepts being thrown about.

but the haunted forests and prehistoric mammals/birds survived... 8)

and as much as i'd love to rewrite some of the problem i found in my protectorate (there are some things in there i ask myself "what was i thinking?"), but i've already got a project i really should be working on, that i've procrastinated too often on already...

* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

yeah. i think my Oregon protectorate was the only bit of that that actually got sent in. and oddly, i had that before we started TFNP. although you guys were a big help in pointing out all the bugs and problems in it..

Yeah I never finished my write-up for Waterpoint Preserve, and as far as I know you are the only one that sent anything in from all that.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:18 pm

D-Bee

I pm'd Zor_Prime, I'd be happy to work with him on a collaboration. As it is, I could certainly write things up, but I'm shaky on what to do with it to see if Palladium would want it. Don't want to do the 'random unsolicited manuscript' thing.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:44 pm

I'd actually pitched a PNW world book series idea a while back and got no response. Of course with the current backlog of products awaiting funding for the go-ahead we're talking years out anyway.

Had some similar ideas to what's being brought up here, plus a few entuirely different. Also thought Tolkeen refugees and a culture-clash with the rural "locals", but the Cloud City factor limits that...or at least delays implementation as some of the Tolkies wear out their welcome or get sick of living in the clouds. No reason a party might not still seek that "great horizon".

It was to include Waterpoint Preserve and Fort Alaska plus alot of other things.

The parts that stuck out for me for the area geolographically were:

a) remoteness and isolation, particularly interior Alaska/Yukon with the Yukon valley well protected behind very rugged mountain ranges

b) the temperate and resource-rich nature of the coastal areas from Kodiak down through NoCal, but the vulnerability to ocean attack

c) the volcanic potential of the Aleutians

d) the relative proximity to Calgary, though shielded by the Rockies and the centaurs

e) the proximity to Siberia

This resulted in a strange situation that brought in potential links to Russia, Canada, Calgary, and Underseas. I'd envisioned a moderate tech confederacy of villages in the interior that lived in peaceful isolation, a beleagured coastline defended by the Native American powers, and potential nastiness that threatened the peaceful isolation from nasties in the Ocean (LotD, Horune, etc.), nasties from Calgary, nasties from the far north threatening Fort Alaska (I considered having them retreat south since the fort can theoretically move), and nasties from the west via a particularly nasty exiled Russian Warlord (I'd originally envisioned a "Necro-Vampire Gestapo" kingdom that ruled the long nights of the winter, but frackin' 30 Days of Night beat me to it! :x ).

I'd also envisioned a great Warlock & Elemental haven in the Aleutians that could be a total wild card.

Of course I never got a response, so I went on to other things. Happy to asist if others care to take up the torch. If anyone is serious about doing it and wants advice (or even collabaration) drop me a PM or email.

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:26 pm

D-Bee

Ironically, a lot of what I could see for Alaska has examples in many of the existing supplements, which could really help in the process- aside from a number of unique situations due to the area, some of the basics have been covered (and covered well) in other books and would need little adaptation.

1. Dinsaur Swamp
I read that book some time ago, and it stuck in my mind. The material on subsistence hunting and fishing, the notes on 'back to nature' survivors, all of it was extremely on point and could apply to the Pacific Northwest almost verbatim (climate changes would need to be made, of course.) I'd posit a lack of significant 'mutant Tribes' and of course very few Dinosaurs, but the wildlife would be equally dangerous and at the same time a tremendous resource.

2. Rifts Russia
Beautiful material on cold-weather survival and adaptations of weapons and armor for same, plus it shows how paramilitary groups can survive and even to an extent prosper even under worse conditions than Alaska. (I don't picture Alaska having suffered the same unending Winter Russia did.)

3. Rifts Canada
More material on cold-weather survival, plus it's right next door- even mentions Tundra Rangers being in Alaska. Also a great resource on possible survivors and how military bases can survive the conditions and form bases for post-apocalypse groups to prosper.

4. Rifts Free Quebec
Same as Rifts Canada, plus- and I mean no offense to any of my Canadian friends- the motivation of "dang it, if the Canadians could pull it off, so can Alaskans!" :wink:

I agree, a somewhat contained 'Vampire mini-kingdom' would be an interesting idea, well worth putting in- though the lack of human resources and (the flip-side to Thirty Days of Night) is the time period of extremely long sunlight would keep it necessarily small.

I definitely think a PNW supplement is both doable and needed at some point (understanding the workload on the people at Palladium) because I think it's something that will complete, or nearly complete, the template of Rifts America for players and GM's to expand on.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:56 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

Quote:
2. Rifts Russia
Beautiful material on cold-weather survival and adaptations of weapons and armor for same, plus it shows how paramilitary groups can survive and even to an extent prosper even under worse conditions than Alaska. (I don't picture Alaska having suffered the same unending Winter Russia did.)

actually, it probably did. the russian long winter was basically a volcanically induced ice age. all the ash and suplhides in the atmosphere creating a global cooling effect, which tipped the scales into a little ice age. the entire planet would suffer it. russia, scandinavia, alaska, and canada would merely feel the brunt of it, as decreased temps combine with the natural weather patterns to create years with cold winters, cool summers, and fairly high precipitation. while the massive ice sheets of the last major ice age probably didn't show up, the effects are likely to be similar, if not greater, than the effects of the little ice age, a period of colder weather that started after the Medieval maximum and that the earth only exited in the mid 1800's, roughly a century and a half ago.

on another note, i keep seeing two discussions here. while this debate started with Alaska, it seems to have expanded to include The Pacific North west. now it seems ot me that this is a [b]huge[/i] area to cover. and that it might be served better to be broken into two regions of focus.

first, Alaska, British Columbia, and the Northwest Territories. perhaps as a kind of "Rifts Canada II", as Rifts Canada focused mostly on the eastern part of canada. (i apologise to all the alaskans here on the boards for lumping you in with the canadians, but from an orginizational approach it simlifies things. no offense intended to all the canadians on the boards for lumping you in with us silly americans either.. :lol: )

the second regional focus would be Washington, Oregon, California, and the Baja Region. a "RIFTS: Pacific Coast", that covers the american far west, that isolated area behind the barrier mountains (rockies).

'canada II' would have Fort Alaska and the City of Ixion to cover in addition to the Tundra Rangers and anything new, while Pacific coast would have to deal with Water Point Preserve and Valley Preserve, not to mention the simvan and psi-stalker war as well as anything new in it.

the two have different climates, and thus ecosystems, with the areas of Washington/ southern B.C. being a sort of "blending" area where stufff from both show up. while canada II would cover a greater land area, it's an area with lower population density even today, and thus would likely have a more thinly spread out population, so the two would actualyl cover about the same amount of material...

both are a good location for frontier elements, but each would have a regional flair not seen in the other.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:44 pm

D-Bee

Wellll.....

Organizationally, I understand the point- it is indeed a huge area- but I don't see Alaska working in 'Canada II'.

While Alaska and Canada have many similarities...the differences are, honestly, huge. The culture is significantly different, the people are very different in crucial ways, and...no offense intended toward anyone...I'm seeing a trend here toward an "Alaska- Part of Canada" idea. Certainly, the Tundra Rangers have a presence, but by the same token, it's not Canada. Any surviving bases would be US Military or NEMA, and Alaskans have a *very* fierce pride in being Alaskans. (Partly because you'd be amazed how many people think Alaska and Canada are the same place.)

For example, Alaska has the highest ratio of firearms stores to people (per capita) than anywhere else in the world, as of the last time I checked. Alaska is one of the few states where a Concealed Carry Permit is not required, and private gun ownership is more or less expected and normal. Canada is far more restrictive (and it works for them, don't get me wrong) but that's a completely incomprehensible idea to most Alaskans. Heck, we had a State Representative busted for owning fully automatic weapons and a functional mortar...

I'm not by any means trying to do a 'my State is better than Canada' rant, I'm just saying- Alaskans are Survivors. Fiercely proud survivors. Much of the state is still so wild, Alaskans have to be, and are proud of it. (Heavily-armed survivors, in point of fact...)

In short, while I certainly am not claiming Alaska to be the US version of Free Quebec, with ranks of shiny powered armor as far as the eye can see, I also don't want Alaska to be even further confused as a part of Canada, except more backwards and underpopulated, if you see what I mean.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:56 am

Rifts® Trivia Master

on the gripping hand, Canada and the United States were part of one big alliance, so any military bases in both will by NAA or it's disaster response group NEMA. the 'us military' and 'canadian military' only existed as a sub-catagory of the overall military command, and NEMA was a new unified command. thus the bases of both alaska and canada would have the same equipment and weapons, and be operating together.

second, the mass die off due to the cataclysm's enviromental upheavals and the societal collapse, followed by the century of ice age ensure that both alaska and north/western canada are "Vacancy: Occupants wanted" until reletively late in the 2nd dark ages. any society that remains is going to be either A) native american or B) the descendants the few survivors or from immigrants. thus any culture up there will be new, with perhaps a touch of what came before. the cultural differances we have today don't apply.

third, if alaskans are as survival minded as you claim (can't say myself, never been up there), it is very likely that the repopulation on north/western canada will be by alaskan survivors, as currently (and probably for the next century), north western canada is still a reletively sparely populated area.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:03 am

Dungeon Crawler

Deacon posted an idea earlier about Alaska having lots of hydroponics during the Golden Age. If that were true, they might have a very different reaction and higher survival rate to the cataclysm's environmental upheavals. Maybe geodomes?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:31 am

Rifts® Trivia Master

well, it might, but a quick look at the map shows most of the big Alaskan communities are coastal, which means they tidal wave chow. and the rest are going to have major supplies issues with the collapse of society, being so far from the center of modern society. not just food, but spare parts, medicines, ect. and Alaska isn't exactly an industrial powerhouse, although it does have a decent amount of raw materials (albiet often untapped or inefficent to access). so unless there are some major restructuring of the global economy, it is unlikely alaska will have great factories to fall back on (like Germany did) or arcologies (like Chi-town).

in fact, it is likely that survivors will head to military bases, much liek the tundra rangers did, and that those facilities will become the centers for alaskan or canadian post-cataclysm civilization. at least until the spare parts run out....or the demons get them...

heck, perhaps it's the alaskan communities that keep the Tundra rangers going. the TR's trading manufactured goods from their super-fort factory to the alaskans in exchange for food and raw materials...

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:26 pm

D-Bee

Actually, Fairbanks would be a prime location for contained habitats and experimental (today, might be 'standard' in the future) hydroponics farms. Fairbanks is a large city smack in the middle of the State, it's the site of several military installations and the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, which actually has quite a few farming projects. Indeed, the campus of UAF is built on old underground facilities of an (ahem ahem) undetermined nature, which would be perfect for experimental facilities and shelters. Indeed, if Fairbanks has any issues it is the extreme cold in winter, but as noted- with nuclear reactors the size of a spare tire, that's not hard to defeat.

That doesn't count the vast oil-production facilities in the Arctic, which I don't think were as badly hit by tidal activity (which swept mainly West-East as opposed to nearer the poles) And an abundance of Interior villages, towns and military installations.

Indeed, Anchorage, the major city, is actually a decent amount above sea level for the most part, with lower areas about 80' down in a valley (for things like the Port of Anchorage, etc.) Granted, that wouldn't necessarily matter for things like 200' tidal waves, but topographically Anchorage is spread out enough and the military bases are inland enough that it likely wouldn't be a wasteland devoid of life. The Turnagain arm and many of the port cities- Seward, Homer, Kodiak Island, Juneau (the capitol) would most likely have been heavily damaged or wiped out, but much the same happened during the 1964 earthquake as well, and the towns were rebuilt.

Again, I don't argue that there wouldn't be huge loss of life, but at the same time, it might not be as bad as it was in more densely populated areas. Add in that at the time of the Rifts Alaska would be one of the few states with open land available for commerical and military expansion, and the fact that nuclear plants being easily available makes weather and cold far easier to deal with, and there could easily have been a great deal more mining and production in Alaska than there is today.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:01 am

Dungeon Crawler

A common complaint about Rifts is it has lost the post-apocalyptic feel and has too much civilization. So while you may want to create population centers around hydroponic and/or geodesic facilities, many readers may prefer lots of emptiness. Of course, it would be hard to run an adventure in the environment of an Alaska winter. Some ways to get around that would be to create abandoned, but protected, areas that would offer adventure for a gaming group while maintaining the feeling of devastation, and also emphasize that Alaska isn't frozen year-round. Maybe you could come up with some reasons (magic, tech, unexplained, or otherwise) that parts of it escape the winter; a mysterious secluded valley(s) or similar that could act as a refuge from the inhospitable winter.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:19 pm

Knight

Location: Throne Room, Mephisto's Palace, 1 Mephisto Way, Dyval 736282. Now visiting Prince Albert, SK.
Has anyone considered the effects that the Lord of the Deep and his minions might have on the few stalwart survivors on the coast? Fishing after all would probably be the most likely source of food and gear (carapace armor from King Crabs possibly?) for most people especially in the long cold winters where traditional hunting may not be adequate enough. Then there might be mutant bears, weird "things" that get randomly rifted in, and some like ice demons and ice elementals that would simply enjoy and thrive in these environments. I could see the small nomadic camps with keen survival instincts and makeshift weaponry and equipment being the norm of the day, not any large settlements (although maybe not Juneau and Ankorage); Fairbanks is a possibility as it may be far enough away from the shoreline to not have suffered terribly during the Great Cataclysm.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:15 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

well, in regards to the LotD, the squid-o-doom himself is three thousand plus miles away in the south pacific (challenger deep), and probably doesn't leave tht area much. his reacher's can get to alaska, but other than grabbing some whales, i doubt they show up often.

cults of the deep might be a problem, but probably not as big of one as say, washignton, oregon, or california region. frankly, i doubt alaska is populated enough to be able to support much CotD activity. though it's always an option.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:43 pm

Knight

Location: Throne Room, Mephisto's Palace, 1 Mephisto Way, Dyval 736282. Now visiting Prince Albert, SK.
glitterboy2098 wrote:
well, in regards to the LotD, the squid-o-doom himself is three thousand plus miles away in the south pacific (challenger deep), and probably doesn't leave tht area much. his reacher's can get to alaska, but other than grabbing some whales, i doubt they show up often.

cults of the deep might be a problem, but probably not as big of one as say, washignton, oregon, or california region. frankly, i doubt alaska is populated enough to be able to support much CotD activity. though it's always an option.

His Reachers of the Deep would be a huge menace for a largely coastal area, hunting the fish and crab that the fishers are trying to catch and sinking boats with relative impunity.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:28 am

Rifts® Trivia Master

except the LotD has what, 8 tentacles? to cover how many millions of cubic miles of ocean?

is there some particular reason the reachers would menace alaskan waters more often than say, the coasts of japan, coasts of texas, coasts of england, coasts of germany, or the coasts of austrialia...where there are substantially more people in boats?

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:30 am

Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:
except the LotD has what, 8 tentacles? to cover how many millions of cubic miles of ocean?

is there some particular reason the reachers would menace alaskan waters more often than say, the coasts of japan, coasts of texas, coasts of england, coasts of germany, or the coasts of austrialia...where there are substantially more people in boats?

Heck no...actually that would be a cool table though...to randomly determine what reachers were where and in what condition they were in.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:41 pm

Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
glitterboy2098 wrote:

Because from Challenger Deep he can't reach Texas, England, or Germany?

All Palladium Articles
Two Tales of Tellene

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:04 pm

D-Bee

Ironically, this does illustrate pretty well how the area can be integrated with existing items and NPC's, and wouldn't need to be a supplement with eighty-three different new weapons (which are more or less like existing weapons) plus one super-powered RCC with magickal and psionic powers the likes of which would cause Kevin Seimbeda to wake in the night screaming that it felt as if millions of lives had cried out...then been suddenly silenced.

One of the ideas we had been kicking around was connections to Rifts Russia, and I definitely wanted to see about a link-up to the New Navy (the Aleutian islands have a number of US Navy outposts, which would be perfect mid-ocean resupply points and recon bases for New Navy groups) and other links to existing materials. I and the other people excited about the project have no objection to bringing in new items and ideas, but there's just so much good stuff out there already you could practically never run out of equipment or OCC's to adapt to the setting.

(*MY* idea for having every outdoorsman in Alaska having an ATL-7 as a personal sidearm was voted down, sadly. Some people just don't appreciate art :lol: )

That being said, there's tremendous room for everything under the sun in the Pacific Northwest- the military bases, large population centers for possible survivors, even weird 'hippy' communes of Mystics in Oregon; the joy of the Rifts universe is that it's so open and imaginative.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:35 am

Dungeon Crawler

If they ever do a Rifts Alaska book they should have Were-Polar Bears! That would be AWESOME!!! Maybe a nomadic tribe of them that hunts in the wilderness and only comes into town to buy soda pop? ;)

People who reply with only *bump* in the message should be shot!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:34 am

Knight

You could rifted in a alien/Fantasy city on the coast.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 pm

D-Bee

Heh...I was talking about this project with a Canadian friend, and I joked "well, a town could be Rifted from Canada to Alaska, but the problem is they'd probably not notice it until someone mentioned that the Lune isn't common currency and nobody uses the Metric system."

I guess in a sense what I wanted for Rifts Alaska was, for want of a better term, part of the 'American Values' that you see in the New West- a proud identity, fierce independence, but also a "welcome to Alaska, don't care where you came from, pull your weight and you'll be treated like a neighbor" attitude. Canada has that to a degree, in Rifts Earth, and it really strikes a chord.

One theme that I think would be very interesting for the Pacific Northwest is a 'New Frontier' style- a sort of make a new place in the world, aren't as racially intolerant or caring of where you came from so long as you make yourself a member of the community attitude that would be a polar opposite to the intolerance of the Coalition States.

Certainly, you'd have all the same factions and whatnot (it's people, after all) and by no means would it be Utopia, but it would also be a place far enough from the expansionist Coalition that it would be a good mix of ideas and ways that would encourage a 'live and let live' attitude and sense of community, and encourage a less (for want of a better word) 'polarized' population. I could see communities with a 'whatever works' attitude toward magic and technology, much like the early settlers in history were more accepting (in general) of new concepts than more insular communities.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

Mark Hall wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

Because from Challenger Deep he can't reach Texas, England, or Germany?

except for the fact that WB7 says the reachers can get ot any part of the oceans...seriously, check the little "can be found in" map thing under the entry. nearly the entire ocean is blacked out.

Deacon, i think your absolutely correct, but i would give some advice.
too much of a "welcome, we're all friends here" attitude makes for a rather dull setting, as there is little reason for conflict.

what i would suggest is that if you go with the "westward migration" of peoples from the domain of man, that those newcomers carrry with them the paranoia and militant attitude that let them survive in the east.

likewise i'd have the xenophobia and aggression of the locals be 'underground'. secret societies and such where people who dislike "those aliens" and such can come together and vent their frustrations, perhaps even become havens for people who would fit right in in the CS. (not exactly KKK type here, i'm thinking more along the lines of the baldnobber's.)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Adventurer

i for one as aplyer would love to see an alaska rifter article or drool book.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:29 am

Monk

WOW. You get busy with RL for a few weeks and come back! All I can say is WOW! You guys have a lot of ideas on the table!

HH....FIE

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:17 pm

And remember: as per D-Bees of NA Kraks are common to Alaska. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:42 am

Monk

I have to reread that book someday. Thank you for the reminder.

HH....FIE

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:47 pm

Dungeon Crawler

All I can say is I'd love to see this as a Rifter article series that could later be collected & expanded into a worldbook.I'd buy the issues that had it as well as the ones dealing w/ the PNW.

After I get a copy of WoR I plan on writing up a Kingdom (I've mentioned in other related threads) to be the base of a future RIFTS campaign I want to run.So any meaty articles dealing w/ Alaska & the PNW would be very welcomed.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:37 am

Monk

You are quite correct it does have a lot of potential that could start off as a Rifter article and expand later into a full blown Worldbook. I'd also love to run and or play in a campaign in this setting.

HH....FIE

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:41 am

Wanderer

Quote:
If you'd like to co-op an article or coordinate between our individual articles, I'd be glad to do that. Even if we don't, could I ask you questions about Alaska anyway? But it's up to you what you want to do. My Bering Strait article is still in the infant design state.

As someone who lived in alaska i would be very interested in this project. i lived up there for over 25 years and i was involved in the tourism industry for a while and, as my wife is actually a real eskimo, i also knowa lot about the cultures and mythologies and folklores up there.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:50 pm

Wanderer

Quote:
Just remember that there are Native American Preserves in Alaska

actually there are no native american preserves in alaska. the eskimo people own their land, out right.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:58 pm

thaddius wrote:
Quote:
Just remember that there are Native American Preserves in Alaska

actually there are no native american preserves in alaska. the eskimo people own their land, out right.

He means "Preserves" ala Rifts Spirit West. Specifically he means Fort Alaska Preserve which IIRC is Inuit run and on a "floating fortress" locked in the arctic ice (I've assumed in the north off of Barrow or Dead Horse or so).

Could the floating fortress perhaps be...this?

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

i saw it as something related ot that. This. or some variation on it.

which in turn is a grander version of this current concept.

some pics of various proposed styles

IIRC, the eskimo base thing from WB15 was a mobile, submersible, base.......oh krutz. maybe they have an uncomplete Ticonderoga class.....

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:36 am

Good find, GB! :ok:

Actually, they could expand it rather easily with Pykrete, "a mixture of sea water and woodpulp which frozen together [is] tougher than steel and [will] neither melt nor sink".

See Project Habakkuk from WWII.

Ironically, Habakkuk sounds like an inuit word! It's actually a biblical reference (see link).

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:07 am

Monk

It would be pretty neat to expand on that. Whee is the frozen fortress mentioned in the Spirit West?

HH....FIE

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:48 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Fort Alaska is mentioned on page 208 of Spirit West. As far as I know, it's the best description of the fort.

Deacon, I'll send you a PM or an email to get back in touch with you on this. I'm sorry. I've been busy so I haven't been able to coordinate with you beyond what I've sent so far.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:08 am

Champion

Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
Don't forget, there's also a FedEx hub in Anchorage. :D

Mega-Damage Delivery Service, when it absolutely has to be there overnight.

I'm just sayin'...

:lol:

"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:42 am

Monk

Maybe after civilazation is reestablished. That is unless someone found their facilities fairly undamaged and able to get them up and running with minimum effort.

HH....FIE

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:26 am

Palladin

Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.
Don't forget that via canon sources, the rockies have changed and are by all accounts a different mountain range than they were before the coming of Rifts. Not just shifting due to tectonic shift, but compleatly new mountains, much larger and wilder than the ones we have currently.

That and supposedly "Noone knows what's on the other side" Of them.

It's been purposefully put 'off limits' for so long one wonders if there's not purposeful plans for them (( A world book)) that just hasn't seen the light of day.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...