The Rifter® #39

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

The Rifter® #39

Unread post by Tags »

I picked my copy up today... The pics are nice, but the lay out disapointed me. I prefer the way the the first swimsuit issue was done. I've got mixed feelings about the stats, lv 11 hottie is amusing however... I don;t think the stats actualy add much. Just my opinion, still hoping they do a third anyway. ;>
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Re: The Rifter® #39

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Tags wrote:I picked my copy up today... The pics are nice, but the lay out disapointed me. I prefer the way the the first swimsuit issue was done. I've got mixed feelings about the stats, lv 11 hottie is amusing however... I don;t think the stats actualy add much. Just my opinion, still hoping they do a third anyway. ;>

How is the layout any different than any other Rifter? And how is it a negative attaching gaming material in a RPG sourcebook? :?
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

:-?

"I prefer the way the the first swimsuit issue was done."

I am comparing the two "swimsuit" issues." Not just "any other Rifter" as you suggest.

The first "Swim suit" issue emphasized the beauty of Rifts females. This "Swim suit" issue did not accomplish that as well as the first one did. Giving th "pinups" stats seems frivolous. The space used for that could have been put to better use.
rebis
Wanderer

Unread post by rebis »

I really like this swimsuit issue, great artwork with useful gaming material. The only thing that I feel that could of really helped this issue more was to include a Femme Fatale O.C.C. and perhaps some hook, line and sinker adventure with each lady.
Check out my artwork at http://rebis.deviantart.com/

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. - Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others. -Hasidic Saying
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Well seeing that having stats attached to the females in this swimsuit Rifter has been announced for several months, why did you pick it up if you thought it was going to be frivolous?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

rebis wrote:I really like this swimsuit issue, great artwork with useful gaming material. The only thing that I feel that could of really helped this issue more was to include a Femme Fatale O.C.C. and perhaps some hook, line and sinker adventure with each lady.

My lady had adventure hooks. :D
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

so let me get this straight, the pin-up Beat box has a PB of 11?
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Modify it! Whatever you feel her PB is. I know its higher than 11! :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

rat_bastard wrote:so let me get this straight, the pin-up Beat box has a PB of 11?

Eh, human average is 9, that hair was awful. Sounds fair to me. ;)
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

P.B. is kind of a hard attribute to figure out.

So hard in fact that when I tried to elaborate on this point that I found it difficult to do so.

~ Josh
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:P.B. is kind of a hard attribute to figure out.

So hard in fact that when I tried to elaborate on this point that I found it difficult to do so.

~ Josh

I just think your brain is still rattled.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Aramanthus
Monk

Sometimes you just have to fudge the dice roll for some NPCs.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Marrowlight wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:P.B. is kind of a hard attribute to figure out.

~ Josh

I just think your brain is still rattled.

:lol:

Possibly.

It was a nasty fall.

~ Josh
Marrowlight
Knight

It's one of the few things I wish Palladium was more in line with D&D over....the concept of penalties and/or bonuses scaling across the range of stats and not just kicking in at 16+.

Josh Sinsapaugh

Marrowlight wrote:It's one of the few things I wish Palladium was more in line with D&D over....the concept of penalties and/or bonuses scaling across the range of stats and not just kicking in at 16+.

Well, since RUE, Rifts has penalties for low attributes.

That's only Rifts though.

~ Josh
Marrowlight
Knight

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:It's one of the few things I wish Palladium was more in line with D&D over....the concept of penalties and/or bonuses scaling across the range of stats and not just kicking in at 16+.

~ Josh

They've gotta be super low though right? It isn't an across the board shift. A guy who has a PP of 13 is no different than one with a PP of 9, etc, yes?

Josh Sinsapaugh

Marrowlight wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

~ Josh

They've gotta be super low though right? It isn't an across the board shift. A guy who has a PP of 13 is no different than one with a PP of 9, etc, yes?

Off the top of my head: I am not sure.

Though even if you do have the numbers wrong you are still right in that regard.

~ Josh
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

I liked the evil Nightbane cyclops chick.

Freeeaky!!!

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
Aramanthus
Monk

I think the "Moons of Jupiter" look great! Congrats on getting something published!

HH....FIE
Apollo Okamura
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Apollo Okamura »

Just a bit of Rifter #39 Errata:

The Moons of Jupiter article was actually illustrated by Ben Rodriguez, not by me, as stated in the Table of Contents.
Aramanthus
Monk

Cool thank you for the update Apollo!

HH....FIE
Josh Sinsapaugh

rat_bastard wrote:so let me get this straight, the pin-up Beat box has a PB of 11?

Turns out she doesn't.

The P.B. of 11 is her non-empowered form. Her empowered form has a much higher P.B.

~Josh
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Two easy fixes:
(a) The whole point of attributes is to define your character. Eliminate the randomness and create a point-buy system. Since there are 8 attributes, you can grant 80-100 points for the players to use. In fact, you could easily create a house rule that offers 80 points toward OCCs that are more powerful, 90 points to those in the midline and 100 points to the weakest OCCs.
OR
(b) Simply extrapolate the RUE bonuses and penalties to their furthest extent which would give you some minor bonus / penalty all the way to the 8 / 14 mark.

My rule is this. If I bought the game and if I am going to do all the work to run the campaign, then the game is mine to bend and twist and rework until I am happy that it does what I want for my group in a way that is best for me. As GM, I am "A Number One Duke of New York" and no book is going to tell me otherwise.

And yeah, a Femme Fatale OCC is a brilliant idea for an NPC. Someone should jump on that puppy ASAP. The HLS idea for every NPC would have definitely increased the selling point for the swimsuit Rifter. Rebis, I suggest you shoot that one up the ladder to the Palladium guys.

A monthly NPC column would be awesome in the Rifter if it had pics, stats, background, personality, roleplay tips and HLS for them.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Josh, please tell me that Amanita's name is an intentional pun. Either way I'm going to smack you :) but i'd like to make sure you're atleast clever enough to do it intentionally.

(For those that haven't clued in. Look at her name, make it three sylables and consider her race....)
Marrowlight
Knight

Spinachcat wrote:Two easy fixes:

I can house rule till I'm blue in the face. In fact, virtually nothing of the core Palladium rule system survives my less than gentle touch whenever I'm GM. With that said, my post was a complaint about how the stuff is officially handled, not my inability to adjust around it. :)

Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

Turns out she doesn't.

The P.B. of 11 is her non-empowered form. Her empowered form has a much higher P.B.

~Josh

Darn right she doesn't! Josh beat me to it, but yeah, she is an Empowered with two forms.
Insert 400 character limit here.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I'll have to call The Strat by Friday & find out of Rifter #39 & SR4:Emergence is in.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
mumah
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

BookWyrm wrote:I'll have to call The Strat by Friday & find out of Rifter #39 & SR4:Emergence is in.

I have artwork in Emergence.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Josh Sinsapaugh

Prince Artemis wrote:Josh, please tell me that Amanita's name is an intentional pun. Either way I'm going to smack you :) but i'd like to make sure you're atleast clever enough to do it intentionally.

(For those that haven't clued in. Look at her name, make it three sylables and consider her race....)

Her name is a pun, but not that pun.

~ Josh
BookWyrm
Champion

mumah wrote:
BookWyrm wrote:I'll have to call The Strat by Friday & find out of Rifter #39 & SR4:Emergence is in.

I have artwork in Emergence.

Sweet! There's a preview on the FanPro site, which one's are yours?
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

BookWyrm wrote:

The third one down.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Prince Artemis wrote:Josh, please tell me that Amanita's name is an intentional pun. Either way I'm going to smack you :) but i'd like to make sure you're atleast clever enough to do it intentionally.

I dont get it. Someone PM me.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Because a piece of art displays a couple of Mechanoids in it along with a scantily clad female. :D DUH!!!
Marrowlight
Knight

The Thin Man robots were lonely.

BookWyrm
Champion

mumah wrote:
BookWyrm wrote:

The third one down.

The cyber-hand drone one? Nice work!
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Thanks! Actually, that piece and the others with it are for Augmentation. There's an Emergence art preview somewhere around there as well.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is very true............ 8)

HH....FIE
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Tags wrote:The first "Swim suit" issue emphasized the beauty of Rifts females. This "Swim suit" issue did not accomplish that as well as the first one did. Giving th "pinups" stats seems frivolous. The space used for that could have been put to better use.

Funny enough, it was something that several fans asked for after the last swimsuit edition. And seeing how it is marketed as optional supplement material, I think stats were rather appropriate (and no, not just because I got to write a set). Oh well, I guess you can't please everyone. :-?

Whatever the case, I will hold to the opinion that the write-ups were better uses of space than pictures of the staffers in various summer apparel. :lol:

On another note: I actually let the dice (and character creation process in-general) decide the stats for Aquaria. However, I may have had to re-roll a stat or two because they didn't fit the character originally. :?
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

I just got my copies today, and overall, I like how it was done. Warwolf, good work on the Aquaria write-up, welcome to the fold. I'm still laughing about having my cyberslinger being named "Dave."

I hate my drawing of La Larona. It is so, so rushed and I thought it was supposed to go in the next issue.

My favorite piece is Mark Dudley's boombox. That's some slick stuff in there, and I'm really digging on Burles' style.
Josh Sinsapaugh

mumah wrote:I just got my copies today, and overall, I like how it was done. Warwolf, good work on the Aquaria write-up, welcome to the fold. I'm still laughing about having my cyberslinger being named "Dave."

I hate my drawing of La Larona. It is so, so rushed and I thought it was supposed to go in the next issue.

My favorite piece is Mark Dudley's boombox. That's some slick stuff in there, and I'm really digging on Burles' style.

I had originally named her "Joe." It was changed to "Dave" during editting, probably because "Dave" is not at all unisex, while "Joe" can be.

~Josh
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

mumah wrote:My favorite piece is Mark Dudley's boombox.

I'm kind of partial to that one, too. :D
Josh Sinsapaugh

Todd Yoho wrote:

Have you seen the color version yet?

~Josh
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Todd Yoho wrote:

~Josh

Yeah. It's good stuff.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

mumah wrote:I just got my copies today, and overall, I like how it was done. Warwolf, good work on the Aquaria write-up, welcome to the fold. I'm still laughing about having my cyberslinger being named "Dave."

Eh, don't beat up on yourself too bad. You did some d*** good work for this one (and you DID do multiple pieces), bask in it. Thanks for the praise, here's hoping people like the upcoming material I'm working on as well. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

mumah wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Todd Yoho wrote:

~Josh

Yeah. It's good stuff.

Hmmm, no, I haven't seen the color version.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Well seeing that having stats attached to the females in this swimsuit Rifter has been announced for several months, why did you pick it up if you thought it was going to be frivolous?

First of all, I didn't bother to follow up on the Rifter or what was going to be in the issue. and since i have every copy since Rifter 1 and a signed copy of Rifter 9 1\2 , I would be stupied to not get it to complete my set.
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Todd Yoho wrote:
mumah wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Todd Yoho wrote:

~Josh

Yeah. It's good stuff.

Hmmm, no, I haven't seen the color version.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/60399776/

That's a link to Dudley's deviantart site.
Marrowlight
Knight

suddenly all I can think of is that creepy bear from Akira.

:shock:

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Don't forget the blue kids.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a very cool color pic of Boombox!! Very nice!

HH....FIE

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”