Just a somewhat odd question on writer's block

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Raven
Explorer

Just a somewhat odd question on writer's block

Unread post by The Raven »

To all the freelancers and other who frequent this wonderful board, I have a question. How do you guys deal with writer's block? In my attempts to finish my submissions, I've gotten writer's block so badly that it is nearly impossible to write. I've got ideas but they won't come out. It may sound selfish, but I want my name on a Rifter article or more, not a "special thanks to" in the older Q&A articles (I'm there, can't remember which issues). Any help in trying to kick this wretched inability to write or ideas on it would be appreciated.
"Women and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it."
-- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, Lazarus Long

Carl Gleba wrote:Well said Raven :ok:
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

Yeah, it's usually a case of "walk away" from it. The seperation relieves the stress and helps the mind gain new focus and perspective when you return to the project, since the block is usually caused by self-imposed pressure.

Another tactic would be to simply start writing something else entirely for a bit and then come back to it. Again, refreshes the focus.

The final tactic would be to hit rewind and either rewrite the thing entirely or rethink what you've already written to see if you can't unsnarl the snag that's preventing you from moving forward.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

The nice thing about RPG's is that they are a bunch of related articles. I usually jump around and work on what sparks my interests at the time. So if one article is giving me a hard time I work on something different.

Or like everyone else mentioned, walk away. Put it down for a day or two. Let the ideas percolate in your head. Then get back to it.

Carl
ImageImage
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

Thats it in a nutshell leave it for a day or two or just startwriting anything at all untill you break through. I have two or three different things that i work on at the same time so if i get stuck on one thing i go to another. If i am stuck on all of them i go for a run and by the time i am finished my brain is bursting with ideas.
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

I agree and practice what's already been said. I just take brainstorming notes leaving no idea behind. If I find that I can't think about it any more, I leave it and work on something else, or don't work on anything else for a few days. I will come back to the notes and add, merge or remove ideas as the details develop and it's a solid idea.

For me, once the idea is formulated and solid, I get a form of "writers block" when the initial creativity and excitement is gone. If I have a solid idea, I just have to force myself to organize, flesh out and setup the stats. That usually takes me the longest to do. If this is your case, just work on it in bits at a time when you feel like it. Look over your initial notes to help you get reaquainted and excited about the idea again.

The problem for me is that I usually don't want to write unless I'm at work, shamefully. When I'm home I have lots of distractions and fun things to do. It's relatively easy to grab 30 minutes while I'm already at a computer at work here and there. :twisted:
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
The Raven
Explorer

Thanks for the ideas. But I've tried most of them already. The idea of starting another project has lead to my currently 'working' (if this utter inability to write can be called working) on six different projects, all different from each other. Trying to walk away from it resulted in a sunburn over two days off doing things outdoors but the writing still does not flow.

The main problem is I know what I want to write, I know the stats, but the 'fluff', the writing that makes the design more then a mishmash collection of stats and makes it into something that feels like it could exist. I can sit down at the computer with a clear idea in the head, but the moment the interface between my chair and the keyboard is engaged, the brain (and muse) disappears. The moment I walk away from the computer (and any way to record ideas) the ideas come back.

I've even tried going back in and revamping old writing, rewriting spots here and there, but it doesn't get anything going for new stuff, or even the expansion of the old stuff so it could be submitted.
"Women and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it."

Big Red
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Big Red »

Boy, can I ever relate. It's been three weeks since I've done any actual writing, and it's killing me. I've done some brainstorming, editing and outlining, but haven't been able to get back into the meat of my writing. I've tried working on my artwork, but that's not going anywhere, either. It's really driving me nuts. Part of the problem has been that my vacation was an actual vacation, and left no time for working on my writing. I think the biggest part of it, though, has been that I'm working on something for work right now as well. Dry, technical crap really drains the creativity out of you. Even the dry, technical stats are more creative than the work stuff, and I just can't get my mind into it. The projects I'm tackling for work are going to take at least another three weeks. I'm hoping I can get past my block before then. I even came down this morning with the intent of forcing myself to pick up where I left off three weeks ago, but couldn't get a single word down.
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

I think I'm having a similar block, but in reverse. I have the concept down fairly well, I just don't have any stats. To me the stats are the drudgery of writing in most cases. What I end up doing is writing the concept out to explain it. Then I've got to put the undescribed stats to it. I use a template method for that so I can see the blank spots.

I also tend to print out the article many times throughout the process. I keep the article (if 1 or 2 pages) printed on one sheet and folded up for reference. If not just a blank folded up half sheet of paper. I usually have a pencil or pen with me for any sudden brainstorms. I don't expect to write anything, but it's available if the instance comes.

Transcribing notes from handwritten ideas into the computer are usually what sparks ideas and finalizations of concepts.

It sounds like you have the technical parts down, just not the story or "fluff" as you call it. What I would recommend, especially if the ideas come at unexpected moments is to have a pen or pencil and a small sheet of paper for notes.

For me, to get the ideas flowing for the "fluff" I ask myself questions depending on what it is you've stat-ed out. If it's a creature or a race, why do they live in the place that they do? What do they eat? What impact for good or bad (sometimes bad monsters have a good side effect) on the environment or people around them? Where did they come from? Are there any weaknesses? Have they been exploited by any heroic or evil being?
If it's an object or weapon you're writing about, ask things like: Why is it preferred? Who opts to use them and why? Where there any interesting events during development? How can it be misused? What is being done to prevent the misuse?

A lot of "fluff" comes from your vision of the thing you're writing about. If you can envision it in action, write about it. Write what it's good for and how people use it in the explanation then show it with the stats. For me, an article is talking up and explaining the concept or item, then showing the stats for it. At the end I'll try to put some adventure ideas.

Another thing I'd recommend is to share the article concept with someone. Have them ask questions about the who's, what's, why's, where's and how's. The questions themselves will spark new interest and forethought. Don't just do this at a computer. Do it in different settings, whenever inspiration hits. Pen and paper does a lot for creativity. It's portable and invaluable.

Finally, don't put too much pressure on yourself at the computer. It can be self defeating. To me, the computer is editing time and time to transcribe notes into sentences and paragraphs. Most of my ideas are hand written. If I don't use the ideas in my article, I put them in a separate text file for future use. I've often meshed old ideas together with a fresh article to get some really good stuff.

Good luck. If you feel so inclined, present your idea in it's general description here to have people give you ideas on how to "fluff" it up.

Good luck.
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
The Raven
Explorer

zor_prime1 wrote:If you feel so inclined, present your idea in it's general description here to have people give you ideas on how to "fluff" it up.

Pretty much I've been on an engineering vehicle kick as of late. Not just military engineering but civilian too. Pre-Chaos Earth and Rifts vehicles. And with pre-cataclysm cities being urban sprawls with mega-skyscrapers, the usage of ground based cranes would be impractical. So the design that is stumping me at the moment is a large VTOL crane vehicle. Yeah stupid idea, but does everything have to make sense? :-)

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

The Raven wrote:
zor_prime1 wrote:If you feel so inclined, present your idea in it's general description here to have people give you ideas on how to "fluff" it up.

Pretty much I've been on an engineering vehicle kick as of late. Not just military engineering but civilian too. Pre-Chaos Earth and Rifts vehicles. And with pre-cataclysm cities being urban sprawls with mega-skyscrapers, the usage of ground based cranes would be impractical. So the design that is stumping me at the moment is a large VTOL crane vehicle. Yeah stupid idea, but does everything have to make sense? :-)

The Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane

i'd say your on safe ground...depending on your approach.

putting a ground crane on a VTOL platform would never work. but a larg VTOL platform with winches and such to lift heavy loads, and a sophisticated position keeping system to avoid drifting around over the work site would make sense.

most likely though, the construction sites merely lift in smaller cranes to mount temporarily onto the tops of the building under construction, which then operate normally. (an old technique dating from the construction of the first skyscrapers). as you finish the section under work, you constantly shift the mounts higher.

personally though, i kinda figured that the golden age cities grew 'down' as much as they grew 'up', moving alot of the roads, apartments, ect into large underground cities created as extensions of the current subways and building foundations. by moving this population underground, they avoid the central cities expanding too much into suburbia, which would be where the 'sprawling' nature of golden age cities are seen.

Arcologies like chitown (which has to be pre-rifts, something that impressive could never get done in the chaos after) would be attempts to combine the underground city and the skyscraper themes into a single planned city, as opposed to the haphazard blend of old and new of the normal cities.

"impromptu" arcologies would be springing up in the normal cities as well, as skyways start connecting each building together directly (bypassing the ground and roads), and Viaduct's are built over existing roads and buildings to hold parks, more roads, more buildings, ect.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Ah writer's block...for me I not only walk away but I have to do something
else, jump on the bike and go for a ride, go see a movie, go for a swim,
anything to clear my head. Its fine to take a few days away from writing
and let your brain cool down, kind of like formating your brain :lol: .
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

I can sit down at the computer with a clear idea in the head, but the moment the interface between my chair and the keyboard is engaged, the brain (and muse) disappears. The moment I walk away from the computer (and any way to record ideas) the ideas come back.

Do you use an actual paper notepad and clipboard? I use this so I can jot down stuff AND don't bother formatting it - get an idea, write down one word, then some note off one side, then off the other side, then a drawing that fits or something. It doesn't have to make sense or look good to anyone else - just enjoy seeing it on paper.

The Raven wrote:The main problem is I know what I want to write, I know the stats, but the 'fluff', the writing that makes the design more then a mishmash collection of stats and makes it into something that feels like it could exist.

You've probably got your head on backwards. For example, one guy once posted that a building would have eight floors before the big boss - now he just needed eight great ideas.

That doesn't work - if its actually a great idea, then its more important than the floor number - the idea should be in control of the floors, not the other way around.

Looks like your doing the same - you've written stats and now just have to do great fluff. No way! To be GREAT fluff it has to be more important than those stats - thus it should be in charge of the stats. Start fluff first, then stats. The reason your blocked is because you keep telling yourself 'stats are in charge of making fluff that is more in charge than stats are'. Obviously something that doesn't make sense.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

When writing, you don't have to put things down in order. If you've only got pieces, write those down first. A few good lines or turn of phrase, put it down. Kevin tells me it's rare for a writer to start on page one and go straight through. In my own writing, I have also found that if I drop in finished pieces with notes indicating how they all connect, I can finish a part and then link it up to another, finish that part, and so on. In the process, I sometimes have alternate ideas or changes pop in, which sometimes are better, or more interesting, than what I have, so I sometimes rewrite.

Working method varies from person to person. Some writers can sit all day and work. I usually take a break, take care of some small chore, and then go back to writing. It usually clears my head. If I get a big block, I'll consider my possible solutions, wait a few hours until something comes to me, or just write down anything just to get the idea out of my head and into the computer. Usually, a solution or end to the block comes up in a few days.

Any beginning writer just has to take it a bit at a time. It's like learning any skill. As you continue to work at it, you will improve. When I write, I'm always looking for the 'cool' factor. And I don't try to get over critical. When I finish something and think it's interesting and cool, I'm done.

Alex Marciniszyn
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

As Alex said, everyone is different (especially writers... we're really "different" :P ). Personally, I operate quite differently in my writing process than any other writer I've ever talked to (I do a lot of my writing and revision in my head, what is typed or written out is generally 90-100% complete other than the odd error here and there).

I've been writing for a while now, though I'm just in the beginning stages of doing so professionally, and writer's block can be a pain. Often times, I find it is real-world issues that occupy my working memory and prevent me from getting things done. I would reccommend walking away for a bit (as several others have suggested) and doing something to take your mind off of the writing. I often find that an activity where you can let your mind rest a bit, like watching a movie, listening to music, etc., works best to clear the mental clutter and let you get back to writing. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
The Raven
Explorer

Well, the writer's block has partially broken. Seems its environmental, aka my current living conditions. So I did get a fair bit of writing done, along with a fairly large amount of notes. Now the question is, does anyone here want to take a peak at some of the ideas? I don't know if I want to post them out in the open here, since I am a bit leery of people going "oh cool idea" and then doing a variant thereof and nerfing my chances of things. Some are pretty well rough, some are mostly finished and just need some of the notes fleshed out further. Just want some other opinions on the stuff and if the idea is worth pursuing as a Rifter submission.

Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Sensory overload or sensory deprevation usually work best for me. Either laying still in a dark room trying not to think of anything and clear my head, or playing video games while listening to load music. Writters block is usually caused by 'too many ideas at once and not sure which to do' which confuses yourself to some extent subconciously which causes the 'where the hell do I start' problem. By clearing your mind and focusing on nothing you can attack the problem from the outside and not dead in the middle.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

The Raven wrote:Now the question is, does anyone here want to take a peek at some of the ideas?

Were I not neck deep in a manuscript at the moment, I would offer my assistance. However, this is the largest voluntary break from writing I have taken from working on my material in days (and that's only because I came to campus to drop off mail). :?
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Not that I've submitted anything...yet.

However, when combatting writer's block, there are three "cures" for it. First, walk away from it for a while/few days/months/etc. Secondly, you can just write *anything* that comes to mind about the subject. Thirdly, start writing something else...ideas for your first can suddenly break through when writing your second item.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”