Beer&Pretzled Wargaming for Rifts?

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

sinestus
Adventurer

Beer&Pretzled Wargaming for Rifts?

Unread post by sinestus »

Right,

so over the years I've batted around a half dozen different ideas for a wargame using whatever's around the house... most notably stuff like old minis, gundam models, and action figures (transformers)....

now i thnk i've finally got one that anyone can learn in under an hour (less than 4 pages of rules for the core set)

and realized, with a couple witty paper-models, it could serve awesomely as a RIFTs wargame. basically, with all the big battles that can happen in-game,
it could serve as a basis for representing those fights and resolving them in a quick enough time that the players could have some say in the course of the war without interupting their regular game too much...

question is,
does anyone care...
should i bother recruiting some friends with skills in paper model design to create a packet large enough to warrent a Rifter submission...
I believe Socrates said it best at, "I drank what?"

"JESUS SAVES! The rest of you take full damage."

They call me Hadoken 'cause I'm down-right fierce.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

that would be awesome! I could actually bring some mini-war gamers players back to my table with something like that, and still be able to sneak in some roleplaying. I'd say go for it.
sinestus
Adventurer

right on... got the basic rules (all whopping 6 pages of 'em....)

now i just need to stat out models...

any suggestions on what models i should stat out default and/or what major conflict i should represent....

i'm half thinkin the xyticis / coalition front... (making the CS armor oriented and the bugs flight oriented...)

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Sinestus, this sounds great....with a few caveats.

1) Six pages sounds light. You may want to go over the rules and flesh them out so people can understand the game without you teaching them.

2) Playtest! Playtest! Playtest! I suggest many, many playtests and even share the rules with other people who will lead their own playtests with their home groups.

3) Does it translate the core concepts of the Megaversal System onto the war game? That's probably your best way to get it into the Rifter.

4) I think the most immediate wargame scenarios would be NGR mecha vs. Gargoyles, CS vs. Tolkeen forces and CS vs. them Bugs! But most importantly, I recommend creating a point system so people can build their own armies so then people could translate units from any Palladium book into your wargame.
sinestus
Adventurer

Spinachcat wrote:Sinestus, this sounds great....with a few caveats.

1) Six pages sounds light. You may want to go over the rules and flesh them out so people can understand the game without you teaching them.

after adding the basics of "line of sight" and "terrain" it'll be about 10... and yes, that's "pick up and play" capable...

2) Playtest! Playtest! Playtest! I suggest many, many playtests and even share the rules with other people who will lead their own playtests with their home groups.

that's the current stage i'm in...
thru playtesting, define the units, armies, etc... for the rest of the article

3) Does it translate the core concepts of the Megaversal System onto the war game? That's probably your best way to get it into the Rifter.

that's the hard part...
to speed up game play, i ditched the d20. it's an engine that'll have basically nothing but design concepts connecting it to the base engine. no "translate the PCs into the wargame" mentality... yet...

4) I think the most immediate wargame scenarios would be NGR mecha vs. Gargoyles, CS vs. Tolkeen forces and CS vs. them Bugs! But most importantly, I recommend creating a point system so people can build their own armies so then people could translate units from any Palladium book into your wargame.

having "custom" units is the core plan.
right now, the system is all custom units, where an army is defined by it's "core" trait....
the idea was, for custom armies, players would follow this trait design, but the "pre-made" armies wouldn't be locked in to all units having similar balance...
not sure that's gona work tho...

Benito Pulatso
Explorer

Unread post by Benito Pulatso »

I like the idea. I'd like to see Psi-Stalkers vs. Bugs.

Also, is this a Warhammerish squad based wargame, or more D&D Minis (or tactics style video game)? Going by what you've stated it seems more Warhammerish, but could you see it being pared down to an individual unit style wargame?
bar1scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bar1scorpio »

Ever play BrikWars? That's the one you play with Legos.
"The World Will be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead Ninja High School
sinestus
Adventurer

heh... yeah, i debated writing up Rifts default builds for Legos...

back when i saw a lego CS deaths head transport and one of the heavy apcs...
deadboys and all..

alas, never bookmarked the page...

as for "what scale"

actually, since i'm more a fan of skirmish battling, the current write-up is designed to handle both scales..

on the "skirmish" level, each "unit" is a single model with multiple HP...
on the "battle" level, "units" are your heavy walkers and the like, with infantry only getting a cluster of 1 HP models that have to fire as a group to have effect on "units"

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”