Idea I have for an article.

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Idea I have for an article.

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

I have an idea for an article for the Rifts and Fantasy settings that I'd like to see if anyone is interested in.

It's about demon/monster-hide leatherworking (mainly but not limited for armor). This trade is held secret by nomadic tribes in both settings. They take and can make leather items from the monster or demon skins. Now the cool part about this (and the reason for the trade secret) is that they can magically imbue these items if so commissioned by the players. The magic in these items will allow the leather:
--to heal using P.P.E.
--to have some of the natural abilities of the creature (like chameleon or natural AR)
--may also include features (such as claws or spines) from the original creatures.

They'd definitely be magic items (though the tribes will sell non-magic leather items too). The intent of the article is to be flexible enough to let the requestor design his own leather item(s) out of the hide that they catch to their liking (within specific parameters).

In order to commission such items, the payment must include the hide of the monster or demon that they would like, plus some other items to help with the magic. And they'd have to do it in a reasonable enough time frame to make sure the items are still "fresh". I think these requirements, on top of the payment of an action of good will for the tribe, will make the article fun. At the same time, leaving the GM to be as lenient or difficult as s/he sees fit.

"A super durable wallet? Sure no problem. I have a wide selection over here. Pick your color. Now a super durable wallet that won't open for anyone but the owner and will heal itself if you get shot in the butt? That will cost you a lot extra."

Any feedback?
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I think your potential article has a great deal of potential! I think it is worth pursuing. You could give examples like your wallet for things that is available to purchase. And you could set aside some rules for people to come up with custom items you haven't thought about at the time you were writting the article. Definately write this article!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Sounds great! I say go for it.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

Unread post by Tags »

No chaps?!
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
Aramanthus
Monk

Yeah no kidding! I suppose you might want to include a new OCC something like the Crocodile hunter.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Well the OCC with that sort of feel to it. Sorry if I offended anyone with that preivious name of the potential OCC suggestion from my previous post.

HH....FIE
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

I'm not necessarily contemplating a new O.C.C. The nomadic tribes are meant to be NPC's only. I don't intend on giving any player character the ability to make these special items though a GM may allow them to learn the trade.

I may or may not include some new skills like trapping. I don't want to make the article too big and describe how to capture magic creatures and such. That's up to the creativity and resources of the player group. This will make these types of items more valuable. I'm sure a GM could always cook up an NPC to help out for the adventure.

Thanks for the feedback! It's a new resolution to get this written.
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
Aramanthus
Monk

Those sort of skills should be created and fleshed out to augment the whole idea of yours.

HH....FIE

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”